Capturing Footage: Always .avi's? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 9th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #1
New Boot

Capturing Footage: Always .avi's?

I'm using Vegas 5.0. Is all footage always captured as .avi files? Are there any other file types that footage can be captured as? What's the best type for quality?

thanks,

Jeremy
Jeremy D. Rumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Well, if you're on a PC, and since you're running Vegas, then you are, then all the clips will be captured as .avi, unless you're doing HD, then they'd be captured as .m2t.

I think Macs capture as .mov (Quicktime), because that is the default media player for that OS, just as Window's is .avi.

I hope that helps.

SB
Steven Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

The term "Capture" is really a mis-nomer. When pulling in video from MiniDV, it's really more equivalent to a "file copy" from the tape to the hard drive. "AVI" is just the file "type" that is given to the file and is just a wrapper for the real information inside.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for quick replies!
Jeremy D. Rumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
The term "Capture" is really a mis-nomer. When pulling in video from MiniDV, it's really more equivalent to a "file copy" from the tape to the hard drive. "AVI" is just the file "type" that is given to the file and is just a wrapper for the real information inside.
This is a oft-argued point(!)

In many ways, it is more like a capture than not. The camcorder (or whatever), blindly streams the DV data to any FireWire device (e.g., PC) that happens to be listening. If the receiver misses a packet, it's gone - forever. The "file copy" scenario would work differently - the receiver would control the flow of data. The data sent over the FireWire connection is also not arranged in the same way as it is on tape (I've buried my head in the DV specs for too long!) and there's extra information on the tape that doesn't get transmitted (error correction etc).

In the streaming data model, the PC "grabs" the data that are being streamed - so "capture" is appropriate.

Also, with the packet analogy, it's similar to "packet capturing" using in networking.

Sometime in the last decade, though, someone decided that "capturing video" is exclusively the domain of analog signals. I don't know who that someone was, but I believe that they were/are misguided!

I'm sure today for every proponent of the term "capture", there is an opponent....
John Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...