Constrain left/right movement on timeline at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 28th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Constrain left/right movement on timeline

Is it possible to constrain horizontal movement (ie position in time) when using the mouse to move an event up or down into a different track?

I'm aware of using 2 and 8 on the numeric keypad but I'm curious about using the mouse.

Nothing immediately springs up when searching this forum or looking through Vegas Help.

Cheers.

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Ian, before I discovered just how useful the 2 & 8 keys were, I'd drop a marker at the event's start. That way, I knew I couldn't go wrong :-)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yeah, good idea Mike. To be honest, since the coloured 'snap to edge' guides were introduced it's been less of an issue. The thing is I got so used to being able to use Alt or Shift-drag to move an event in Cakewalk Sonar that I have always missed it in Vegas! Sad, I know!

Cheers.

Ian . . .
Old May 29th, 2007, 04:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Sooo, what's the trick to getting the 2/8 to work? Tried it today and ended up going back to Mike's dropped marker, because nothing happened. I selected a clip and tried using the 8 key to move it from track 7 to track 2 - nada... Steve
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Couple of things to check, Steve (in order of likeliness to be the cause, imho):

1. Is Num Lock on? If it isn't then I think all that happens is the timeline zooms in or out.

2. Are you using a laptop where the numeric keypad is combined with other keys? If so do you need to press a key (like Fn) to activate it?

3. Have you changed any of the default keystroke commands?

If it isn't any of these then I'm stumped!

Cheers.

Ian . . .
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:06 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Ian, it's probably the numlock, don't normally have it on. I'll check that soon as I'm back on the machine in question... Steve
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:53 PM   #7
Old Boot

I'm all for making our pointing devices work better/seamlessly/fluidly and so on - I am!

What is it you would be wanting? A Left Or Right Button PLUS Keystroke to "Lock 'n Move"? - Have you tried Ctrl PLUS RIGHT Click+Hold and Drag UP? This gives me:

1] A LOCK of the Original Event postion in Time

2] PLUS it gives BROWN Snaps to FIRMLY locate

3] PLUS you get the further option to MOVE, COPY or Cancel

Not what you are after?
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 01:10 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Grazie,

Thanks for that - not exactly what I was thinking of though. It's more the copied clip (or rather the clip being moved) that I was hoping to 'lock in time' and move up or down - just as the 2 and 8 keys do. Your method (interesting though it is!) only locks the source clip.

Like you, I'm all for making pointing devices easier and anything that makes me have to move my right hand from keyboard to mouse or vice versa is, in my opinion, a pita.

How is your Shuttle working out. Does it have these kind of edit functions? How much time do you spend moving from mouse to shuttle to keyboard etc?

Have a good weekend.

Ian . . .
Old June 2nd, 2007, 08:45 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Graham, thanks for that - it sounds like just what I need a lot of the time.

I'm also considering a Shuttle Pro, is that what you have and if so, what's your "tuppence" on it?

Gonna be doing more edits tonite, I'll definitely try the ctrl/right click thing, thanks again... Steve
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...