Render Hangs in Vegas 7.0c at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 12th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #1
Major Player

Render Hangs in Vegas 7.0c

Hey gang- I looked at the older posts on this problem but still can't figure out whats going on. I'm getting periodic hangs when rendering to an AVI file. I'm trying render a 4 minute clip using HD files and some photos (the largest photos are about 400K). I've been able to successfully render similar size projects after multiple trys. The project I'm working now however will never complete. It doesn't hang in the same place though. At the same time ( but not every time a render hangs) I sometimes get an error indicating a missing file - it then asks me if I want to search and replace. Not sure if the issues are related. I'm on version 7.0c - should I try upgrading to e? I also have 1gig RAM which I know is not enough but would it be causing the issues I'm having? Any suggestions appreciated.
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I had a similar problem (not with HD footage though) on the weekend.
One render (5 nested vegs) kept crashing. It didn't matter if I chose AVI or MPEG-2. Finally I dropped my render threads from 4 to 1. Problem solved!!
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Varga View Post
...using HD files and some photos (the largest photos are about 400K)...
Issues with rendering photos from the timeline are not related to the photo file size, but to the pixel dimensions and file format.

.tif - usually bad
.jpg - usually OK
.png - OK
.tga - OK

Generally, pixel dimensions should be 1x to 2x the project resolution. So, if you are working with HDV rez timeline, pixel dimensions would be between 1440x1080 and 2880x2160. The figuring can get a little more complicated if you are not using the photo full-frame, or zooming in on it.

BTW, you should upgrade to the latest Vegas 7 release, 7.0e, for a myriad of small bug fixes.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Mike - changed the render threads to 1 and no hangs! Rendering takes longer but at this point I'm very happy to live with that. I am going to upgrade to 7.0e (after I complete this project) I'll advise if that has any impact on this issue. Thanks again!
Art Varga is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...