DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/98077-vegas-video-discussions-2004-q3q4.html)

Glen Elliott August 23rd, 2004 08:42 AM

Make sure you calibrate your television to the best of your ability using Vegas's NTSC or PAL Color bars under the Generated Media tab.

There is a few links online that explain how to calibrate using color bars. The biggest downfall of televisions is the lack of a blue gun option to set the color saturation. I always feel confident regarding the luminance/gamma but am never sure if my saturation is set correctly.

Dave Philips August 23rd, 2004 10:03 AM

window docking area

somehow I messed up my window docking area at the bottom of the screen, it normally will have trimmer, explorer, etc on the left and a preview screen on the right, now I just have one long window on the bottom, anyone know how to restore this back to the split windows.
thanks, Dave

Dave Philips August 23rd, 2004 10:12 AM

got it!

I did a search on restore, and opened up vegas while holding down ctrl & shift.

cool!

Dave

Edward Troxel August 23rd, 2004 10:45 AM

Remember that after starting Vegas this way that ALL of the preferences you have changed are also reset. You will need to modify them to your liking again.

Lorraine Boyle August 23rd, 2004 11:00 AM

option that controls files / memory use?

Hi,

It seems as though Vegas is doing a reinventory of all it's media files everytime it's window regains focus. If this is the case, then is there a switch to turn off or modify this behavior?

I'm just getting started with Vegas. After importing a large number of .mov files, Vegas has slowed to a crawl on initial load and every time it's window regains screen focus. Once loaded, working within the application is reasonably speedy as long as no other window is brought up - including a capture window.

OK obviously it's paging heavily so I've ordered more memory: going from 512 to 1G (and expect to have to add more soon). But also hoping there is an option somewhere in the program that will help alleviate this problem considering I still have quite a few clips to capture and the amount of paging going on.

thanks - L

Edward Troxel August 23rd, 2004 11:06 AM

Basically, Vegas "lets go" of the files so that other program can access them. For example, if you have a photo on the timeline and you want to edit that photo, you could just open your photo editing program (such as Photoshop), edit it, and when you return to Vegas the timeline would be updated.

If you do not wish for Vegas to "let go" of the files, go to Options - Preferences and UNCHECK "Close media files when not the active application"

Marcia Janine Galles August 23rd, 2004 11:07 AM

Update

Just in case anyone else out there is thinking of using big drives with the Sony Video Capture utility, the above issue indeed appears to be a glitch in the software after all. As per this post, once the 500 gig drive which I knew had plenty of room on it filled the 12 hours it was showing available, it immediately kicked over and read 24 hours (more) available (in the middle of a capture) as soon as that time expired. And it didn't even hiccup.
Marcia

Edward Troxel August 23rd, 2004 11:51 AM

So, it sounds like the 36 hours free was read in Vegas as "24 + 12" because the hour field won't go above 24. Perhaps they should add a "Days" section :-)

01:12:00:00:00 (i.e. 1 day 12 hours + however many minutes, seconds, and frames)

Bob Safay August 23rd, 2004 01:10 PM

Douglas, I saw your vegas 5 book for sale on Amazon. When does it come out? Bob Safay

Lorraine Boyle August 23rd, 2004 02:08 PM

Edward,

That was just the ticket!

Many thanks for your help.

- L

Gino Montoya August 23rd, 2004 04:33 PM

Fade to black / subtitles

Hi.

I have two inquiries:

1. Is there a way to do a sharp fade to black in Vegas?
When I use the crossfade tool (the envelope cursor), the image gets blurred before fading out.
I understand this happens because what it actually does is increase the opacity level.

2. I was trying to create subtitles (over-imposed), but the previewed image "stutters" or becomes blurred (I fixed my "blurred titles" problem, setting the preview quality to best, but this other problem still happens)

Thanks

Tor Salomonsen August 24th, 2004 12:23 AM

Put a solid black generated media on the track below your video where the fade is. Stuttering titles can sometimes be fixed with the Reduce interlace flicker setting (event properties). Sometimes Force resample, too, helps. These settings are not there by default, because they take a little longer to render.

Vince Debart August 24th, 2004 07:42 AM

WTB Vegas 4 DVD

HI
Am looking for the training DVD, CD ,VHS for Vegas 4

anyone have one they want to sell

Thanks

Vince
vjdebart@ispwest.com

Glen Elliott August 24th, 2004 08:35 AM

I have the Class on Demand Vegas 4 series-Email me.

Cosmin Rotaru August 24th, 2004 10:29 AM

thanks Rob. English is not my native language...