DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/98077-vegas-video-discussions-2004-q3q4.html)

Rob Lohman September 8th, 2004 01:41 AM

1. which program did you use to capture with?

2. are you seeing this jaggies on the preview? or media player? or watching on TV?

3. are all the settings for interlaced / progressive correct?

Josh Bass September 8th, 2004 04:43 AM

Yes, I am compressing to reduce file size. The judges in that contest said a CD-R is okay, and CDs only hold 700mb. Completely uncompressed, as an AVI file, the reel takes up about 944 mb. I suppose I could screw around with just lowering the quality slightly, or something, reducing the framerate. . whatever, I don't know, and still making it an AVI, and if I can knock off the extra 244mb that way, but MPEG-4 just seemed like a better option, and likewise with the WM9.

If I make a DVD, I'll have to take a raw AVI file to the person doing it for me.

Peter Jefferson September 8th, 2004 06:33 AM

1. which program did you use to capture with?
'((Vidcap 4 AND 5... ))

2. are you seeing this jaggies on the preview? or media player? or watching on TV?

((Everything.. on TV it looks like terrible vertical scanlines, on a monitor, thru the edit monitor.. BUT...
When i watch the raw footage, the jaggies arent there.. in Mediaplayer, everything is fine.. on output thru the faw file, its not there.. only thru vegas is it there..

3. are all the settings for interlaced / progressive correct?
((yeah... ive tried various settings, from file level through to project level.. the only way i can get it to work properly with proper proportions in Vegas (and ONLY Vegas) is to use square pixels (768x576) which isnt standard...
but more importantly, its ONLY from footage taken by the DVX100 (PAL)
Now the camera is fine, ive tested the footage on other editing suites as well as other capture devices.. but the footage thats being taken into vegas shows these Jaggies..

now, ive just opened up Vegas5.. threw the same clip at the exact same point lo and behold this problem doesnt exist...
Its just V4...

I mean ALL the settings ARE identical.. in Vegas four AND Vegas 5.. so why isnt it working for me in Vegas 4.......
Im using a pal aspect of 1.0926 for both apps, the base file is the also useing this ratio...

I still cant decipher where its coming from but the only workable solution is to use Square pixels.... which is something i DONT want to do..

I mean im SURE someone has had this phenomenon??

Paul Jason September 8th, 2004 06:41 AM

I agree with you Glen, Very informative and well put together. Great job Gary!!!! I missed the Easter egg:-/ Please share how to find this for us who are a little on the slow to find things side...:-))

Rob Lohman September 8th, 2004 06:42 AM

WHICH version of Vegas 4 you have running? I remember they
had a fix for the DVX in one their updates. Then again if it works
under 5 your at least saved yourself for now.

Neil McLean September 8th, 2004 07:51 AM

Can someone please tell me what the 'Ken Burns' effect relates to?

Thanks
Neil

Peter Jefferson September 8th, 2004 08:14 AM

yeah i know, but ive had to re-render another project, which is slowing down my workload...

not happy.. but i do recall the DVX update.. i thought the update was for the 24p pulldown???

by the way, im running, 4.0d Build 2.05

Rob Lohman September 8th, 2004 08:38 AM

That should be okay. There was one newer release, 4.0e but
I think Edward mentioned this only had the Sony name on there
and nothing else was changed. Can always try it out, ofcourse.

Otherwise this might be some sort of PAL bug (there still is one
in the capture application in regards to PAL) that just never was
fixed in 4.0. Who knows.

Edward Troxel September 8th, 2004 08:45 AM

Basically, it's just adding movement to the images: Zoom in, zoom out, pan across...

I explain how to build this type of slidesow in my newsletter (link under my name). Very simple in Vegas using Pan/Crop.

Edward Troxel September 8th, 2004 08:48 AM

Here's what changed betweeen 4.0d and 4.0e (besides the "Sony" name)

Notable fixes/changes in version 4.0e
URL flip metadata commands are now supported when rendering to RealMedia 9.

A bug has been fixed that caused gain reduction when track envelopes are used and the pan mode was set to Constant Power.

A bug that prevented Vegas from closing some DV files has been fixed.

A bug has been fixed that could cause Vegas to crash when pressing the Down Arrow key when the Master bus fader has focus.

Keith Loh September 8th, 2004 09:43 AM

Before computers it used to be done using something called a 'rostrum camera' which is familiar to any of us who have worked in traditional animation.

About the rostrum camera

Peter Jefferson September 8th, 2004 09:46 AM

its really bloody wierd to tell u the truth..

i mean i cant explain these vertical lines.. but ive ALWAYS had them..

Neil McLean September 8th, 2004 11:03 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

I've d/l all your newsletters Ed.

Many thanks once again
Neil

Glen Elliott September 8th, 2004 11:15 AM

Oh c'mon- if I told you how to find it...it wouldn't be an easter egg now would it! lol

Hint- it's on Disc 2, chapter selection menu.

Andres Koppel September 8th, 2004 03:41 PM

Vegas 5.0 and third party mpeg2 encoders.

I am not very happy with any of the results I get encoding my avi files with Vegas 5.0 CBR or VBR. My bigger but is the quality of high lights that tend to break -lose detail-

I work mainly in Pal with DV captured with a Panasonic GS400.

Have you tried any third party encoders that will give better results, or Vegas mainconcept is as good as it gets. I have read lots about Canopus procoder, but for $600 is too expensive. TMPGEnc maybe?

This is my first post at this forum and I come from a non English speaking country so sorry for any incorrections.

Andrés
Madrid