Canon HV20 M2T footage to AVI in Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 19th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon HV20 M2T footage to AVI in Vegas

I need to convert a clip from my HV20 24F footage to an AVI file. I know how to do this, but the problem is that the file does not run smoothly, it's very jerky and or has severe combing in it. So is there a way for me to convert M2T 24f footage to AVI so that it plays smoothly? Thanks.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #2
Major Player

Are you removing pulldown on the 24P HDV before you bring it to the Vegas timeline? There are threads in the HV10/20 Forum on how to do this.

What type of AVI file are you making?
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Bruner View Post
Are you removing pulldown on the 24P HDV before you bring it to the Vegas timeline? There are threads in the HV10/20 Forum on how to do this.

What type of AVI file are you making?
Honestly, I have no clue as to what I'm doing. Would it be possible for you to point me to the link? Thanks.

PS. Before I got Vegas 7, I do remember using HDV Split and Virtual Dub to somehow get the footage to play smoothly, but I don't remember exactly what I did.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #4
Major Player

Eugenia Loli has created a step-by-step procedure using freeware tools for removing pulldown from the HV20's video. You can also do this with Cineform Neo or with TMPEGenc 4. Either way will result in a transcode from M2TS (MPEG2) to another codec. With Cineform, you get their CFHD lossless (but less compressed) file. Using the freeware, you can use a variety of codecs, depending on what you have on your computer. Lagarith lossless probably generates the smallest files of the uncompressed codecs. Once you have removed the pulldown, you can put files from either codec on the Vegas timeline and render progressive 24P out to whatever AVI-type file you want.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 11:17 PM   #5
Major Player

It may be choking b/c an HD .avi file is relatively less compressed than the .m2t. In other words, it may just be too big for your computer to playback smoothily (also it depends on what you're using to play back your footage.) Probably doesn't have anything to do with pulldown removal (though removing redundant frames may make the file smaller and more easily playable.)
Old July 20th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks guys. The link that Guy provided worked fine. I did have to render the final AVi from that process in Vegas to an 24p intermediate, though.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...