Black Screen on my brand new HD1 Help! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old June 16th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #31
Regular Crew

"lens assembly" might include the chip attached to the back of the lens.. kind of... :-)

Bo

www.bophoto.com/HDV
Old June 17th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Re: My 'Black Screen' problem was repaired under warranty!

The repair only lasted one day!

Today, it is back to the constant 'Black Screen' state.

Back to square-one.
Old June 19th, 2006, 01:02 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Maybe it got jolted around in transit to the center and caused a loss connection/component to reconnect (or maybe a faulty component discharged). They might have then thought it was something to do with the lens assembly instead.

It is unlikely to be iris or shutter multifunction. Probably best to explain that no menus or screen data appears at all.
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:50 PM   #34
New Boot

Me Too...

OK, I'll have to admit that when I first glanced _very_ quickly at this thread I thought the original poster just didn't know how to turn the camera on (you know, "black screen"). But the other day I pulled my HD1 out to try to take a picture, and now I've got the exact same problem. It's as if there's no light on the CCD - though I never took a picture with the lens cap on to make a precise comparison. P-Autoexposures maxed out to f/3.5 and 1/2 sec, and only recording black in movie or picture modes.

I'll be interested to see how effective the "repair" is for other people, so please let us know!
Old June 21st, 2006, 06:12 AM   #35
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett Barnes
OK, I'll have to admit that when I first glanced _very_ quickly at this thread I thought the original poster just didn't know how to turn the camera on (you know, "black screen"). But the other day I pulled my HD1 out to try to take a picture, and now I've got the exact same problem. It's as if there's no light on the CCD - though I never took a picture with the lens cap on to make a precise comparison. P-Autoexposures maxed out to f/3.5 and 1/2 sec, and only recording black in movie or picture modes.

I'll be interested to see how effective the "repair" is for other people, so please let us know!

Oh my! This "black lcd" problem seems quite widespread. It's gotta be either a design flaw or a manufacturing flaw.

Why doesn't Sanyo just recall the whole shebang and start over?
Old June 21st, 2006, 06:15 AM   #36
New Boot

To add to this: I was at a Fry's Electronics in the San Francisco area yesterday and they had an HD1 on display.

Guess what?! That display model had the "black lcd" virus as well. Quite frustrating as I was there to hold the unit in my hand and see how it feels. I love the form factor and small size.

Too bad about this black lcd disease.
Old June 21st, 2006, 09:48 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Barbino
Oh my! This "black lcd" problem seems quite widespread. It's gotta be either a design flaw or a manufacturing flaw.

Why doesn't Sanyo just recall the whole shebang and start over?
It shipped with bugs and we are yet to see a firmware update. Hopefully they can do a recall. I have stopped advising people to buy the camera, it was obvious that this bug might be wide spread.
Old June 21st, 2006, 03:52 PM   #38
New Boot

OK, looks like I'm going down the same road that Maury already did above: I'm supposed to ship it to Studio City in order to change the "lens assembly." I'm thinking that this is going to be as successful for me as it was for him...
Old June 21st, 2006, 04:04 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Rhett,

Keep us posted please. This is really becomming a concern, mine have not shown any problems "yet" living in my backpack, but Im starting to think its only a matter of time.

Bo

www.bophoto.com/HDV
Old June 21st, 2006, 04:39 PM   #40
Regular Crew

While we are talking about the screens, please note that they are very delicate. Mine has two small gashes now that reflect back in gold when the sun hits them, and I have no recollection of hitting it, though it is perfectly possible I did in my active use of the camera.
Old June 21st, 2006, 05:25 PM   #41
New Boot

Sanyo should have better business sense than this. To keep selling a product that they know is defective will only give people a poor view of the company.

The buyer deserves a well tested product. He/She shouldn't be a "beta tester" for the company.

While I was at Fry's yesterday, I also held and played with a Panasonic SDR-100. It's similar in form factor to the HD1 (although I admit I like the HD1's pistol grip better).

This Panasonic only captures DVD resolution video but I can see myself getting one of these when Panasonic finally incorporates the AVCHD standard into it as they have stated they would.

Good things going for the Panasonic:
-3 CCD
-Optical Stabilized lens (which I hear works great)
-lens made my LEICA
Old June 21st, 2006, 07:02 PM   #42
New Boot

I am now on my third camera. The first two from prestige both had this problem. I just recieved my third camera from Amazon and it seems to be working fine so fare but I am just waiting for the black screen to come back. Does anyone know what the labor cost is to have it fixed if it is out of the 90 day labor warranty?
Old June 21st, 2006, 10:01 PM   #43
Regular Crew

It may be good to compare serial numbers on failing units. I got mine in Feb and it's running strong. Not a grey market unit.
Old June 21st, 2006, 10:06 PM   #44
Inner Circle

Scratching

For a few years there has been a dvd coating that is virtually scratch proof, not even steel wool, and I read a report of one guy that attacked it painfully with a swiss pocket knife in order to scratch it. Chemical diamond coatings have been around for 2 decades, so it is not very acceptable, except in the case where it is the anti-reflective or glare coating getting scratched, that would have to go on top of such a coat. But is is pretty obvious this does not have such a coat.
Old June 24th, 2006, 07:15 AM   #45
New Boot

My HD1 now has the "black screen disease"

Have had it for about 2 months pulled it out to video tape and black screen is all I got. Looks like I will begin the process. We should get a petition going for a recall. This is ridiculous. Is there a head count of how many this has happened to? Add me to the list.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)