Black Screen on my brand new HD1 Help! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old June 25th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #46
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Barbino
While I was at Fry's yesterday, I also held and played with a Panasonic SDR-100. It's similar in form factor to the HD1 (although I admit I like the HD1's pistol grip better).

This Panasonic only captures DVD resolution video but I can see myself getting one of these when Panasonic finally incorporates the AVCHD standard into it as they have stated they would.

Good things going for the Panasonic:
-3 CCD
-Optical Stabilized lens (which I hear works great)
-lens made my LEICA

After seeing my HD1, a coworker bought the FX01 Lumix, which (I believe) has the same Leica lens and optical stabilization and shoots in SD 16:9 at 30fps on a single CCD. From what I've seen of this thing, including comparison shots with the HD1, the results are VERY impressive. He took some hand-held shots that were incredible. The FX01 owner says that his shots look as good as my HD1 when blown up to the same size, and I have to admit qualitatively he has a point sometimes. I know there's a difference in the number of pixels, blur and the "diagonal problem" really work to degrade the image of the HD1 except under controlled conditions.

That said, I'll be VERY interested any attempts by Panasonic to add HD to this platform, even with a single CCD at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wells
It may be good to compare serial numbers on failing units. I got mine in Feb and it's running strong. Not a grey market unit.

I meant to post the serial number before I sent it out for repair, but I completely forgot. It's a US model bought from Amazon in the middle of May. It's had little use so far, and no abuse.
Old June 26th, 2006, 04:33 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett Barnes
That said, I'll be VERY interested any attempts by Panasonic to add HD to this platform, even with a single CCD at first.
I'm very interested if their will be a HD Lumix version too, even using X3.

Have you heard anything about HD versions, or any connection to AVCHD.
Old June 26th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #48
New Boot

Hi All,

I've been following this Thread since May when it started.

Anyway since then, I have basiclly bought 2 Sanyo VPC-HD1's and a Sanyo VPC-C6. I thought I'd share my experience with the world on my own blog. Seeing how this is directly related to this thread, I thought I'd post the link - http://www.cubicgarden.com/blojsom/b...Camcorder.html

Once I get the broken and working HD1 shipped to me over here in the UK, I'll post the serial numbers and join the shout for Sanyo to sort out this problem. Its funny because I had a problem with my Sanyo S750 phone and Bluetooth a year ago, till Orange (my phone operator) finally caved in and replaced the phone with new firmware.

Fingers crossed the blank screen problem is limited to a very small batch.
Old June 26th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #49
New Boot

Sanyo says lense mechanism problem

Just called Sanyo and they gave me addres to have fixed. they said that all the orginal batch of hd1 has the bad lense mech. They have replaced the problem lenses with the new ones they are sending out.
Old June 26th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #50
Major Player

"[Sanyo] said that all the orginal batch of hd1 has the bad lense mech"

Hope I don't treat my unit with such respect that the lens only goes after the 12 month warranty has expired.
Old June 26th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #51
Tourist

I was just about to buy an HD1 from bhphoto. But, how can I know I do not get a unit from the "original batch" with "bad lens mech."? I was concerned when I saw the HD1 "ON CLEARANCE" at amazon.

Perhaps someone who has made a recent purchase could report? Or, does one need to know the serial number sequence of the "original batch"?
Old June 26th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #52
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Svare
Perhaps someone who has made a recent purchase could report? Or, does one need to know the serial number sequence of the "original batch"?
Hi Craig,

I bought a unit from Amazon.com that had the "clearance" icon next to the listing. Have not had the black screen problem but then again, it's only been a few days.

I'm using it everyday, so if my unit has a problem, it should pop up soon. I don't worry about it much because I'm capturing memories and as they say...those are "priceless" !
Old June 26th, 2006, 06:33 PM   #53
New Boot

Call sanyo and see what "orginal batch" serial #s are

I would do this before making purchase as they are only replacing lenses if problem arises during warrenty period, according to the rep I talk to. So keep your invoices.
Old July 6th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Black Screen / Lens issue

I got the black screen I sent my camera into their Care Clinic. I posted details and my serial number in this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=70788

tup
Old July 7th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #55
New Boot

OK, I got my HD1 back from the "Customer Care Center" today, at a little over two weeks round trip. The "Lens Assembly" has been replaced, and it does indeed work for the moment. I haven't been very hard on the camera, and I'm worried that it may fail again, only after the warrantee period is over due to my light usage. We'll see.

By the way, my serial number is 039106xx (I don't know why people avoid posting their full serial numbers, but there must be some point). It's for the U.S. market.
Old July 11th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #56
Tourist

I bought the service manual pdf

S/N 03910xxx. Black screen problem after couple of weeks. Tapping fixed only few days. Sanyo refused warranty because Ebay purchase. Anyone know the cost to replace the lens assembly? Don't know if I should try to fix myself. If anyone is interested in the service manual, let me know. Thanks.
Old July 11th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #57
Regular Crew

I'd push the issue with Sanyo. Ebay purchase or not, it's a Sanyo camera. It was produced by Sanyo and they were paid their asking price for it by the wholesaler they supplied it to.

I understand the issue with grey market, but it seems a might bold for Sanyo to just close the doors due to your chosen vendor. I'd push them on the grounds that they don't have an effective distribution channel established. My gut feel is that you were probably offered little choice. When I wanted my camera, I had to call Sanyo direct, who put me in touch with the Canadian wholesaler, who put me in touch with a second distributor, who in turn directed me to the only Sanyo dealer in my area... an electrical contracting supplier that is only active in the wholesale market. He was good to deal with and I appreciated his help greatly; still, isn't it a might absurd to have to go through that just to buy a product? If they are so bold as to refuse you service on the grounds that you chose a distributor they didn't approve, perhaps they should consider the limited options they provided you in the first place.

On a side-note, Sanyo should be managing its distribution channel, not expecting you to. Why is Sanyo giving you the grind when it was one of their distribution partners that leaked the product to an unqualified seller? If they have such an issue with it, they should track it through their channel and punish the distributor, not you. You're the faithful Sanyo client; they should love you.

Hopefully this didn't come off as a rant. I just have no patience for manufacturers that refuse warrantee based on shortsighted thinking. Your black screen is not uncommon and it wasn't caused by your vendor. And as you are simply a trusting client, their choice to turn their back on you seems wrong. I think you should escillate the issue.
Old July 12th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #58
Tourist

Same story for my Sanyo HD1. I purchased my HD1 back in April from Prestige Camera, and was a happy camper for about a month. (For the record, I love this camera. I carried it every where I went, and shot more video in one month then I did with all my previous cameras combined.) Then one day I pulled it out to use and the screen was black, so I tapped it and then things worked normal. This happen about three times then tapping stopped fixing the problem. (Shaking the camera violently and cursing didn't seem to work either). I called up Sanyo support to see about getting the camera repaired, this is where they dropped the bomb shell about the fact the warranty is invalid since I bought a grey market camera from a unapproved dealer. I was so furious the next phone call I made was to my credit card company to dispute the charge. A few days later I got a phone call from Prestige and they offered to replace the camera, but after reading the post by Nathan Pease about being on his 3rd camera from Prestige I decide to just return the camera instead until this glitch is worked out.

After all that I still want to purchase another HD1 or something equivalent, but I’m afraid of having to go through this whole mess again. Has it been determined if the black screen issue has been resolved in the newer batches? Is this primarily a problem with grey market HD1’s or are all units affected? I’m not sure what to do, but I’m in need of a camcorder very soon and prefer the compactness and widescreen capability of the HD1.
Old July 24th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #59
Regular Crew

Wack it. it works :-) mine did it a few times. Give it a good bump (dont break it mind you) and it will "pop" back on.

Then again mine did not give system error when I switched to playback so your likely got a much worse problem than I had.

I also had a grey market issue and the vendor refused to honor the warranty so I took my money back via my credit card (NEVER ever pay by any means BUT a credit card you TRUST)

Finally got the credit will be shipping there unit back and ordering from amazon.

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
Old July 29th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #60
Regular Crew

I hope the community aspect of this forum doesn't extend to this issue.

My lens assembly just failed. I've had the camera for 1/3rd of a year and this is the first issue, but its a major one. It goes in Monday.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)