Which one would you buy? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

View Poll Results: Between the XH G1 and XH A1, which one would you buy?
XH G1 for $7000, because I need the pro jacks and SDI. 40 10.00%
XH A1 for $4000, I don't need those pro jacks nor SDI. 360 90.00%
Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 26th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Which one would you buy?

I can't help it, I've got to ask. Trust me, no dealer has put me up to this... nor Canon... I'm just curious, for our members here who while not constituting the entire market for these camcorders, certainly do account for some particular slice of it...

If you're actually thinking about buying one of these, which one do you have your eye on? The basic A1 for $4000, or the SDI-equipped G1 for $7000? I just want to get a grip on where the primary interest lays among our membership.

If the answer is "neither," then please don't vote. But if you're seriously considering one, then I'm wondering which one it would be. As for myself, I went with the A1. It's all I need.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #2
Major Player

To be honest, the Genlock is the most important one to me.
The ability to plug into any profesional (or non profesional) system and have it available as a source is big news for me. Just as with the XL-H1, coupled with the SDI output, this makes this camera a $7000 fully conectable studio camera. After the Canons, the next camera caiplable of dooing this costs tens of thousands, not counting the lens. - And PAL/NTSC switchability costs even more.

- Mikko

Last edited by Mikko Wilson; July 26th, 2006 at 04:06 PM.
Mikko Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

As a filmmaker, I'm a one-camera man, so I don't need all those extra features, though they are nice.

Do both cameras come with component out?

heath
Old July 26th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Yup, component out on both, see http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....&postcount=121

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm mainly interested in the A1. At this point the A1 fills every requirement I have for a small "B" camera: long run time, small form factor, inexpensive (relatively), and a wide to very telephoto lens. The improved AF and the OIS are also great bonuses.

I'm glad that Canon is pricing these cameras aggressively. The A1 MSRP is basically the same as the DVX100B! I don't know why anyone would buy the DVX100 now. These cameras are going to totally dominate the prosumer market unless Sony or Panasonic responds. I know I'm getting one.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #6
Trustee

Can't see the logic of the A1. If you are looking for the SDI features surely you'd pony up for the H1.
Conversely there'd be plenty of demand I'd think for a H1 minus the SDI connectivity, should work out at around the same price as the A1.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #7
Trustee

I think there are two ways of looking at the A1 vs G1 dilemma. The first model says that wow....Uncompressed SDI for $7 grand...that's unbelievably cheap. The second model says Canon added a $300 board to the A1 and is charging $3000 for the pleasure, which is unbelievably overpriced. I have to say that I'm inclined towards the latter opinion. With the overall raves about canon's HDV encoding, I think I'm gonna go with the passive twin.

I also think canon will sell 10 A-1's to each G1, yet if they had put the G1 in at a lower price it would hurt the H1's sales. Which begs the question of why the G1 at all? Probably because it makes a great companion to any studio already having an H1 plus it's got $2700 in extra profit thrown in.

My only real complaint is that it's not available sooner...I just came into the cash to get into HD and I really need to spend it now before something else distracts me. I'd probably pick two A1's over the H1 if I could right now. I sure miss the old days when canon announced the Xl2 and Gl2 two weeks before they hit the shelves.
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

Buy the XL H1 if you want a better lens option + the ability to change lenses, mount 35mm prime lenses, etc.

heath
Old July 26th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #9
Major Player

Hey Chris,
I'm considering the A1 alot. I'd go with that one.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #10
Trustee

Heath...

There are a lot of reasons to buy either camera, but for me the most influential one is what is available now. I recently had a break-in at my studio, and I lost my entire arsenal of video cameras. All has worked out for the best as my insurance company (like a good neighbor!) came through for me this week. My main fretting now has been deciding between the canon and the panasonic...but honestly the feature set of the a1/g1 has me seriously hot under the collar (an Iris ring on the lens? someone is yanking my chain).

An interesting notion for me now is that the a1/g1 has probably pushed me in the direction of the H1, if only that I'll have a less expensive B-camera option in october (or november)..
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #11
Tourist

lens options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
Buy the XL H1 if you want a better lens option + the ability to change lenses, mount 35mm prime lenses, etc.

heath

What lens options will there be?
And how much $$$$$$?

-e
Eric Bey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #12
MPS Digital Studios

Eric,

Only the XL H1 has the option to change lenses. Visit the forum for more on the Canon XL H1:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=101

heath
Old July 26th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #13
Trustee

Oh waiter! Two A1's please.

If I want SDI, I'd need a lens that would resolve everybit of wow I could get, and the H1 suits.

Still, if I could swing it, I'd maybe get both an A1 and the H1 (skipping the G1). If the video would intercut nicely, then I'd have portability and studio quality.
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I'd have to say an A1 for me. No need for those lil extras on the G1 in my work so far. But that nice upgrade to add PAL is something I will look into
for my other customers/clients.

I'm just happy to see the new releases by Canon, been waiting quite a few years for them to pop up! October is by birthday, so gonna be like a "kid in
the candystore" like I was when I first bought my GL2 and FX1.

Mmmmm...doughnuts....
http://pages.infinit.net/cybrmonk/
Montreal, Quebec
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sean Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #15
Major Player

Canon - finally getting smart again!

I think the A1 is a killer offering - as in FX1, DVX killer for sure...

Heck, who wouldn't pick the XL-H1? But money money money... Alas...

So yeah, the A1 is my choice now.

Up until today, I was figuring I'd have to hold out and settle for the JVC GY-HD110 or new 200 series come this fall... the HVX P2 thing is just "silly" and Sony seems to have an aversion to 24p - damn, those new AVCHD's could have really been something if 24p was on them - it's FX1/Z1 all over again...

But now I figure Canon has put themselves right back in there!

This is great news - fabulous. When Canon declared "no more mini-dv" - wow - they MEANT it.
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders