Which one would you buy? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

View Poll Results: Between the XH G1 and XH A1, which one would you buy?
XH G1 for $7000, because I need the pro jacks and SDI. 40 10.00%
XH A1 for $4000, I don't need those pro jacks nor SDI. 360 90.00%
Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 26th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #16
MPS Digital Studios

A1 makes me think of the Sony, and that Sanyo HD1 makes me think of the JVC.

hwm
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #17
Major Player

Well, bang for the buck

I think I might get one of each.

Seriously. I need the SDI I/O for some composite work I have to do. Ever try to do a difference key on DV, HDV, DV50 or any compressed format ? It pretty much leads to roto.

On the other hand it'd be great to have two cameras I can match nicely for work I can complete using HDV, which after all is the bulk of my work.

I was considering ponying up for an XL-H1 late this year, but these cameras change my mental calculus. Instead of spending MSRP $10000 USD, and getting one nice camera then having to fight to find any other HDV camera as a B unit, I can spend $11000 USD MSRP and have two nice cameras well matched for A/B shooting, and still get the SDI output I need to feed Shake.

If I could interchange set-up files between them it might be tempting to try and get an XL-H1 and then buy a one of these as budgets permitted down the line. Canon should fight a bit to uprate the XL-H1 a touch to make this possible.
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #18
Major Player

I would get probably the A1. I need a B camera for my HVX, for action Stickypod shots and long form documentary work, and the a1 seems to fit the bill. It should take reasonable stills too... Now my only concern, still, is FCP support for 24f and canon HDV...
Old July 27th, 2006, 02:24 AM   #19
Tourist

Good idea?

Seeing the poll here I think it could be a good idea for Canon to make a version of XL-H1 without HD-SDI output. I think a version like that would attract a lot of customers. Canon should also upgrade the XL-H1 with embedded audio and timecode on SDI.
Fred Solli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 03:24 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I would probably get the A1 first, then the G1 later if I'm pleased with the footage. Here in London where widescreen has become almost mandatory, I work with lots of Z1 and H1 footage and tend to like the Canon footage more, it seems to have a more gradual dynamic range, even shows up on the scopes. Could be the lens, could be the way shooters have set up their cameras. Either way, shooters here are squeezing all they can from HDV with the H1. If the A1 and G1 produce an image anything like the H1, I'll bite.

Truth be told, the iris control on the lens has really hooked me. Never thought I'd see that on this type of video cam.
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 03:58 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Solli
Seeing the poll here I think it could be a good idea for Canon to make a version of XL-H1 without HD-SDI output.
Hmmmm...could that be the upcoming August 2nd announcement?
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 06:15 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Since I'm just getting into (or back into) this arena, I would choose the A1. With the $3k difference I can buy add-ons that I'll use much more than the G1 upgrade will offer me.

Let's see... wireless mic system, tapeless capture, upgraded software, better tripod, platform add-on for the Merlin - yep, that $3k is going to go to good use.
Donald White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 06:35 AM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vandas
...the Canon footage more, it seems to have a more gradual dynamic range, even shows up on the scopes...
It's why I favored a Canon XL1s, despite the lower resolution to other cams in it's class. It's also why I'll wait before getting a Z1U.
Old July 27th, 2006, 06:53 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Two A1's here please. For just a little more than what it cost me for getting into video in the first place with two PD170s I can now switch to HDV and still retain all the pro features plus add some. Albiet, low light performance still has to be proven. This is what I've been waiting for. This tells me that HDV is starting to get a good enough foothold on the beach head of video production for me to invest soon. We'll see what comes of the reviews and low light performance.
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #25
Tourist

No lens options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
Eric,

Only the XL H1 has the option to change lenses. Visit the forum for more on the Canon XL H1:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=101

heath
Sorry if I continue to ask dumb questions, but are you saying there aren't even attatchment adapters to achieve wide angle shots.
Eric Bey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #26
Wrangler

Yes, there will be a 0.8 wide adaptor for the XH cameras, the WD-72:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=14057
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #27
Major Player

oh sweet mary - I think my cars' worth about $3999- that will be my choice - anyone want to buy a ford all widow van ???? seriously , canon , when it finally comes to the table , kicks axx don't they ? At 4k the A1 should even puts the chills on the fx1 and will probably really hurt sales of the zbaby. I'd love lens interchangability , but for 3k less , the A1 is my choice sword. Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:04 PM   #28
Inner Circle

I put a vote on the A1.

Uncompressed HD SDI out is nice, but at an extra 3 grand, too expensive for me. If you really need that for 1 shoot or something, you can always hire a GL1 as a b cam.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #29
Major Player

As soon as I can preorder an A1...I will.

This is the camera I brought up and envisioned in Area 51 back on jan and now my dreams are coming true.

Next summer I will shoot my first indie feature.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #30
Trustee

You know in the past I would have went for the SDI in a heart beat. Now I'm not so sure. The new bottom line Decklink cards now have component HD built in. I'm not sure if I would really be able to tell the difference between uncompressed SDI and uncompressed analog component. Considering that HDV on the CANON cameras already looks great I do not think the SDI would blow me away when compared to component. I realize there will be a slight level of noise and softening but I will be using some pretty short cables anyways. I might change my mind by October but for now I think the A1 will be the way to go for me. Besides at this price point when I do need to get a second HDV camera in a few months I will either then go for the SDI version or go all the way to the XL-H1s. If I do get into SDI compared to analog uncompressed I'm sure I will not need both cameras to have SDI.

Besides I already have a analog uncompressed SD editing system so I will be able to capture live uncompressed SD with either camera so I might as well go with the cheaper one.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders