Long lasting batteries at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old August 12th, 2004, 07:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Long lasting batteries

I'll buy my GS400 soon. Therefore I'd like to know anyone's experiences with batteries for the PV/NV series. Preferably I'm interested in high capacity batteries like belt packs or maybe some homebuilt devices. Or is there somebody even using fuel cell batteries already?

Did anyone try if something similar to this link also works for the PV/NV series? How is the original battery's pin in/out?
http://www.playground.net/~winnicki/...folithium.html

Thanks for any input!
Andreas Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2004, 12:28 AM   #2
Major Player

Is that huge 5500 mAh waist type Pany battery available in Taiwan?
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Allan, I went to the shop today. The huge waist pack is also available here. But for now I decided to go with the largest "on-cam" battery (2040mAh), because it seem to be more suitable. Let's see how long it will last in real life. If I need more, I still can order the waist type or look for alternative sources.
Btw. they said I'll get my GS400 probably on Tuesday. And they asked me wether I want the Japanese domestic or the N.A. model. They could even get me a PAL model. After a while I decided to order the N.A. model to avoid all the language trouble, although it is not available in lovely black colour.
Old August 13th, 2004, 07:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Battery life for intermittent recording using the LCD.

1,360mAH (supplied one): 45 mins (now where is that review which mentioned that the GS400 has great battery life using the supplied one.
2040mAH : 1 hour 10 mins
5500mAH : 3 hours 20 mins

The black one is truly LOVELY. it stands out on the shelf!

But if I were in your place, I'd probably stick with the language I fully understand also - but I'm not in your place so it's black for me :-)). Good luck!
Old August 13th, 2004, 08:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Allan, is the waist pack available from you?
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2004, 08:21 PM   #6
Major Player

Yes Guy.

You have 2 options for your 953, the new VBD7 or the previous model and cheaper but less capacity (5300mAh - 10 min difference in batt life) VBD5.

The VBD7 comes with 2 connectors; one for the GS series cams and another for the MX series cams..thus can be used both for the GS400 and 953.

The VBD5 has only one supplied connector, that suitable for MX/953.
Old August 13th, 2004, 09:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Allan Rejoso : 2040mAH : 1 hour 10 mins -->>>

Oh no, is this true? Sooo short?? Allan, is this your own measuring experience? Hm, then I really have to think twice. Seems I definately have to buy the waist pack or anything even bigger ...but what?!?!
Old August 13th, 2004, 09:31 PM   #8
Major Player

That's the rating given by Panasonic Japan. They give 4 ratings:

1. Continuous recording without LCD (the one usually given on paper)
2. Continuous recording with LCD
3. Intermittent recording without LCD
4. Intermittent recording with LCD

I gave you no. 4 because that's how normal people use their cams in real life - unless you are in the security and surveillance business, or you'd rather use the tiny and headache inducing EVF than the huge and lovely LCD :-)).

Perhaps you should get at least 2 of those equivalent batts...they're cheaper compared to the price of 1 genuine Pany batt.
Old August 13th, 2004, 09:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Yes, correct choice, Allan! I think I'll definately be using the LCD. I was using the weaker-brightness-LCD even on my old cam most of the time, but now as there is a "Power LCD" it should be no question to use it all the time!!
Old August 16th, 2004, 08:10 PM   #10
Tourist

I realise that it's just a regular du21 replacement, but I've noticed that B&H list a power2000 model that's 2400mAH. well, at least it's 20% extra time. these battery times are still pretty depressing, though
Yervant der Parthogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2004, 08:58 PM   #11
Regular Crew

You may consider to have DIY battery pack using AA battery. A pack of 6 rechargable AA battery of 2100mA can have 7.2V voltage that may suitable for GS400K.

Also it should be very portable and you can just carry some extra rechargable AA battery.
Old August 17th, 2004, 09:04 PM   #12
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Tony Leung : You may consider to have DIY battery pack using AA battery. A pack of 6 rechargable AA battery of 2100mA can have 7.2V voltage that may suitable for GS400K.

Also it should be very portable and you can just carry some extra rechargable AA battery. -->>>

Tony, actually I was thinking about the same thing. Do you have any experience with such things? Any information/suggestions?
Maybe 2x6 pieces with about 4200mAh would be better.
Old August 17th, 2004, 09:12 PM   #13
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Andreas Winkler : <<<-- Originally posted by Tony Leung : You may consider to have DIY battery pack using AA battery. A pack of 6 rechargable AA battery of 2100mA can have 7.2V voltage that may suitable for GS400K.

Also it should be very portable and you can just carry some extra rechargable AA battery. -->>>

Tony, actually I was thinking about the same thing. Do you have any experience with such things? Any information/suggestions?
Maybe 2x6 pieces with about 4200mAh would be better. -->>>

You can buy a battery box at electronic shop and do some wiring on that:
http://www.dchome.net/files/p16.jpg

Of course you can buy 2 set of battery for longer operating time.
Old August 17th, 2004, 09:27 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Thanks Tony, I'll look for these compartments today.
I think I also need some kind of connector for this original "fake-battery cable" plugged in the cam to connect it with the DIY pack.
Old August 17th, 2004, 09:47 PM   #15
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Andreas Winkler : Thanks Tony, I'll look for these compartments today.
I think I also need some kind of connector for this original "fake-battery cable" plugged in the cam to connect it with the DIY pack. -->>>
Hi Andreas,

If possible, please post the DIY result and also the actual operating time for using AA battery.

Thanks!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant