Long lasting batteries - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old October 1st, 2004, 02:05 PM   #31
Wrangler

Leigh, if using a 12v motorcycle battery why don't you purchase a $20 DC/AC converter that will offer a cleaner fuse protected 110VAC output and put a little insurance in-between your battery and cam.

That is assuming a 12v battery would run a DC/AC converter as its usually powered by an alternator in a car. Thats not really my area of expertise. You would also need to use your AC recharger brick and the cam power back cable/adapter.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 09:20 AM   #32
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Leigh Wanstead : Has anyone use motorcycle battery 12v with a voltage converter i.e. 7805 to convert voltage from 12v to 7v? Will flash current damage to camcord? How to prevent it?

I know the battery is really heavy and I got one. But it is really powerful.
-->>>

It would be a waste of voltage and weight to use a 12v battery on that application. You can do it and should work fine, using a 7806 regulator, but there should be plenty of heat on the chip, as you will have more than 5v multiplied by the current dissipating on it.

It's much better and works perfectly to use 6v batteries. You can then pick a larger current type that will last longer.

Carls
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 07:06 PM   #33
Trustee

Hello everyone,

I plan to do a DIY power package and I bought 12 Powertech Rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride2300mAh battery from www.jaycar.co.nz. May I ask if I use 6 battery at same time, does that means 6 * 2300mAh/1600mAh(The battery in original camcord package)=8.625 times more power?

TIA
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 11:27 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Leigh, no it will not be 6 * 2300mAh... I guess you want a voltage of 7.2V, so you have to connect the 6 batteries in a row. This means you get a voltage of 6 * 1.2V = 7.2V, but the capacity will be still 2300mAh! If you connect the other 6 batteries in a row too and then connect the two 6x packs in parallel order, you'll get a capacity of 2 * 2300mAh = 4600mAh which is 2.875 times the original capacity.
Andreas Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 12:01 AM   #35
Trustee

Do I need special circuit to protect my gs400 in case anything wrong with 6 ni-mh battery in a row?

Someone told me that it might damage the camcord if I just simply link battery together?

TIA

Regards
Leigh
Old October 3rd, 2004, 12:08 AM   #36
Regular Crew

If you connect only 6 batteries you can't get more than 7.2V. Shouldn't damage anything. My 12 AA-batteries package works fine. I don't use any circuits for protection. If one battery should be defect it's unlikely to get more than 1.2V out of it.
Andreas Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 12:21 AM   #37
Trustee

Hi Andreas,

That is great.

I can't imagine how it would break the camcord if one battery is bad.

I am waiting for the guy who gave me that advice to explain in detail. I just don't want to break my expensive toy.

Regards
Leigh
Old October 3rd, 2004, 02:58 PM   #38
Trustee

Someone told me that there is a circuit inside Lithium Ion Battery Pack which will protect the battery overcharging, overloading,short circuit etc.

He said best is just to find a broken(dead) battery to get circuit and connect that to DIY battery package. The problem for me is I don't have a dead battery and can't think where to find one, and relucant to break my working one to get the circuit.

Is that circuit really important? I can't find the drawing diagram of the circuit inside Lithium Ion Battery Pack on internet.

I thought that I already got a microchip charger which should do proper job of charging the battery. The battery itself should not do anything more than that.

Does the one supply the socket to connect to the gs400 with the charger one already has some circuit inside that connector which will protect the camcord, not a dummy connector just simply offer direct wiring between two connects?

TIA
Leigh
Old October 3rd, 2004, 04:24 PM   #39
Trustee

I found this link.

http://linux-7110.sourceforge.net/ho...LIbattery.html

It seems that I should not worry too much about PCB circuit. I guess that the PCB just control charging as I already has a charger to look after my ni-mh battery.

Regards
Leigh
Old October 4th, 2004, 03:28 AM   #40
Trustee

I can't believe it. The battery clearly state as 1.2v, but I check voltage meter and it says 1.5v.

My question is as the battery has no warranty from the shop and I have to use it. May I only use 5 ni-mh battery 1.5 v x 5 = 7.5v? Will it break my gs400? I am quite confused about this. As default battery says 7.2v but charger output to camcord is 7.9v. Will 7.5v is safe for the gs400?

TIA
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant