Canon GL2 and Premiere Pro - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 5th, 2003, 04:37 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Haha, no problem, I think that has happened to all of us at one point in time.
Ryan Krga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 08:58 AM   #17
Regular Crew

GL2 Freezing on Dumping in Premiere

I know some might think this goes in the NLE forum but since its pertaining only to GL2 users I want to keep this here please.

I have a problem with my GL2 where it will only capture 54 frames in Premiere until the picture on the capture freezes (it stops counting the amount of frames captured but doesn't show any dropped) and the GL2 keeps playing. My friend's GL2 does this on occasion with his Premiere 6.5 however I have the problem with all versions of Premiere.

Both mine and his will capture with other programs, however sometimes they turn out choppy.

Has anybody had anything similar happen with their GL2 and Premiere?

I'm asking in the GL2 section because I already have a post in the NLE and it describes the problem in more detail.

Forgot to add the only difference is in my Friend's GL2 and capturing, his will randomly start working for him to capture the entire thing??
Tim Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 09:23 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I use Premiere Pro. The only capture "quirk" I've noticed so far is that it won't work if I've got the tape re-wound to the very beginning -- time code 00:00:00. If I advance the tape just a bit, capture works fine. I've successfully captured sequences in excess of 45 minutes in length.
Jim OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 11:14 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Have you ever used any other Premiere version?

Were you experiencing the same problem where it will start to capture...then it will freeze on the computer, like a freeze frame on the capture preview window but the tape will still be playing?

I think I am going to format when I get home and try this without the windows updates...see if that changes anything. Because both comptuers I've tried this on have every single update downloaded!!
Old March 10th, 2004, 11:35 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Yes, I've successfully performed captures on Premiere 6.5. I use a Dell Dimension 8200, 3.06 processor, with Win XP Pro. All updates and service packs have been installed. No, I haven't experienced your problem -- just the one issue that I mentioned in my first post.
Old March 10th, 2004, 11:38 AM   #21
New Boot

Not GL-2

I don't believe the problem is related to your GL-2 as I had the same problem with a JVC. It would start and at about 62 frames it would stop. I also don't think its Premeire. Premeire indicates no dropped frames which means it thinks the incoming signal is correct. The camera is playing just fine. The problem is between the camera and the software. Could be drivers for your firewire card if its third party. I think I updated my chipset drivers (Nforce) and that took care of it for me. If you have a via chipset you might try updating it as well. I haven't had time to read your other post so if this doens't apply disregard.
Ryan G. Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 12:06 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I have the same problem. My solution is like Jim's, if the tape is at the very beginning where no timecode is displayed then I hit play on the Premiere monitor window until I see the picture (a couple seconds) then hit the capture button. I've captured complete 60minute tapes this way without dropped frames.

I'd used to get pretty frustrated when it lock up after 50-60 frames then I rewind back to the beginning and it do it again!

Cheers,
Brian
Brian Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 12:16 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I'll have to try that when I get home, starting with no timecode.

Ryan, the only reason I thought it was my GL2 is my TRV38 dumped fine on my computer, I haven't changed anything since I got my GL2, and my friend's GL2 also had the same problem. If this doesn't work I think I'll format and not try windows updating, I remembere there being and update for the DV Codec for firewire cameras or it was for something along those lines and I'm thinking maybe that changed something that is causing this problem.
Old March 10th, 2004, 03:51 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I tried doing what Brian and Jim said and started playing then hit record!! It works!!! Its still stupid how I have to do that but I'll stop complaining now that I got it to work!!
Old March 10th, 2004, 04:22 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I think Premiere needs a little timecode "run up" from an existing point before it gets fully synched. (It doesn't know how to count from zero.) Of course, that's just a guess on my part. Glad it's working for ya!
Old May 29th, 2004, 03:08 PM   #26
New Boot

GL2 and Premiere Pro

Hello all. I've enjoyed reading the many, many posts in the last few days and I've learned many things I didn't know about my camera. Now it's time to ask a question I don't see that anyone else is having an issue with:

When importing DV into Premiere Pro, I ALWAYS have problems. When the stream first starts, I frequently get errors such as "lost connection with camera" and "cannot find time code" (or something to that effect). None of my other cameras have this problem, albeit they are all Sony cameras. Sometimes I can get around this problem by playing the tape for a second or two before I actually hit the record button in the premiere window. Once I get it going, I normally don't have any problems.

Anyone else experience this? I do still have Prem 6.5 installed on my video machine, but I haven't tried it.
Ken Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2004, 06:20 PM   #27
Regular Crew

yep

Mine doesn't do that, but it does record audio weird. Every now and then the audio will start to pop or make this crackle sound while previewing in the capture screen and also while capturing. If it captures bad audio then I have to go back and try capturing again. Sometimes one segment will pop and crackle then I go back and capture it again and it doesn't do it. It's weird dude. It's clearly not on the tape. It's only during capture and previewing before capture in the adobe pro. Doesn't that suck.

Scott
Scott Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2004, 07:10 AM   #28
Major Player

I've been working on a wedding project for the last couple of days in which all my b-camera footage was off by 11 frames from it's audio. This was not the case when played back on my JVC DVdeck or my GL2 so I decided to check the Adobe Forums when I saw your post and viola, I found a fairly extensive FAQ on things to check... I won't be able to do anything until Tuesday, so if any of these work, let me and everyone else know!

Miguel

----------------------------

Audio playback troubleshooting guide for Adobe Premiere Pro

This document can help you resolve audio problems that occur while you use Adobe Premiere Pro. Performing these tasks can help you resolve the most common problems.

To benefit most from this document, perform the tasks in order. Keep track of the tasks you perform and the results of each, including errors or other problems. Adobe Technical Support can use this information to better assist you, should you need to call.

Before performing any of these tasks, back up all personal files (for example, Adobe Premiere Pro files you created).

1. Check your connections.

Ensure that your speakers, capture card audio ports, and DV devices are properly connected.

2. Make sure that the system meets the requirements for the capture card.

Some capture cards require special cabling, settings, and drivers to enable audio playback. For more information, refer to the documentation for your capture card.

3. Install the recommended installation of QuickTime.

Install or reinstall QuickTime, and select the Recommended or Full installation. The problem can occur if the Minimum version of QuickTime is installed.

4. Ensure that Adobe Premiere Pro has finished conforming audio.

When you import audio into a project, Adobe Premiere Pro conforms the audio, converting it to the project's audio sample rate. While Adobe Premiere Pro conforms audio, it may not play correctly. A status bar in the lower right bottom of the screen displays the progress while Adobe Premiere Pro conforms audio.

5. Specify a new location for conformed audio files.

If the folder in which a project's conformed audio files are stored is full or inaccessible, Adobe Premiere Pro returns the error, "Disk Write Error. Verify drive connections, available disk space and disk access privileges. Then save, close and re-launch the project." If you receive this error, specify a new location with available space.

To specify a new location for conformed audio files:
1. Find and note the current location of conformed audio files. The default location of conformed audio files is My Documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro/7.0/Conformed Audio Files.
2. Choose Edit > Preferences > Scratch Disks and then specify a location for Conformed Audio.
3. Save, and close the project.
4. Delete the old Conformed Audio folder.

6. Update the playback settings to play audio on audio hardware.

By default, Adobe Premiere Pro previews audio through the DV device to external speakers only. If you change the audio playback to Play Audio on Audio Hardware, Adobe Premiere Pro plays audio through the computer's hardware and speakers.

To update the playback settings to play audio on audio hardware:
1. Choose Project > Project Settings> General.
2. Click Playback Settings.
3. Choose Play Audio on Audio Hardware.
4. Click OK to close the Project Settings dialog box.

7. Update the audio sampling rate of your project to match the audio sampling rate of your clip.

Clicks or pops may occur during playback if the audio sampling rate of your clip differs from the audio sampling rate of your project. Create a new Adobe Premiere Pro project with the same audio sampling rate setting as the media clips, and then import the old Adobe Premiere Pro project into the new one.

8. If the problem is specific to a clip, test the media file in another application.

Check the media file by playing it in an application such as Windows Media Player outside of Adobe Premiere Pro. If you can't hear the clip when you use an alternative application, recapture or replace the clip and test again.

9. If the problem is specific to a track, ensure that the audio is enabled and not muted.

Ensure that the audio has been enabled for the track in the Sequence, and that the track has not been muted in the Audio Mixer.
Miguel Lombana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2004, 08:50 AM   #29
Regular Crew

nope

All that is setup properly. It's during capture that this happens. While I'm watching the footage for the first time in the capture screens preview window. If I rewind and try it again it may not pop and crackle, or it could do it again. It's really the luck of the draw. As for capture card, I have a intergrated firewire on my Dell 650 workstation.

I don't know what it is. I've searched every forum known to man and can't find anyone with the same problem.
Scott Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2004, 12:16 AM   #30
Major Player

In the future try blacking out, or stripping your new mini dv, then rewinding it before you use it.

John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite