Canon GL2 and Premiere Pro - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 15th, 2004, 03:43 PM   #46
New Boot

It just told me-

"Lost connection to device"

-and then another window came up and said

"Driver error"

What driver?
Glidecam 2000
Brian Neuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 04:03 PM   #47
New Boot

I just tried-

-the trial version of scenalyzer and it captures. I don't want to use that, though, to be honest, and I can't understand why Premiere Pro wouldn't work. Does the camera need to be on or off when I start the program, I don't know...
Glidecam 2000
Old September 15th, 2004, 04:17 PM   #48
New Boot

Alright-

With scenalyzer, how do you get the clip into Premiere pro? I'm sorry I sound like such a doof, but...thanks for all the great replies again, I'll read scenalyzer's website for instructions...
Glidecam 2000
Old September 15th, 2004, 05:13 PM   #49
Major Player

1. It's interesting that you asked, I did the same, Scenealyser will run the tape in one direction and write files, Premier Pro will run the tape to the next timecode change, stop it, back it up 5 seconds for a pre-roll, record when the tape passes the new index and basically wear your tape mechanism to hell and back while it shuttles over and over again. This is also a huge waste of time, with Scenalyzer it's 1 hour in and 1 hour done, much more time with PPro.

2. If you're not going to pull the tape from the camera or shuttle back to monitor something that you recorded then no issue, I pull a tape for a scene and put it back when it's time for the next logical event in that shoot. Either will work in the long run, and again with an external capture utility that doesn't care it's not an issue.

Miguel

<<<-- Originally posted by Lloyd Coleman : Miguel,

A couple of questions for you:

1. With the new scene capture option in Premiere Pro, what is the advantage of using Scenalyzer? I have been using PPro scene capture and it is working great for me. Is there something else in Scenalyzer that I am missing?

2. I used to always stripe my tapes, but found with just a little care in filming (pre-roll, post-roll, etc) that I never have a break in timecode and figure that I have just cut the wear and tear of my camera in half. If I am careful with filming, do you think there is a compelling enough reason to stripe tapes to justify the extra wear and tear on both the camera and the tape?

Thank you. -->>>
Old September 15th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #50
Major Player

Re: Alright-

Scenalyzer writes a file of your choice, MS AVI, Canopus AVI, Premier Indexed so they will import back into Premier and Pro in a native format, and will also break the 2 gig rule if you're using NTFS. If you liked the basic version, LIVE has some extra features and pays off.

<<<-- Originally posted by Brian Neuls : With scenalyzer, how do you get the clip into Premiere pro? I'm sorry I sound like such a doof, but...thanks for all the great replies again, I'll read scenalyzer's website for instructions... -->>>
Old September 15th, 2004, 06:22 PM   #51
Major Player

*****Does the camera need to be on or off when I start the program, I don't know...******

Here is where the software does get flakey......Bring up pro, then turn the camera on....wait a few mins, and then bring up the capture.
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 06:25 PM   #52
Major Player

Have you set your device control options in the capture window? Capture settings?
Old September 15th, 2004, 07:04 PM   #53
New Boot

Yes-

-I set all the settings, I went into capture settings, I'll try starting Premiere Pro and then turning on the camera and I'll see how the scenalyzer live works and we'll go from there. Thanks again for all the posts and I'll keep everyone posted.
Glidecam 2000
Old September 15th, 2004, 09:09 PM   #54
Major Player

This goes without saying, but when capture comes up and you hit play, give it a second or so to roll, then hit the record button. Let us know

John
Old September 15th, 2004, 10:22 PM   #55
Major Player

Miguel,

Sorry to hijack this post, but another question about Scenalyzer. Are you saying that it will add a pre roll and post roll to each the scene without backing the tape up? I am using PPro with no pre or post roll and it captures 1 hour of tape in 1 hour. No stopping or rewinding.

Thank you.
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 10:54 AM   #56
Regular Crew

what to turn on when

Admittedly I'm using a little different setup than you are, but it may be worth trying. My experience is that I have to have the camera on before even starting Premiere, and I must leave it on until I close the program. If I turn the camera off before closing Premiere I will get a blue screen error next time I turn it on (regardless of whether or not Premiere is running anymore). I have to restart to get the camera working again. It's weird, but so far I've been OK as long as I keep the camera on the whole time Premiere is running.

If I don't want to use the camera at all during a Premiere session, it's OK to leave it off. The point is I can't turn it on or off while Premiere is running.

I'm capturing GL2 footage using a Canon Optura miniDV cam with Premiere 6.0 on Win98SE -- like I said, a different setup than you are using.

The only time I can recall having trouble with a capture was when I tried to capture DVCAM footage from a Sony PD150 using my Optura (which only supports DV SP or LP). It couldn't understand how to play the tape at the faster DVCAM speed. From your post I'm guessing you're capturing footage taken by a GL2 using a GL2, so this wouldn't apply.

Also, the broken timecode issue will cause problems with Batch Capture, but I believe a Manual Capture is still OK -- it simply won't store any frames while there's no timecode (however, Premiere will timeout if it can't get any timecode for a few seconds).

When you're capturing/previewing, can you see a timecode counter in the capture window? If not, the timecode is simply not getting through to the computer. Could this have anything to do with the remote device control capabilities of the GL2? I've never used them, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can confirm/deny this possibility.

Anyway, 'just my experience with Premiere.
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 01:17 PM   #57
Major Player

Lloyd when I used PremPro with my GL and with my JVC dual deck it kept shuttling the tape back to get a pre-roll, may have been my setup or a setting in Premier that I didn't check. Either way, SceneLive just plays the tape and creates a new .AVI file on each timecode break.

Let me know what settings you used on PPro to get a constant feed without shuttles. Either way I can't use it as I run a Canopus system and I need to capture in their format or I have to convert every file from Premier to Canopus via a 3rd party utility, then I have double the .AVI files (1 Adobe & 1 Canopus) poluting the drive and stealing space which on some projects I can't afford.

Also Canopus doesn't support the PPro capture in their plug-in (YET).

Miguel

<<<-- Originally posted by Lloyd Coleman : Miguel,

Sorry to hijack this post, but another question about Scenalyzer. Are you saying that it will add a pre roll and post roll to each the scene without backing the tape up? I am using PPro with no pre or post roll and it captures 1 hour of tape in 1 hour. No stopping or rewinding.

Thank you. -->>>
Old September 16th, 2004, 07:24 PM   #58
New Boot

Thanks guys!

I'm not trying anymore-
Scenalyzer is the bomb, it works awesomely, and so I'm going to go with that. Thanks again all for the great replies and for turning me onto Scenalyzer.
Glidecam 2000
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:53 AM   #59
Tourist

VHS to GL1

I have some footage on a VHS that I want to use in FinalCutPro.
How do you record from your vhs to the GL1's tape if the GL1 does not support analog to digital? I dont find my user manual so your help would be appréciated.
André
Andre Chapdelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:29 AM   #60
Capt. Quirk

Andre- You can go to the Canon website, and download a copy of your manual... free ;)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite