Canon GL2 and Premiere Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 29th, 2002, 04:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon GL2 and Premiere Pro

Has anyone had any luck capturing to Adobe Premiere 6 via firewire. If so, what setting. I see that the GL1 is listed, so I tried that to no avail. Premeire doesn't recognize the device at all. Oddly enough my friend's Avid Express works just fine.

I know this was discussed some time ago, but since the GL2 has been out for a while now, someone has had to have figured this out.

Any ideas??

Tom

BTW, Win2K, P4 1.8G etc.
Tom Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2002, 02:57 AM   #2
New Boot

Hallo Tom, I've tried the xm2 with Premiere 6 and 6.5. It was a real Plug'n'Play. I've connected the camera, the first time he ask some drivers of windows or the firewire card. Then I turn on the camcorder and started premiere. the connection was here even with the standard dv control settings.

Maybe is your firewire card not configured correctly.
Old October 1st, 2002, 06:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I too have not had any issues with Premiere 6 or 6.5 with my GL2 (I'm running 2K as well)
Old October 1st, 2002, 08:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Interesting. What settings are you using for device control. I have Device Control 2.0 with Canon and the GL1A setting. Is this different on yours?

Thanks,

Tom
Tom Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2002, 12:13 AM   #5
New Boot

Hallo Tom,
I'm using win98 with the sound blaster audigy ex as firewire card. My actual device control is Control 2.0 with Canon Standard but it also worked with Control 2.0 standard without setting to Canon.

What kind of firewire card do you have?
Old November 7th, 2002, 10:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

VHS --> GL1 --> Premiere

I would like to transfer VHS Footage to Premiere, My Idea is to connect the VIDEO out of my VCR and connect it to the GL1's AV/ IN/OUT and from there connect the GL1 Firewire cable to the computer and capture the video with Premiere.

Problem. I can't seem to get this to work. Probabbly because this camera does not do Analog to Digital Instantly. Has anyone here done this with success?

(I do know how to do it by recording it to the MiniDV and then playing it back into premiere but is there anyway to do this with out RECORDING to a DV Tape.
gerez@bellsouth.net

---
PC Based editor: Adobe Premier Pro, Canopus DV Storm Pro. SONY VX2000, Panasonic DVX100a

George Gerez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2002, 12:18 AM   #7
Old Boot

Maybe this is one of the upgrade features in the GL2? It is explained on page 103,104 and 106 of the GL2 manual.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 12:06 AM   #8
New Boot

You are right, the gl-1 cannot do the pass through. You need to record it to the dv tape, and then to the computer. The gl-2 does have that feature, though. I just got a gl-1 myself, Yay!
Tylar Mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 12:31 AM   #9
Old Boot

Sooo.. EARLIWorm

"I just got a gl-1 myself, Yay!" Does that mean you are happy you DON'T have pass thru- because you just your GL-1? OR are you mistyping your response because you're so enthusiastic 'bout your NEW GL-2? Please clarify as I'm confused.

Reagrds - Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 11:24 PM   #10
New Boot

I have a gl-1.
Yeah, I am very happy with it. I do not really need the pass through. It would be nice, But I can deal without it.
Old November 21st, 2002, 07:55 PM   #11
Greg Patrick

hi
i was wondering if the pass-through capability is solely dependent on the camera rather than the capture card and/or burning software...

thanks
Old November 21st, 2002, 10:54 PM   #12
New Boot

I think you can buy a capture card that can do analog pass through. IM not sure tho.
Old May 5th, 2003, 02:41 PM   #13
New Boot

Firewire with Premiere 6.0

I am wondering what I am doing wrong when trying to capture video from my GL2 to premiere 6.0 via firewire. I am connecting the firewire to the included port in the back of my Dell. I turn the gl2 on before opening premiere, as people have advised. When I go to video capture, it will play the video smoothly in the preview screen, and allow me to capture. However, when i play back caputured files, it just shows about a frame every second. So a 10 second clip is maybe a dozen frames. Is the problem that the GL2 is not listed under the canon cameras you can select from in the capture settings? I have tried selecting the GL1 instead, as well as leaving it as a generic device.

Any advice from someone (who perhaps has the same setup) would be greatly appreciated.
Allen Danze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 02:54 PM   #14
Regular Crew

When you are playing back and your camera is hooked up to the computer through firewire still it will play through the camera. Just take the sucker out of the computer, then playing back should be fine.
Ryan Krga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 03:10 PM   #15
New Boot

Thanks a lot Ryan. I forgot about that in my ignorance in using firewire devices. I just got the GL2 a week ago, and before that i only had an analog vidcam.
Allen Danze is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite