Capturing Sound with a Mixer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 24th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #1
Tourist

Capturing Sound with a Mixer

Hey everyone,

I'm pretty new to film production and trying to develop a podcast for my company. We want to be able to do an interview-type show with a host and 2 guests. We have three wireless Sennheiser mics, an Edirol M16-DX mixer, and a Canon XH-A1 camera. We're having some trouble figuring out how to use the mixer. Is it possible to plug the mixer into the camera, and if so, how? I know syncing the audio in post is the best option though, is there a fast and easy way to do so? Or is there a way to record audio and video at the same time directly into the computer without having to sync it in post?

Thanks for your help!
Lisa Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Lisa,

Judging from Roland's site, this mixer is designed to work with a digital I/O module that includes digital in/out ports, as well as usb. the 16-pin connector on the back of the mixer labeled "DX Bus" connects to this I/O module via a dedicated cable. Check it out here.
Old February 25th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #3
Major Player

You need two 1/4" TRS plugs to XLR cables-should be available wherever you got the audio gear. Use the 'main out' connectors. Make sure the camera is set to line in rather than mic in and you are good to go.
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #4
Trustee

To add, the two cables with TRS 1/4" on one end will need MALE XLR on the other end to connect with your camera. (The cables are available in both genders, male XLR to act as an output from a 1/4" balanced line-level jack, or with female XLR to act as an input to a 1/4" balanced line-level jack.)

If you can only find shorter TRS to XLR cables without spending a lot of money, then simply add regular XLR cables to the 1/4" TRS to male XLR cables to extend them.

There are applications to record video and audio directly into the computer, but I'd always record to both the camera and computer as a backup.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #5
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Tejral View Post
You need two 1/4" TRS plugs to XLR cables-should be available wherever you got the audio gear. Use the 'main out' connectors. Make sure the camera is set to line in rather than mic in and you are good to go.
Hi, I'm a newbie here, so sorry if my question is very basic. What's the difference between setting the camera audio to line-in and to mic-in?

Thanks.
Old February 25th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiwinata Liem View Post
Hi, I'm a newbie here, so sorry if my question is very basic. What's the difference between setting the camera audio to line-in and to mic-in?

Thanks.
A line level signal is much louder than mic level. If you have a mic plugged into a line input, you won't hear anything. If you have a line level plugged into mic input, it will be extremely distorted.

common numbers: mic level = -60 dB line level = +4 dB

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio