upside down monitor solution at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 2nd, 2004, 03:08 PM   #1
Major Player

upside down monitor solution

Right now I've started a thread that asks for engineering comments about flipping the image digitally. Of course, that's quite a ways away at this point and many of you, like myself, need at least a temporary solution for viewing an upright image when recording. The common solution seems to be buying a 4.5" lcd monitor and mounting it upside down next to the camcorder. This will work, but is pretty expensive for a temporary solution.

I've found a much less expensive solution for the time being. When you flip the camcorder's lcd around to be viewed from the front, the image flips vertically. Also, with mirror mode enabled, the horizontal orientation flips as well. That means if you put a 45 degree mirror in front of the lcd, reflecting the image up, both the left/right and top/bottom will be properly oriented via the mirror. Granted, the camcorder will still record upside down and it will have to be flipped in post, but at least this is a good start.

Right now I'm trying to build a mirror thingie out of cardboard. Hopefully I'll post pics later this evening.

If anyone else wants to start working on one too, you'll need a 2.5" x 2.5" mirror to view the entire lcd screen (for a 2.5" lcd screen). Then just figure out a way to mount it at 45 degrees and you're set.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 04:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Okay, I did it wrong, I'm dumb. Even though the mirror mode lets it flip vertically, its still upside down horizontally. Sorry about that.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 06:28 PM   #3
Major Player

maybe this?

i'm not sure, but...

as you all know - the flip out monitor has its feature to switch the picture upside down and left to right. and also - as you know - that very responsible for switching button/sensor is hidden below the surface of the camera.

so, does it means that if we are able to play with that specific button/sensor responsible for that upside/flip situation we can make it happen even if the flip monitor is NOT turned upside down?

what i want to ask/check is following: - if i unscrew the screws around that flip out monitor and find a button/sensor - if i press the button for good, will i receive the upside down picture or not?

if i'm right - the sensor will think that monitor is in upside position (event if it is not) - and switch the image...

i'm not now in position to check this with my cameras, but maybe someone has it's camera around...

what do you think?

filip
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2004, 07:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Filip

Yes, that's right.
Just on the side of the LCD of a Vx2000 , not on the LCD but just right to it ,there is a plastic cover whit only 1 screw at the botom. Remove that screw,remove the cap and the switch is just there. Flip 180 degre.

Alain Dumais
Old April 2nd, 2004, 09:54 PM   #5
Major Player

Just to get a solid idea of what you've found, here are some pics I found on the net of the side view and rear view of a VX2000 lcd. Can you describe which screw(s) must be removed to reveal this switch?

I'm using a GL2, so hopefully I can take your discovery and somehow apply it to my camcorder.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 10:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Nicholi

Here a pic of what I did.

http://www.kheops-tech.com/~ad3d/invert.jpg

I just put a plastic pin in the hole when I need to flip .
Pretty easy to set up and working just fine.

Alain
Old April 3rd, 2004, 12:12 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Rotate 180

Here is a very interesting software for those ho have to render to rotate the image.

http://www.leadtools.com/SDK/Multimedia/Direct-Show-Filters/Multimedia-DirectShow-Rotate.htm

There is a demo available for download

Alain
Old April 3rd, 2004, 12:37 AM   #8
Major Player

GL2 lcd image flip

I just got done operating on my GL2 a little while ago and am happy with the results. The GL2 is actually totally different (at least the procedure that I took) than the VX2000 when flipping the image. After unscrewing the equivalent cover that Alain indicated, no progress was made. The cover refused to come off because it is affixed inside the lcd screen housing. However, right below the center axle of the lcd is a little magnet that pops out when you poke at it with tweezers. This magnet is responsible for giving the lcd screen the instructions to invert. When its removed, the screen doesn't change. Therefore, the lcd should invert the image whenever that designated area of the lcd comes in the magnetic field's range... and it does. After sliding the magnet into the proper spot, the screen flips and makes me very happy.

Thanks Alain for the idea and giving me the courage to dig into this.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 01:33 AM   #9
Major Player

Now when you guys force the image to flip upside down (right side up in this case) as described above does it also correct the image left to right? As I remember it didnt when I tried this but its been awhile so refresh me.

-Brett
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2004, 01:54 AM   #10
Major Player

With the GL2, you have the option of enabling "mirror mode" when the screen is flipped. Turning that on lets you see the image properly. That ends up working out great. I'm pretty sure the VX2000 does that as well, but not certain.

Also, for the GL2, a small piece of thin refrigerator magnet actually works for flipping the image. After finding the right spot, just tape it on there and you're all set.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 02:11 AM   #11
Major Player

Im jealous. I didnt think my DVX has a mirror function. Great find!
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:15 AM   #12
Major Player

so guys, who did this first , and didn't tell to the others? :)))

filip
Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:19 AM   #13
Major Player

the end is near...

in other words does this mean that lcd flipping/inverting problem is solved and that thread (about inverting the image) can be closed for good?

can you put here maybe a list with the cameras where and how this can be done and we're ok.

what do you think?

filip
Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:24 AM   #14
Major Player

Re: Nicholi

<<<-- Originally posted by Alain Dumais : Here a pic of what I did.

http://www.kheops-tech.com/~ad3d/invert.jpg

I just put a plastic pin in the hole when I need to flip .
Pretty easy to set up and working just fine.

Alain -->>>

alain,

can you tell me WHEN you did this? just at the same time as i "suggested", or you tested it after the readings or you did it much earlier?

just curious

filip
Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:27 AM   #15
Major Player

Well, it looks like Alain and/or Filip get credit for the VX2000 image flip. I certainly won't complain if you want to give me credit for the GL2 discovery :)).

Yeah, I think that means we've solved the problem for VX2000 and GL2 as far as lcd inverting, but not the tape recording. Granted, with all the real-time editors now, inverting shouldn't be too much of a problem soon.

Tomorrow I'll post a detailed breakdown, with pics, of how to rig the GL2's lcd. Add that to you guys posting a how-to for the VX2k and that covers a lot of camcorders. Hopefully Brett will discover a DVX solution too.

I know this is little, but its still pretty exciting to me. Too bad Busta Rhymes is already using the name "Flipmode Squad" because that would really fit us at this point ;).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods