upside down monitor solution - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 3rd, 2004, 04:16 AM   #16
Major Player

Brett, good news... you don't need the mirror mode to get a properly inverted and reverted image. I thought I had the setting on this whole time, but it was actually off. So you just have to figure out how to trick your DVX's lcd into flipping the image.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 10:29 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Filip Kovcin

I did that after I have bouhgt a 2nd monitor and understand that all those monitor are crap , If I whant something good it's gone cost a lot. I knew that this is fesable but was just afraid to open the cover and broke something.
And I am more worry about anamorphique lens for the moment. ;¬)

It look's like my other post havent got your attention about this software, take a serious look to it .

http://www.leadtools.com/SDK/Multime...how-Rotate.htm

There is a demo version.This software can flip the image at the capture. $149

Brett I have try to send you the images you have ask me but it alway's bounce.
Alain
Old April 3rd, 2004, 07:10 PM   #18
Regular Crew

PD100A inverted monitor

Hey all,

I spent today working on my Sony PD100A (DVCAM version of TRV900). The flip out monitor is just like the VX2000. I ended up drilling a hole in the little cover plate shown in Alain's picture posted earlier. I use a filed-down finish nail to depress the little internal button. It works fine though I have to figure out a better way to keep the button depressed.

I also discovered that the inverted image is still reversed left for right so I'm now thinking about making a monitor hood with a glass mirror to completely correct the image. Sadly, I can't figure out a way to electronically reverse the image. I guess my Sony doesn't have a mirror setting for the monitor.

I look at correcting the image in the monitor only as a temporary fix until I can get a hold of a Sony engineer who'll spill the beans on how to internally modify the camera for inverted shooting. Well, at least I won't have to buy a crumby little LCD monitor. Any ideas or suggestions are always welcomed. Joe
Joe Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 06:57 PM   #19
Major Player

Turns out the DVX100 DOES have a mirror/normal option in it's menus. So the DVX users can completely correct their image BUT its important to note for all reading this thread that these changes only effect the camera's monitor and DO NOT correct the image being recorded to tape.

-Brett
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2004, 05:08 PM   #20
Major Player

to Joe Holt - another solutions

maybe there is another solution for users who are working with the cameras where is no possibility to change mirror (left to right) option when using "pin inverter", like in sony pd100. you can make picture upside down, but not left-right

i checked that now with my pd100 camera. there is small part below that cover where the pin is inserted.

(alain, with your permition, i will use this as a reference)

http://www.kheops-tech.com/~ad3d/invert.jpg

so the idea is following:

1) the metal part which is switching monitor picture upside down and left/right is part of that turning ring where the monitor is conected to the camera body. ok. good for now, next.

2) you already drilled a hole for "pin inverter", like myself and many others, good.

and now, the best part...

3) CUT out that metal part!!!!! from the "ring" (it looks like hook)

you already have "pin inverter" - right - so you can make your picture any way you want, right? but not left/right? yes?

now you can - when you cut that metal part, turn your flip monitor upside down and nothing will happened.... no change at all!!!!

from now on - there is no mechanical part which will invert/revert the picture, he, he... and you receive proper image for your aldu/agus!

now you can push your flip monitor back, close to the camera body, so you can see it.

look at it and work "normally" i know that now you must look at the side which is littlebit confusing, but at least it's not oriented left/right.

isn't it great?

filip
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2004, 08:56 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Filip Kovcin

I notice yesterday that ,whit the pin insert ,when I go in a menu or custum setting the image flip left right. So there is certainly a way to do this by programing.

Alain
Old April 11th, 2004, 07:17 PM   #22
Regular Crew

DXV100 and the "normal/mirror" setting

<<<-- Originally posted by Brett Erskine : Turns out the DVX100 DOES have a mirror/normal option in it's menus... -->>>

Hey Brett, are you saying the "Normal/Mirror" setting in the DISPLAY SETUP flips the image in the LCD when set to Mirror? Mine doesn't.
James Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 09:38 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Re: to Joe Holt - another solutions

<<<-- Originally posted by Filip Kovcin : maybe there is another solution for users who are working with the cameras where is no possibility to change mirror (left to right) option when using "pin inverter", like in sony pd100. you can make picture upside down, but not left-right .....

isn't it great?

filip -->>>

Filip,
That is a great idea. I don't know if I'm ready to tear into the monitor mount enough to be able to remove the metal piece that switches to inverted mode. At least not just yet. I am working on an idea of a roof mirrored hood that might do the trick. If it works, anyone would be able to make one of these mirrored hoods to correct the image completely in the monitor without any surgery. I'll post it here when It's ready. I'm also checking some of the optic surpluss sites for a small image correcting prism for use with my viewfinder. Correcting the image in the viewfinder would make handholding an Aldu 35 more pleasant. Thanks again for the great idea. I might have to revert to doing the surgery after all. Nurse! Where's my scalpel!!! :>0

Joe
Joe Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 10:09 AM   #24
Regular Crew

DXV100 and the "normal/mirror" setting

Since the purpose of the "mirror" function on the DVX is to be used in face-to-face shooting (SELFSHOOT), how would it help resolve the flipped image? It doesn't work unless the LCD monitor is flipped 180 degrees toward the lens.
James Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 04:38 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I'm going to eventually get a set of screwdrivers small enough to unscrew the two small screws on the pivot piece of the DVX100's LCD, to see whether there's anything in there that can be switched or tampered with.

Has anyone tried this on the DVX100 already?
Joel Corkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 06:19 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Hey Nicholi and everyone, I started experimenting and found a magnet near the LCD pivot on the DVX, just as Nicholi described on the GL2. Thanks for the link and for posting your response, Nicholi.

By placing my own little magnet in the appropriate spot I got the image to flip as needed. Thankfully I didn't have to dismantle the camera or anything. It's pretty easy to figure out, so I'm sure that anyone who read your post and tried for themselves figured this out too.

It's great that everyone can pitch in a nice little contribution to this effort every now and again, and that people here aren't hoarding discoveries to themselves. This latest tip will save DVX users and others a nice chunk of money by avoiding prismfinders or external LCDs for monitoring purposes. I'm glad that people here are willing to share their findings. It's a very positive thing.
Joel Corkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 06:44 PM   #27
Major Player

this is great to hear - that dvx also have this magnetic trick! great to know.

filip
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:01 PM   #28
Major Player

Thanks! ...
...now where did I put thoughs damn screws..

-Brett Erskine
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:17 PM   #29
Major Player

That's great to hear Joel. I think tricking the lcd like this is much more presentable than a big upside down monitor and will look more professional during shoots.
Right now I'm just using my GL2, which I love, but that DVX100A is sure looking good.
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:37 PM   #30
Regular Crew

little magnet trick

Excellent!
James Webb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods