upside down monitor solution - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 23rd, 2004, 02:52 PM   #46
Major Player

Unless the DVX is very different than the GL2, you guys are making this a lot more complicated than it really is. The process is actually very easy. All you need is a piece of a thin magnet from either a magnetic business card or a sheet from a craft store.

Open the lcd screen all the way and rotate the lcd to a 45 degree angle.
Wedge the magnet between the lcd hinge and lcd body with the black surface facing the lcd screen. You may have to tilt/swing the lcd in order to get a better angle.
Rock the magnet back and forth and in and out until you notice the screen flip. Take note of this location and keep trying until you get the hang of it. On the GL2, the sweet spot is about half of the depth and closer to the front of the camcorder.

Once you've done it a few times and can consistantly find the sweet spot, cut the magnet down to smaller size that won't be as visible.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 04:01 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Thanks, Nicholi

I managed to find the sweet spot on the DVX finally, using one of my little square magnets.

http://www.3dkevlar.com/sweet_spot.jpg

By turning the magnet on its side and pressing it up against the red colored section of the image, right up against the lcd screen with the white side facing the camera, I was able to get the image to flip very reliably, and without distortion. It only works when the lcd is pulled out all the way, and tilted up at a 45 degree angle.

The magnet is about the size of a dime, but is square, and about as thick as 4 or 5 dimes stacked together with a piece of white plastic on one side. Picked it up at Hobby Lobby in a bag of about 10 for $1.47. If anyone's interested, the brand name is simply called "Craft Magnets."

I can take a photo of it working with the magnet later on if needbe, just tied up at the moment.
David Kelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:58 PM   #48
Regular Crew

I just sent some photos to Filip. It really should be easy to figure out where the magnet ought to be if you rub a piece of metal lightly around the DVX LCD pivot with the screen open. You could also look at the photos of the GL2 which works on the same principle.
Joel Corkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:24 PM   #49
Major Player

magnet secret resolved

use the following link to my site to resolve the secret position of magnet for your dvx camera. arrows courtesy of joel :)

http://www.astercity.net/~tarasuma/dvx_page.html

enjoy

filip
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 06:56 AM   #50
Major Player

update

i just updated the above link - now you can CLEARLY see where the magnet is positioned, how it looks, and how it works with DVX.
it really WORKS!!!

dv info net rules!

filip

http://www.astercity.net/~tarasuma/dvx_page.html
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2004, 09:17 AM   #51
Regular Crew

GL-1 FLIP OF THE LCD

Ok I didn't find anything on this, I hope this isn't redundant, I found the switch in the lcd on the GL-1 to flip the image!

On the lcd take the plastic cover off, their are several small screws on the perimeter that will allow this. Then if you look on the inside of the back cover there are two black tabs each with a small aluminum cover. The smaller of the tabs is teh key for the lcd flip switch. On the circuit board of the corresponding point for the protruding tab is the switch to flip the image. It looks like a small rectangular aluminum box with a small black nubbin sticking out of it, yes nubbin. If you press the nubin the image flips.

Along the body of the camera where the lcd rotates is a small groove where the pin which activates the switch slides. The bottom of this groove is angled upward, thereby creating a surface which decreases in depth as you spin the lcd away from you thereby telling the screen to slip when it reaches a certain point.

THe switch can be tricked several ways, the ideal way we be to create a surface in that groove the exact opposite of the oem one. Allowing for the opposite behavior as the current mechanism. (lol i feel like this reads like a tech mannual sorry...)
Old October 11th, 2004, 11:09 PM   #52
Major Player

Thanks for the info, Fred! Could you kindly post some pics?
Old October 12th, 2004, 08:51 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Here are the images the first one is of the cover plate. The arrow is pointing to the mechanism that activates the switch on the circuit board of the lcd. http://www.hazardousproductions.com/...INFO/cover.jpg

The second image http://www.hazardousproductions.com/...dvINFO/pin.jpg shows the circuit board. The red circle is around the actuator that is triggered by the switch on the cover, the arrow is pointing to the pin, that the switch on the cover pushes in thereby flipping the image on the lcd.

I used a small piece of duct tape to hold the pin in.

*edit the links aren't working... but if you copy and paste it, it works.. weirdest thing i've ever seen.
Old October 13th, 2004, 09:54 PM   #54
Major Player

Thanks for the info -- now if only I could get the image to flip left-right, I'd be all set!
Old October 13th, 2004, 10:10 PM   #55
Regular Crew

Is that on the GL-1? I didn't run into any trouble with that. When I flipped it, it wasn't a mirror image. I would guess that if it was you could use the mirror option in the menu?

*edit 10/14
Excellent glad I could help!!
Old October 14th, 2004, 09:55 AM   #56
Major Player

Huh, I hadn't thought of that -- I've got Mirror set to "On," should work perfectly with it off. Thanks again!

- jim
Old October 18th, 2004, 07:37 AM   #57
Major Player

anyone know if the JVC would use a magnet.

Cant seem to flip it

Cheers
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 12:00 AM   #58
New Boot

Does anyone know how to do this mod on an XL2? or can it be done?
Old March 3rd, 2005, 02:13 AM   #59
Major Player

XL2

For the XL2, mount the viewer on the opposite side:

http://www.holyzoo.com/content/35mm/...Adapter_30.jpg

http://www.holyzoo.com/content/35mm/...Adapter_21.jpg
Steev Dinkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #60
Regular Crew

i hate to bring back such an old thread, but i'm very interested on doing this on a gl1, and the pictures down. Can anyone help?
Jeff Phang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods