Nikon D Screen Results at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 12th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #1
Trustee

Nikon D Screen Results

This is basically a branch off of the "Possible Focusing Screen Alternative" thread, but I figured it would be better to start a new one where everyone can post their results if they've tried the screen, or ask questions about it.

In addition to what was posted in the "Possible Focusing Screen Alternative" thread, I have here 9 seconds of completely uncompressed video (about 30~ MB, DV AVI format) of using the adapter with the Nikon D Screen (red dot version). Does anyone agree when I say it seems like I'm getting the same good results as Steev's?

View the footage here.

Still Image 1 Here.

Still Image 2 Here.

I know someone else ordered the D Screen as a result of my examples. Could someone post pictures from Optosigma GG and Microwax as comparison?
Ben Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 01:53 AM   #2
Major Player

The video looks good but there are a lot of black spots on it. Is the focusing screen dirty?

Quyen
Old August 12th, 2005, 10:57 AM   #3
Trustee

Yes, those are dirt marks, i haven't had time to mark the position of the screen in the tube so I can reinstall it later in the same spot. Calibration for that thing took forever. :)
Old August 24th, 2005, 06:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

So I feel I've officially finished my adapter. I'm using the Nikon type D as my focus screen and I couldn't be happier ($30 as opposed to the beattie's hundreds). Anyway, here's the finished adapter and my Konica 1.4 next to it (it's kinda blurry, sorry). https://webspace.utexas.edu/rjs539/www/Lens.jpg

I use a 55mm filter based design so I had to mount the screen a little differently than Mr. Winter. I plan on making a plastic mount soon, but for now I bought a sheet of somewhat thick black project paper and cut out a 55mm filter sized circle out of it. It's easier to just show the picture probably. (Blurry again!) https://webspace.utexas.edu/rjs539/www/GG.jpg
Here's the same filter ring mounted on the camera. https://webspace.utexas.edu/rjs539/www/GG%20Mounted.jpg

I'm also using the magnet method to invert the LCD screen. https://webspace.utexas.edu/rjs539/www/Fullcam.jpg

My footage is suprisingly good indoors and just what you'd expect outdoors. I'll post some footage soon. Thanks Ben for bringing the type D to my attention. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.
Old August 25th, 2005, 07:40 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Ben,
You asked for a optosigma gg screen-grab. I'll try to post one, never posted a link to an image before...

Edit: Sorry link failed

Where do you guys post stuff for free?

Last edited by Donnie Wagner; August 25th, 2005 at 10:07 AM.
Donnie Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 08:09 AM   #6
Major Player

Riley,

1) How did you work out the spacing for the Focal Length? Did you just keep buying spaces until it looked right?
2) Did you get the focusing screen at B&H? Not bad for $30 bucks!
3) Are you using an achromat and or condensers?

BTW Nice looking rig, good job!

Ben your links to your footage tif and avi are not working anymore.

Donnie, your link doesn't seem to work either. Needs a Yahoo sign in or something?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 09:01 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The clips are not working.

I am interested in trying out Nikon focusing screens for an adapter. In england though I cannot find anywhere that sells the plain D-screens. I can find the B-plain matte screens but they have tiny black markings on it but the site says "Note: Focus brackets and 8mm-dia center circle are not etched on the focusing screens".

I wonder if you could get these guide markings off the glass? Maybe with some kind of paint remover or picking them off?

Anyone tried?
I J Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 01:25 PM   #8
Trustee

yeh sorry guys, my website went down the pits after bandwidth got exceeded. I have a new site now however, www.frozenphoenixproductions.com, so i'll post up those things back on there soon.

By the way, at that site, "Jerry" as well as "Nigel's Garden" were filmed with the Nikon D Screen.

Walton, I wouldn't suggest going that route. You need to have a perfect ground glass surface because that's what your camera is focused on, and having it impeccable is even more important because this is a static, non-vibrating adapter. It's not worth the risk of ruining the surface with paint remover or picking it off, even if that was an easy task.

Doesn't B&H ship worldwide?

Edit: Here are the new links.

View Uncompressed test footage here.

Screengrab 1

Screengrab 2
Old August 25th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley Stearns
So I feel I've officially finished my adapter. I'm using the Nikon type D as my focus screen and I couldn't be happier ($30 as opposed to the beattie's hundreds). Anyway, here's the finished adapter and my Konica 1.4 next to it (it's kinda blurry, sorry). https://webspace.utexas.edu/rjs539/www/Lens.jpg

I use a 55mm filter based design so I had to mount the screen a little differently than Mr. Winter. I plan on making a plastic mount soon, but for now I bought a sheet of somewhat thick black project paper and cut out a 55mm filter sized circle out of it. It's easier to just show the picture probably. (Blurry again!) https://webspace.utexas.edu/rjs539/www/GG.jpg
Here's the same filter ring mounted on the camera. https://webspace.utexas.edu/rjs539/www/GG%20Mounted.jpg

I'm also using the magnet method to invert the LCD screen. https://webspace.utexas.edu/rjs539/www/Fullcam.jpg

My footage is suprisingly good indoors and just what you'd expect outdoors. I'll post some footage soon. Thanks Ben for bringing the type D to my attention. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Ya got the screen in backwards!
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy Leo
Riley,

1) How did you work out the spacing for the Focal Length? Did you just keep buying spaces until it looked right?
2) Did you get the focusing screen at B&H? Not bad for $30 bucks!
3) Are you using an achromat and or condensers?

BTW Nice looking rig, good job!

Ben your links to your footage tif and avi are not working anymore.

Donnie, your link doesn't seem to work either. Needs a Yahoo sign in or something?
Thanks Mandy. To answer your questions...

1) I remember you saying that you were using a Konica like mine. If so, the length that has worked for me is 5 filter rings and the step up ring. There are two types of filter rings I've found. One is your basic filter that uv filters usually come in, and then there's also a slightly larger ring. I have 3 normal ones and 2 larger ones. The distance I use now works good, but is ever so slightly off. I'll change it soon.

2) I did buy the screen from B&H and it works great.

3) I am not using a condensor right now, but that's not to say the screen couldn't benefit from one between it and the camera. I just have to zoom in on it a little more and use a +10 Hoya (expensive but such a good investment).

I have to say, it's been an interesting project working on this adapter and for a 19 year old, kinda pricey. I'm so glad I did it though because the image is great and it feels good to make it from scratch. I want to do a short with it as soon as possible and as soon as I do I'll post the link. Have a nice day.
Old August 25th, 2005, 05:15 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Bill, I didn't know it made a significant difference. I'll try the other way.
Old August 25th, 2005, 09:52 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley Stearns
3) I am not using a condensor right now
If you flip the screen around you will be. ;-)
Look closer :)
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 10:06 PM   #13
Regular Crew

It actually yeilds the same results in my opinion, but you're right, the built in pcx lens works well.
Old August 25th, 2005, 11:55 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Low Light Test

This footage was taken with one standard 60w indoor light bulb directly overhead as the only light source. It's short and shakey but gives you and idea.

https://webspace.utexas.edu/rjs539/w...ght%20Test.mov
Old August 26th, 2005, 01:28 AM   #15
Trustee

Anybody want to buy my Nikon D Screen adapter? $185 people...that's a steal...
Ben Winter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods