Nikon D Screen Results - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 8th, 2005, 11:26 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
Lol, indeed, same here. It is a shame that the screen suffers from that, though. I think thats the only thing vibrating adapters have over static ones.
You can't classify all static screens as being like the Nikon D. I tried one, and the Nikon D is great for $30, but there are better static solutions, as we've seen from others around here.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:03 AM   #32
Trustee

Oh, I'm not saying there aren't, I'm just saying that in general, vibrating adapters will reduce grain at greater apertures more than static adapters will.
Old September 9th, 2005, 02:10 AM   #33
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Tyler
Ben I closed the aperture and I got an extreme case of grain. If I use this method I won't be able to close the aperture much. I don't plan on closing it much anyway. And thanks.
What would happen if you kept the iris BIG and used a further ND filter?

Just a thought . .Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 03:50 AM   #34
Major Player

Graham,
I beleive this to work, but I think its best to keep the SLR aperture open, and adjusting the exposure of the image with the camcorders aperture.

Wayne.
Wayne Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 02:12 PM   #35
Major Player

I agree, it's best to do your "darkening" [i]after/i] the screen, i.e. with camcorder's internal ND filter or iris.
Old September 9th, 2005, 04:29 PM   #36
Trustee

Actually I was referring to if someone wanted to deepen the DOF using aperture control. But, of course, we're all in this for shallow DOF, so why not...
Old September 9th, 2005, 05:06 PM   #37
Major Player

Yup.

One reason to use these devices that is totally aside from depth of field is simply lens options. The DVX for example is quoted at being 4.5-45mm focal length, supposedly translating to 32.5-325mm in SLR equivalent. I don't have a 32.5mm SLR lens to try on my adapter but I do have a 28mm and it offers about the same angle of view as the DVX with no adapter. When I've used SLR lenses shorter than 28mm with my shallow-DOF adapter, it has given me the ability to capture wider angles of view than my camera could with its original lens.

You could always use an add-on wide angle adapter lens like the Raynox, Century Optics, etc., though I never have, so I don't know how the optics of a single element add-on lens compare to a nice wide angle SLR lens. I would assume the SLR is far better since the camera manufacturers have to use several elements to get a nice image. Still, from what I have seen, the add-ons seem to work.
Old October 6th, 2005, 11:21 PM   #38
Major Player

Would it be possible to sandwhich the Nikon D focusing screen between two 52mm UV filters for protection from dust and easier installation? I was planning on just using some regular 2" tubing, not threaded like the ones listed. Also, what macro steppings would work? I currently have a +1, +2, and +4, would a stack or one of these work? Or will I have to get a much higher macro like +7-10? Basically, what's the minimum macro that works with this?
Old October 6th, 2005, 11:49 PM   #39
Trustee

Quote:
Basically, what's the minimum macro that works with this?
It completely depends on your camera and its ability to focus on things up close. A +4 macro that works for you on one adapter will probably work on another adapter provided the ground glass is the same distance away from the lens.

Yes, the ground glass can be sandwiched between UV filters.
Old October 7th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #40
Major Player

If you need a +7 +10 macro, I have one for sale, let me know. Less glass is always better when you stack +1 +2 +4 you have three pieces where with +7 you have one, but that is something that you have to decide.
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 08:34 AM   #41
Major Player

Oh good, sandwhiching the Nikon D screen should save me a TON of trouble, I was going to go with the wax route and that looked pretty iffy to me. I've got a GL1 and all the guides seem to be using different macros, some use just a +3, others use +7, and then most common is a +10 macro, I figure you'd need to zoom in anyway so why haul out for a big macro like that? BTW, I'm building my adapter with stepping rings so I can use it on my GL1 now and use it with a future 72mm camera when I upgrade to HD.

One thing about the sandwhiching thing, the Nikon D screen won't be jingling around between the two filters will it? I don't know how small the screen is.
Old October 7th, 2005, 12:29 PM   #42
Trustee

Just a note: the more you zoom in, the higher power the macro you need.

You'll have to glue in the screen. It's a rectangular-sized thing that, if placed in the ring of a 52mm UV filter, will barely touch at the corners.
Old October 20th, 2005, 05:32 AM   #43
Tourist

hi!

can any of you guys please tell me how do you manage to keep the focusing screen clean?
I keep cleaning it but i still get little dirt sitting on it!!

thanks in advance
Danny Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #44
Trustee

Use compressed air to completely blast out all the tiny particles, then seal the deal and only open the ends sparingly.
Old October 21st, 2005, 03:13 AM   #45
Tourist

thank you Ben.
Danny Hadji is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods