Nikon D Screen Results - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 26th, 2005, 08:33 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
Anybody want to buy my Nikon D Screen adapter? $185 people...that's a steal...
Are you going to stick with the letus?
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:39 AM   #17
Major Player

Looks pretty damn good! What is the screen made with? Is it ground glass, or some sort of wax?

I'm at B&H later today...
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:58 AM   #18
Major Player

For the adapter or for just the nikon screen?
$185 isn't a bad price, but what are you going to do instead?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 09:17 AM   #19
Major Player

Riley,

So when you say the focal length is not perfect, are you off by a hair? I wonder how some people get it perfect with their spacers! I didn't see any long shots at infinity to really tell, do you have any?
Interestingly enough, when I set about trying to emulate Quylen rig, I used Foam core (I am guessing like you used or something similar) to place the GG in when it vibrated. Unfortunately it doesn't work too well for vibrating, but will work well for what you are doing inside the tube - which is a great idea btw!
The low light test looks great, the focusing screen can really help. Yeah, I think we are using the same lens 57mm konica. I do like the lens but the focus ring is a bit loose (but what do I expect for $5.00 at a charity shop?). I am thinking seriously of moving to the static GG or the letus because of the colour abberation I am getting with some lights and certain situations with the plastic GG (which is corrected closing the iris on my camera.).
Old August 26th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #20
Trustee

Yeh, I've enjoyed the results of the Letus35 enough to let go of this adapter. My only qualm about doing this is that I really won't be able to use the zoom lens as much, being that it's too heavy and the macro lens isn't screwed in so the whole assembly tends to sag a bit. Maybe if I tighten up the screw it won't do that.
Ben Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy Leo
I wonder how some people get [focal length] perfect with their spacers!
Either get a big variety of spacers/rings, or get creative. With my screen there was no way to get it "spacered" to where it wanted to be, since it would have been off by about half a spacer depth, so I found a way to get it mounted deeper into one ring.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 04:26 PM   #22
Trustee

I find the whole thorlabs tube setup to be a tremendous help here. It's standard 52mm threads on either end, and the way you mount them into the ring, it's a matter of simply screwing it up or down on the inside to move it as small an increment as needed. Through this method I was able to get the screen in the exact position 42mm from the lens mounting flange.
Ben Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 08:39 AM   #23
Major Player

Ah, that is helpful Ben. The thorlabs does sound like a good idea - and since it is under $20 that is something that will replace alot of spacers and uv filters! Which size did you get?
Old August 27th, 2005, 08:57 AM   #24
Trustee

I got this one:

http://www.thorlabs.com/ProductDetai...roduct_ID=1481

The picture is inaccurate; it's shorter in length and much thinner. It comes with one retaining ring, by the way, so you don't need to buy extras (which are $10) to mount the screen. I think the thorlobs route is a really cheap and spacesaving way to go, without having to bother with UV filters.
Old August 27th, 2005, 09:06 AM   #25
Major Player

Hey Ben,

Do you have an shot of what it looks like inside the tube? I realise you said that it has a thread running along the inside to screw in, but I then realised that you would need a screen holder that would also have the exact threaded ring as well, right?
Old August 27th, 2005, 03:27 PM   #26
Trustee

Mandy, I glued the focusing screen into the retaining ring since it touched at the edges by a hair. A very easy process.
Old September 8th, 2005, 08:06 PM   #28
Trustee

Fantastic work. The D Screen gets the job done, doesn't it?

Could you try closing the aperture a lot and seeing what happens there? I was getting grain problems.
Old September 8th, 2005, 08:27 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Ben I closed the aperture and I got an extreme case of grain. If I use this method I won't be able to close the aperture much. I don't plan on closing it much anyway. And thanks.
Jeff Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 11:07 PM   #30
Trustee

Lol, indeed, same here. It is a shame that the screen suffers from that, though. I think thats the only thing vibrating adapters have over static ones.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods