Micro35 (original thread) - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 26th, 2005, 10:05 AM   #106
Major Player

Ok, so if you can't make them yourself, you are getting someone else to make them - does this factor into your $45 worth of parts? Or is this extra? Or do you specify what to do if a person wants to go to a glass-smith and do it themselves?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 10:11 AM   #107
Micro35

The guide explains how to make a good gg that works well. See the second clip on the website.

The reason I'm having them made, is because I don't have the time to make a thousand CDs in my garage. ;)

Thanks Mandy!

james.
James Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 10:22 AM   #108
Major Player

Sorry, I meant the macro lens! I thought you said in a previous post you were making your own macro lens - or did I miss something?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #109
Major Player

This device does not flip the image rightside up, correct?
Ari Shomair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:16 AM   #110
Trustee

still no micro35.com

No web site is configured at this address.

when will you take an order for the guide?
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:19 AM   #111
New Boot

@ Obin

Maybe give this domain a try :-)

http://www.micro35.com/
Eric Gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:19 AM   #112
New Boot

dbl post :-(
Eric Gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:22 AM   #113
Micro35

No it doesn't. But the guide explains how to flip the image on the camera. You can also turn any previewing monitor upside down. In addition to that, many external LCDs being used on shoots today have settings to rotate the image as well.

The guide explains how to get great DOF footage at a price below $45. There's no way to incorporate a prism assembly into the project at that kind of price. Not to mention that your standard indie person would have problems putting it together mechanically.

But at that kind of price, flipping the image in post is no problem for me and many other money concious folks.

I've used the adapter on my shoulder, on my tripod, and even on my steadicam. With the simple work-arounds, the shoot goes on.

I'm thinking about building a more expensive device that does rotate the image correctly, by either digitizing the signal, or using a prism assembly. But to be honest, I'm having problems design a more expensive device that will end up having the same quality footage as the $45 model. That's why I chose to release the guide. There is no reason why you should go spend more money for something that YOU can build yourself. That's why these forums have soo much action. People will not live with what the industry has given them. And I won't either for that matter. That's why I'll be releasing a Follow Focus unit and a Nice Matte Box soon.

Does this help Ari?

james
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:24 AM   #114
Micro35

You're probably right Eric. I'm running about 8 sites on this server and I believe that the "www" is required.

THanks!
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:40 AM   #115
Major Player

Thanks James, answers my question. Signed up for the mailing list, waiting for more info :)
Old January 26th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #116
Micro35

Hey guys and gals,
The new enclosures just came in!! They're soo dope! They're powder coated black! So they shouldn't scratch easy AND you won't have to paint them like I did!

And yes! The guide gives you the source for them!
Old January 26th, 2005, 03:10 PM   #117
Major Player

James, I looked through the thread, but couldn't tell what lens systems this is compatible with. Canon, Minolta, Pentax? Which mount?
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 03:54 PM   #118
Trustee

James, what I and I'm sure many others would love to see, is if you could post some completely uncompressed sample footage using the very latest of your new product, so that we can download it and watch on our own editing monitors/tvs.

I think it would really help sell your product too, if the end footage is without distortion or flickering or other strange abberations, and we can scrutinize with our own eyes in an environment that's not on a computer. It's very hard to judge footage quality without seeing it on your own editing monitor/tv.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 03:58 PM   #119
Major Player

I think the best move you could make would be to make a demo DVD to send out, with not only footage from the adapter but also of the camera and adapter.

Blank DVD-Rs can be had for less then 50 cents these days, throw on another 50 cents for postage... send them out for free or charge $2 for it which you then discount from purchase price if they decide to buy.
Old January 26th, 2005, 04:10 PM   #120
Micro35

Totally understandable!

I thought about doing the DVD thing. Still might. I'll have more uncompressed footage up soon. You'll also be able to view the footage from other shorts and music videos that are using the device.
James Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods