Micro35 (original thread) - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 22nd, 2005, 09:48 AM   #46
Trustee

is this a rotating CD-rom style adaptor?
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 10:07 AM   #47
Major Player

Spinning CD

Well if you look at the video you can tell it is a spinning GG... With NO hole... Look at the video with the horse and the sky background. The sky has a circler pattern on each side of the horses head... Indicating that we are looking at the center of the ground glass and see an up motion on the left and a down motion on the right... So if I was to guess we are looking straight at the center of the GG... NOW maybe this is a bad compression... Maybe the contrast doesn't need to be this much from the horse/subject and the sky... To keep the GG moving the GG would have to rest on a rubber wheel/motor... YEP although it's been fun working on building the one I am just finishing WILL I buy... PLUS mine in freaking huge... Thanks
Old January 22nd, 2005, 05:09 PM   #48
Micro35

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of a all-day guide writing fest!

Looks like we're around $45 for parts... I'm going to try and get this down some more...

I don't know if the new ggs will affect the price.

Stay tuned!

james
James Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 07:27 PM   #49
Major Player

James where did you ever hear about laser etched gg...? ;-)

A little credit here. You know I never could find out where you could get pieces that didnt have frame markings on it like Canon's laser etched focusing screens. Sounds like you did so thank you for that. This is real good news because laser etched screens are the finest grained screens I've ever tested. But not all are the same quality. Some of them are etched in a fine patern that is "too perfectly uniform". What sometimes happens with these is a strange moire effect. I believe Nikon corrected many years back when they started doing laser etch screens with a "random" etch. I'm not going to ask where you got them but Im curious if the ones you found are focusing screens as well (meaning they have their own lens built into the back side) or just flat laser GG?

Craig-
I wouldnt think it rotates this way. First of all James said it didnt move at all. But if it did rotate like this without a center hub and the device looks straight into the center then that could mean bad news because the grain in the very center isnt really moving that much (if at all) and could result in a visable spot in the middle of the image. But this is in theory. Perhaps it will work. They make bearings that look like empty filter rings that would be perfect for this. I would post a link to them if I had it. Try a google search - "ring bearings" maybe.
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 09:13 PM   #50
Major Player

think about the center really not moving

yep I didn't think about the center really not moving BUT with the video that has been shown.. you can see the circler pattern with the compression the way it is.. hopefully the DV video isn't like this.. Thanks
Old January 23rd, 2005, 12:31 PM   #51
Micro35

The GG IS moving. And the motion is visible because of the first-rev GG I was using. Not too mention I had the shutter speed up higher than normal...

Jamey
Get on the List!
Old January 23rd, 2005, 01:30 PM   #52
Regular Crew

James, have you tested the Micro35 using Brett's chart @ http://www.cinematographerreels.com/mini35info.htm ? I think all of us are very excited about getting our hands on your plans (once they're done of course) but I'd like to see you use it on a res chart and Brett's solution... Thanks!
Ryan Koo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2005, 01:36 PM   #53
Micro35

Funny you say that, I'd used Brett's chart for framing the image on the GG for the last year. Its just another example of Brett's great contributions over the history of the adapter projects.

Thanks Brett!
Old January 23rd, 2005, 09:59 PM   #54
New Boot

James, are you still looking into affordable relay systems?
Any success in finding one?
Old January 23rd, 2005, 10:03 PM   #55
Micro35

Kyle,
I'm finishing the guide first. Then I'll attack the relay. I've already made some progress on it, but I've got to stay focused before I head off in that direction. I'm pretty confident that a solution will be available soon!

james
Old January 24th, 2005, 01:34 AM   #56
Major Player

Thanks James for the kind words....Your check is in the mail.

-Brett
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2005, 01:58 AM   #57
Micro35

Hey Guys,
I've updated some information on the site. I'm trying to get emails sent out to everyone but I'm not having much luck with the number of address... I'll have this fixed soon!

Here's the update:
www.micro35.com/welcome2.htm

Also, here's a solid model of the unit:
www.micro35.com/pics/3d.jpg

Thanks!
Old January 24th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #58
Trustee

James can you tell us if we will need any special tools to get the quality you seem to have in your system? seems to me atleast one would need a lathe/mill/drill press...can you please comment so that everyone knows what it takes to build this unit? thanks for the help and this will help me make a decision on what to buy if anything..thanks again
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2005, 09:06 AM   #59
Regular Crew

Looks great James. When it is actually up for sale, can you post some res charts, etc? Thanks!
Ryan Koo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #60
Micro35

A drill will be the biggest tool you'll need. The lathe and mill were really just a waste of money. I was going to go for the oscillation device. There was no reason to.
James Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods