Does your 550D overheat? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 5th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #61
Major Player

60D vs T2i

When I first got the 60D I ran it through two 32gb cards in a room temp of 75 degrees. It did not give the temp warning, granted, it was only 75.

Then over the weekend I did a two camera interview in a room about 80 degrees. After about 45 minutes of continuous recording, well stopping and restarting every 12 minutes, the 60D did not give either of the temperature warning icons. The T2i did flash the red temperature warning but did not shut down.
Old October 6th, 2010, 05:45 AM   #62
Regular Crew

Yea I second Mark, ran 60D for 3 hours at room temperature. no overheating icon no problems.
Very pleased.
Josh Fung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 11:28 AM   #63
Major Player

Fan in the Ex1

Hi Bryan, We have and Ex1 and of course it never overheats in our Key West environment I believe due to the internal fan. Albeit it's samll and silent, but it does the job.
Our T2i on the other hand is another story. LOL
Thanks!
Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #64
Regular Crew

I've never even seen a high heat warning, let alone have it shut off.
David Aronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #65
Major Player

Re: Does your 550D overheat?

I use our 550D for wide/fixed shots in dance concert productions in theaters. It overheats on every shoot during the course of the event.

Also, I get the dreaded "movie has stopped recording" error regularly as well. That is more of a worry than the heat problem because it comes "out of nowhere". I have been unaware of it and missed some shots at times until I happen to look at the screen.
David Cleverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 05:02 PM   #66
Regular Crew

T2i overheated and shutdown during a recording. Later, it appears that the file it was recording at that time was not recorded. It shows a 0 kb file size (when it should be a GB or two...). Have others encountered this?
Christian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:08 AM   #67
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
Now it has not shut down on me but the icon comes on and the cards are blazing hot from the heat coming from the camera. If I did not have the grip would it be worst? I'm not sure and don't want to try it out on a job. Changing the battery every 40 minutes was pretty frustrating at a Christian Quinceanera prior to using the grip.
Hi Monday!

I'm afraid the cure is to replace the T2i with either the T3i, T4i, or 60D (if you want to stay in the Canon system). It seems the articulating LCD on those models has physically separated the two main heat generating components, the sensor and the LCD. I've seen no credible reports of overheating with those models.

I've switched to Panasonic GH2s for other reasons but those seem to not have the overheating problem (they also have an articulating LCD as well as a built in EVF.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD