Does your 550D overheat? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 20th, 2010, 01:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Does your 550D overheat?

I have read a lot of threads about the Canon 7D overheating. I have not heard anything about the 5D MK2 overheating.

Has anyone experienced any overheating and shut down with the Canon 550D?

The longest I have run the 550D has been 7 minutes indoors with no problems.

Thanks for any information.
John Mastrogiacomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 02:51 AM   #2
Major Player

It hasn't happened to mine yet. I used it for a paying job yesterday with no problems. That said, I'm in Ireland, the job was outside and the weather was sunny but cool.
Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 05:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

No yet. May be when the weather will go warn ...
Jarda Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

We shot for hours on one commercial and no problems with the 7D. Biggest problem was that we only had one fully charged battery, so, we struggled with that.

At Sundance, we had no problems with heat. Of course, it was really cold there, ha!
Jonathan W. Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #5
Trustee

Yes a couple of times but I was shooting for over an hour (short clips) When I saw the warning, I just shut the camera down for about 5 minutes, then it was ok for the rest of the shoots.

Wish there was something we could do to prevent it from happening at all!
Old March 20th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Did a 2 camera shoot yesterday with a T2i and a 7D, the 7D overheated after about an hour of setup and a 10 minute shot, the T2i didn't overheat at all, but the 7D's battery lasted a lot longer than the T2i's! The shoot was inside, not very hot.

My T1i did overheat last year on a crazy hot day, that wasn't surprising though...
Jef Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #7
Major Player

It is an absolute fact that these cameras will overheat. I got 75 minutes out of my 550d last week, I stopped the test, the camera did not give up. Last night I was working in a very warm club, got the warning mid way through the 4th, 11 minute clip. It was not a problem as we had EX1s as main cams. Its just a matter of keeping an eye on everything, and taking tempratures etc into account.
Old March 21st, 2010, 03:35 AM   #8
Trustee

I took my new 550D out for the first time today, and deliberately left it switched on in video mode to test for overheating. After 30 minutes of Singapore midday temperatures (mix of sunshine and cloud) the red temperature bulb warning came on but I was still able to take the shot.

So it's definitely a problem if you are in a warm environment. I think it will be good practice to switch the camera off whenever possible.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 01:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

The manual says...

the temp. indicator may come on while shooting video, but it will continue to shoot.
Obviously, the lower data rate of HD is easier on the camera than high-rate still photography.
Old March 21st, 2010, 07:56 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Received this from Canon Support:

We haven't found any issues with the Rebel T2i or 7D overheating. The
working temperature range for your camera is 32-104F. The working
humidity is 85% or less. Please be sure to only use the camera within
the specified range. If you are recording video in high temperatures
you should let the camera rest between recordings.
Old March 21st, 2010, 08:10 PM   #11
Inner Circle

They should have also recommended to keep the camera out of the sun. A black camera looks great, but soaks in heat. Especially avoid having the sun shine on the LCD. I've had my 5D2 overheat once after having it on a tripod with the sun shining on the back of the camera. Keeping a white cloth available to put over the camera would be a good idea in warm conditions.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 12:51 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi Jon,

I am willing to compile of list of overheating problems and send them to Canon but I need specific information to submit to them.

I will ask all users with overheating problems to provide the following information and then I will submit a summary to Canon and keep on top of them until we get this resolved.

I worked in computer tech support for a government contractor debugging computer programs for years and the best way to debug these problems is to be able to reproduce it, so the more detailed information we have the better chance we have to solve this problem.

As soon as Canon can repeatedly reproduce the problem the sooner we will have solution.

Here is the information I will need before I can submit it to Canon:

Camera Model
Serial Number
Firmware version
Your e-mail address and phone number so I can forward it to Canon in case they want to contact you.
Were you shooting outside or inside?
Were you in the sun or shade?
Ambient temperature, estimated humidity.
What memory cards were you using, any additional devices attached, etc.
Handheld, tripod, steadicam, etc.
What modes were you shooting in, eg. 1920 30fps, 720 60fps, etc.
How long was the camera on, how were you using it.
Any other relevant information.

Hopefully, we can get this resolved in the near future.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:30 PM   #13
Major Player

We saw the overheating icon during a wedding ceremony yesterday. It was indoors at room temperature and just three 10 minute clips was all it took to overheat. Most likely we could have kept shooting for a while but we just shut down the camera.

So in a warm setting either we'll need to shield/cool the camera or just not use it.
Old March 25th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #14
Trustee

I used it a couple of days ago as a b-cam and it was a controlled situation with 5-8min takes. Since I was directing, I purposefully took a bit of time between takes and shut the camera completely off for that time. Never saw the temp light and it performed flawlessly.

Also of note, I was using the AC adapter instead of the battery which was really nice. I also have the battery grip coming and am curious to see how that performs. The reason I mention this may be flawed logic, so let me hear your thoughts, a battery in use will generate heat. The AC adapter generates it's heat at the power supply which is not in the camera. With the battery grip, the batteries are outside the camera too...maybe it'll help!

This was way different from the previous shoot where it was on quite often.
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #15
Trustee

I saw the thermometer for the first time yesterday, but it wasn't red.
While shooting (for the first time) 720 60P, in a climate controlled office, which is kept at about 72 degrees.
The thermometer came on (as I said not red, but showed up o screen for the first time) after only 1 minute after turning it on.

To date I haven't seen the thermometer at all while shooting 1080 30P, usually in 5-10 minute intervals.
But curious that it showed up shortly after running 720 60P. hmmm.....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD