Does your 550D overheat? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:01 PM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bufkin View Post
Is the heat issue non-existent with the grip?
Nope still there. About every hr if it's not turned off for at least 5 minutes the red icon pops on. I just keep blowing at the camera hoping it doesn't turn off. ^_^
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:04 PM   #47
Major Player

Really? Others on here said that it helped this issue. That's frustrating as mine is on the way. Thanks for the info.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:27 PM   #48
Major Player

It may help others. All I know is that it's been in the High 80's low 90's here in Maryland and the cameras over heating icon does still come on. Now it has not shut down on me but the icon comes on and the cards are blazing hot from the heat coming from the camera. If I did not have the grip would it be worst? I'm not sure and don't want to try it out on a job. Changing the battery every 40 minutes was pretty frustrating at a Christian Quinceanera prior to using the grip.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:56 PM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bufkin View Post
Is the heat issue non-existent with the grip?
Not non-existant, but I've found that it helps a great deal. I shoot in a particular environment once a month. The first time I got an overheat warning and the camera shut down. Since getting the battery grip I've not seen it overheat in that environment.

My shoot yesterday was the first time I'd seen the overheat icon since getting the grip, and it took being outside in direct 95 degree sun to do it.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 07:27 PM   #50
Major Player

Thanks for the info Bryan. How long did you shoot continuously before getting the heat warning?
Old June 3rd, 2010, 07:49 PM   #51
Major Player

Yesterday in the sun I was shooting 3-5 min bursts for about 30 minutes. I'd have 2-3 minutes between clips but I wasn't turning the camera off.

The camera did get pretty hot, even when off. That black body sucks up the sunlight. Canon should make a white DSLR. :)
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:32 AM   #52
Regular Crew

Mine overheated after about 10 mins in the sun around 18c, and required shutting down for 5 mins in a cool room to work again. In those conditions probably a good idea to use the white cloth suggestion or move to shade / cool area wherever possible between shots - but the upshot is it means we can't rely on the camera in warm sunny conditions, especially with clients present who have very limited time.

Last edited by Mark Slocombe; June 4th, 2010 at 01:42 AM.
Mark Slocombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #53
Inner Circle

On my 5D2, I had overheating only once. The camera was on a tripod in the sun, it was late in the day, and the sun was shining directly on the LCD panel.

So, yes, a white cloth is a good idea - especially on a tripod where the camera will be in the sun continuously.
Old June 14th, 2010, 07:13 AM   #54
Major Player

So I finally got a chance to shoot with my new T2i along with my 5d and 7d. It was 94F last Saturday and I shot a wedding ceremony. My T2i with battery grip went the distance for approximately a 45 minute ceremony. The overheating icon came on but it never shut down. My 7d with no battery grip did shut down for 10 seconds in the last moments of the ceremony. The 5d with battery grip did not have any issue. I used a tape based camera for backup since it was my first shoot with the T2i and I am glad I have it for safety.
Old September 5th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #55
Major Player

Today i experinced the overheating icon about 30 min into a shoot where I'd shoot a song, stop recoding and start recording again immediately because that's how the set was being played. After shooting with a 5D mk2 for the last year and a half and never seeing an overheating icon, I didn't know what it was.
So today was shooting on a tripod in the shade at about 80F. Is this camera defective in design?
Old September 5th, 2010, 11:02 PM   #56
Regular Crew

T2i overheating

Defective No. Its that its made of plastic vs the metal body of the 5D. The 5D disapates heat much better as a result.

According to Canon Support you might run that camera with that overheating symbol for some time and not hurt the camera at all. When it really truly gets to hot it will shut itself down. This is about how it feels in the hands of consumers. Its more of a liability thing "to hot to handle"
Of course it does not get hot enough to burn you, it would power off before that happened, however..... companies always err very conservatively in these cases to avoid any litigation etc.

Defective? I think that the sensor may not work exactly the same way in every single camera. Your flashing the symbol at 30min, someone else at 65min. etc. Then there is the ambient temperature etc etc etc.

For what its worth.....

CM
Clayton Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #57
New Boot

overheat

Just finished shooting a short film with my t2i. The shoot was mostly ext/day, in hot and humid Tel Aviv. After about an hour of continues starts and stops I got the warning sign. 5 mins in the shade and it was good. I believe that a lot of the over heating is from prolonged sensor exposure. For the rest of the day I closed the mirror shutter or the matte box between takes and there was no problem.
Yaniv Glaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #58
Regular Crew

It's absurd that we are making all kinds of excuses for the fact that the camera is overheating.
It is unacceptable and thats it. No icebags, no waiting every 10 minutes, just solve the the problem canon.
It is true that we get a nice picture and we can live with the crappy sound recording, but overheating.
Canon give me a brick no..............
John Poipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #59
Major Player

How is it unacceptable that a still-image camera being pushed to pull video from a giant sensor, compress it to a standard video format, and store it real-time to a cheap, small memory card gets a little warm sometimes?

We are pushing these cameras to their limits, that's all.

There are a few common factors that tend to surface when discussing overheating Canons...

-Shooting 720 60p
-Using less then stellar SD cards (this seems to be the biggest problem causer, as seen right here in your thread, John: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...movie-cam.html...)

Now if, say, an EX1r was overheating this regularly, I'd be right there with you. But with these cams? You have to live with the limitations of using something that's not exactly designed to take the level of use it's getting. The T2i is a great video camera, you just have to accept that it isn't a full time dedicated, problem free video camera!

Last edited by Bryan Cantwell; September 24th, 2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: added link
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #60
Major Player

I've shot several weddings with 2 7D and 1 T2i before.
T2i always heats up first during long ceremony.
We usually continuously shoot back to back.
7D heats up, too.. time to time...
never heard 5D heating up.
I am gonna put 60D to test if it heats up like T2i.

JJ
J.J. Kim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD