Does your 550D overheat? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:11 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Me to

My unit overheated about 90min. into a shoot off and on with just that camera. Not a real problem as far as Im concerned in that I don't really see this unit in the same way as I see my HV20 and HV30 cameras. Its really for getting better color depth in low light and of course that super pretty DOF stuff. ..... and Its my very 1st SLR so I now can hone my Still photo chops as well.

What I really want is an HPX300 for doing video work.

Love my T2i so far.
Clayton Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:39 PM   #17
Major Player

Got the heat warning today shooting a Quinceanera outside. It was a 70 degree day here in Maryland. Camera was on for prob 40 mins then I shut it off for a couple of mins and went back to filming no problem.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #18
Trustee

Not so far... even though it's been warm for this time of year in Michigan.

Not 90 degrees warm, but warm.

Of course, I tend to turn the camera off every instant I'm not using it to conserve power.

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #19
Regular Crew

First night out lesson...

I've had good success with test shoots around the house, but last night I finally got the heat indicator while shooting a dance party so crazy they blew the main breaker on most of a good sized auditorium! The AC went with it and the room did not even begin to cool for nearly 90 min. after the power was restored. My reaction was to simply power-off the camera for a while, then continue.

When the battery finally ran out (and here's the lesson) it was (I'll say) quite warm. Not really hot, but warmer than I expected. Batteries do warm when discharging, but the confined space may be a problem.

From now on I'm going to carry a spare battery and swap it often. I think this will limit some of the heat build-up.
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #20
Trustee

since getting the battery grip, I've had no issues
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Turchick View Post
since getting the battery grip, I've had no issues
That's good to hear! I'm getting one for sure.
Are your batteries pretty warm after a shoot?
I'll bet not so hot as two discharging batteries are inherently cooler.

(Why didn't they think of that?)
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #22
Major Player

Someone needs to design an umbrella that attaches to the hot shoe. It could be attached on sunny days to keep it cool. Who is up for it :)
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rogers View Post
That's good to hear! I'm getting one for sure.
Are your batteries pretty warm after a shoot?
I'll bet not so hot as two discharging batteries are inherently cooler.

(Why didn't they think of that?)
fairy warm...shoot yesterday it was about 80 outside and 100 inside! YUK! I think getting the batteries out of the camera helps. I also did a shoot with the power adapter and had no issues.
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Dyle View Post
Someone needs to design an umbrella that attaches to the hot shoe. It could be attached on sunny days to keep it cool. Who is up for it :)
Cinegear.us - Quality Film Gear
Check out the Cinegear Cutter - Flag Clamp.
I bought one years ago and carry it everywhere.
It saved my biscuits on sunny shoots and in rain!
I can't say enough good things about such a cheap bit of kit!
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #25
Major Player

I picked up the battery grip yesterday and had a mammoth shoot today. Shot pretty close to all day for about 8 hours. Inside we shot interviews for about 4 hours straight, then shot outside for most of the afternoon.

Absolutely zero temperature warnings!!!! It was wonderful. Previously I'd had it overheat after about an hour of shooting under interview conditions and was worried about today. But it was awesome, never even came up and I shot the crap out of the camera.

Most testing needed, of course, but I'm incredibly pleased with the grip. Being able to change batteries without removing the camera from the tripod is worth the cost alone, the overheating issue is just a super bonus.

I'd say the battery grip moves solidly into the required accessories category.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #26
Trustee

well, did another shoot indoors with 5-8 min takes and wasn't til the end of the shoot that the temp light came on. This is with the battery grip. It was about 85 deg outside and not much cooler in. My buddy's 5D got its warning about the same time as mine which sucked cause we had to halt the take.

Then last Saturday I shot outside for almost 2 hours with the battery grip and it came on a few times but it was close to 90 deg and camera was in the sun for a good chunk of time. Luckily it was all b-roll.

I think Philip Bloom has the right idea...need two bodies for serious work.
Old April 20th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #27
Major Player

Today was my first day with the T2i as my primary camera on a shoot and I'd come to the same conclusion. While not for heat issues I just wanted a second camera available for b-roll and to use if something happens to the primary.

And at $700 it's a no-brainer, though I'm considering getting a 7D for the primary.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 01:09 PM   #28
Inner Circle

since the grip hold all the batteries under the body, i wonder we can use the part of the grip that takes place into the body to add a very small fan (or even a cooling element).
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:39 AM   #29
New Boot

T2i = perfect

I just shot a 2 hour theatre production with the T2i and several other cameras. I shot the dress rehearsal and the main production making a total of 4 hours of footage in 1 day from the T2i. I went through 4 battery changes and 2 X 32 gig memory cards.

Absolutely no overheating whatsoever.

The theatre was full and the stage lighting made it a little warm, but I was shooting constantly in bursts of 5 to 10 minutes with a break of 5 seconds between each. The camera felt a little warm in my hand but not significantly warmer than usual.

Maybe direct sunlight on the black body will increase the chance of overheating, but using this camera as it should be used (ie. as a backup to your main setup) should cause no problems at all.

The memory cards were core micro class 6. Maybe that made a difference? Maybe the 5 second breaks were enough to keep it cool? Maybe the fact that is was on a tripod and not hand-held did the trick? Whatever the reason, it never even came close to overheating.
Sean Philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:50 AM   #30
Major Player

Sean, that's great to hear! I've been looking for a 'B' camera for my theater shoots, using an FX-1 as the continuous wide shot and I would love to be able to shoot an hour at a time. I could work with 5-10 second breaks...

If possible, I would like to be able to focus mid-stage and have a depth of field that would include both upstage and downstage movement. What lens(s) did you use and how was the DOF and focus?

Currently, I'm importing my HDV 1080i footage into a standard def timeline, using the larger frame for pan & scan 'close-ups'. The Rebel would probably slow down my editing but it would be an affordable option. Any other thoughts on your theater shoot experience would be nice.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD