Optura 300 various questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old July 24th, 2004, 05:59 AM   #1
Tourist

Optura 300 various questions

What kind of audio input does the Optura 300 have? I can't find this information listed anywhere. Is it 1/8", 1/4", XLR?

How does running external audio in on the 300 compare to the GL2 or the Xi?
Old July 24th, 2004, 07:51 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

<< What kind of audio input does the Optura 300 have? >>

Like all other camcorders in its class, the Optura 300 has a 1/8th-inch stero minijack.

<< How does running external audio in on the 300 compare to the GL2 or the Xi? >>

It's identical to the Xi except there's no Advanced Accessory Shoe, therefore you can't mount the optional DM-50 stereo mic.

On the GL2, each audio channel has its own discrete level control. On the 300 and Xi (and 500, 40 and 30) the audio channels are ganged together -- one level control affects both channels equally. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old July 24th, 2004, 05:07 PM   #3
Tourist

That helps a lot. Thank you very much!

I could run a mixer I already have to get two discrete channels (panning hard L+R).

Thanks again.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:09 PM   #4
Major Player

Optura 300 Vs. Optura Xi

First off let me say that i film all the time and have been for a while now. I'm really into the cameras and camcorders now and really would like to have a Gl1 or 2. but at my expensese i can only afford a optura.

I have just gotten the Optura 300 about 3 weeks ago, and yes i love it. But i feel like i want to get the Xi now... i have always used my friends GL or other bigger type cameras, so when i got the optura, sure i liked it for being small, but its almost to small to me.

i really don't like the man. focus on the 300 or how there is no acces. shoe.

Now i would really like like to sell my Optura 300 with best wide angle and biggest battery, and then go out and get the XI with the same.

But is it worth it? I have been trying to fiqure this out.

Ps. is there an handle that can be attached to the Xi? i know there is a JVC shaped the same as the XI that you can get one optional...

thanks! Pat.

Ps. my optura is FS in the FS threads
Old August 6th, 2004, 05:35 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

There is no such handle for the Xi. Moving from the 300 to the Xi will be a good step for you in my opinion.

Old August 6th, 2004, 08:40 PM   #6
Major Player

I'm very pleased with my XI. My boss, who has shot beta for 20 years, is also impressed. So much so that he is sending me on a company shoot tomorrow with my XI.

If you are handy with tools and a bit imaginative, you can make some stuff for your XI when you get it. I'v emade a decent shock mount for it. You can see it at http://www.daveperry.net/xi/.
Old August 11th, 2004, 12:27 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Optura 300 vs. Sony DCR-PC109

Hi,

I'm in the market for a small camcorder and it seems to me that these two models best fit my needs, but I'm wondering if anyone has any comments to differentiate between the two? I know the Optura 300 has true widescreen (which is important to me) but I'm not really able to verify if the DCR-PC109 does. Anyone know? Any other issues that I should be aware of? Thanks

mg
Old August 12th, 2004, 10:48 PM   #8
Wrangler

I know the PC105 was one of the first Sony vertical MiniDV cams to boast a high quality 16:9 mode and I'm sure this has been carried over to its replacement. If the PC109 kept the 1/4.7" 1070k CCD/pixel arrangement of the PC105 then the Optura 300 will surely have a higher resolution widescreen mode. That and the Optura 300 also has the RGB filter to get as close to 3CCD performance as you can get from a single CCD.

You can read a review of the Optura 300 and PC105 by clicking here
Old August 14th, 2004, 12:41 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Optura 300

I have had the 300 for a few weeks. I could not wait to get it. I lost another friend as soon as it arrived. I actually brought it out to experiment with and ran out of batteries after taping the antics of myself and my idiot buddies. My buddy Roy walked up after the Optura battery ran out. I took one picture of him with the Canon A-70 in still mode. I had it in my pocket. I wish I took a video clip of him. He came to my house here that night and we had a lot of fun. We gave each other the usual hug as he departed. I got a call 3 days later that he died from a brain bleed that he ignored after getting hit by a car outside of a club in Sunset Park Brooklyn three weeks earlier. I cursed that small batery on the Optura. My fault. GET A BIGGER DAMN BATTERY!!!!

http://www.geocities.com/matchload.geo/CANONA70PICS.html
Old August 14th, 2004, 03:30 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Optura 300 vs 400 and 500

I just got an Optura 300. I see that I could have gotten a 400 for a little more. Maybe only 20 bucks more. I can't seem to see a difference between the 300 and the 400/500. The 400 and 500 seem to have a manual focus ring they mention at CanonUSA. Is there anything better that people know of with the 400 and 500 over the 300?
Old August 14th, 2004, 04:25 PM   #11
Major Player

yes- they letterbox the 16:9 image on the lcd rather than compressing it. There have been some posts here about direct to harddrive recording using the complete ccd with the 300 and another that it was impossible with the 400. I'd look into this and if that's important - keep it- if you want a correctly displayed image ,recording widescreen, then I'd see if you couldn't exchange. Since I don't personally own an optura , you might wait for more informed posts or do a search about these 2 aspects I mentioned.Hope this helps- kurth
Old August 18th, 2004, 02:08 PM   #12
Major Player

The XI is probably the best small form cam out there right now.

By the way, I am selling mine! ;-)

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30681

I especially like shooting 16x9 with the shutter set to 15. Tre chic.
Old August 25th, 2004, 06:29 PM   #13
Major Player

optura 300. help asap!!!

ok. im having problems with adjusting the exposure.

i press the exp on the bottom circle thing. and it blinks...

now i can only adjust it to negitive 11. and no higer then +-0.

i need to turn it up for my lower light shots but i cannot get ti to go any higher.

help is needed ! maybe a walk thru! i know i did it once befoe now i cannot do it... thanks in advance
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:07 PM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

Which program mode are you using?

Green Box, Auto, ...?

Old August 26th, 2004, 08:45 AM   #15
Regular Crew

It's probably because your Optura 30 can go no higher (brighter) than what it already is doing. If you're not shooting a high motion shot, try adjusting your shutter to let more light into your lens.

-KiN

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog