Optura 300 various questions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old August 26th, 2004, 01:57 PM   #16
Major Player

its not on the auto. and i don't ever klnow what shutters to use.

im having toruble with night/low light/fast moving objects.
Old September 20th, 2004, 10:43 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I'm actually downgrading from a GL2 to an XI... mostly because I haven't seen the justification, plus I'd like to help pay for a Canon 20D SLR!

I hope I can sell the GL2 by 9/30 to take advantage of the $200 rebates on the Xi.

I've used the Xi and it's a great little cam. Rebate makes it even more of a deal.
- Varizoom Stealth
Old September 24th, 2004, 09:29 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I’ve had my Xi since June, and have been very happy with it. To have this much resolution at such a low price point is pretty amazing. I shoot everything in 16/9 for my HDTV, and there’s a surprise waiting inside when you shoot in TV30 mode: 30 fps progressive scan! You’ll believe it when you see it.

Make sure you get a Neutral Density filter for shooting in bright light. The Xi’s ccd bleaches out very badly outdoors, and everything turns an ugly shade of green. Once you find the right setting though, it can look as good as anything I see on SD broadcast TV.

I use a monopod, and carry mine around like a walking stick. It also works pretty well if you close the pod up most of the way, so it looks like you are holding some kind of cool laser pistol. Also, the optical stabilizer in this thing is awesome. The sound quality with the built in mic is also surprisingly good. Much better than my older Sony cam, and you get manual level control. Keep in mind that if you buy an external mic, it has to have a built in self powered pre-amp, or the camera won’t recognize it.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 02:44 AM   #19
New Boot

Opptura 300-movies on SD card- .ASF instead of .MPEG4 ??? Please help

Hi,
I just bought my optura 300 (mvx10i), and I can't get my videos recorded on a SD memory card in MPEG4 format. Instead, I get it in ASF format.
What I'm doing wrong ?
Please help.

Marko
Old October 25th, 2004, 12:28 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Don't worry, you're not doing anything wrong. ASF is already in the MPEG 4 format. ASF is based on Microsoft's MPEG4 v3 codec which they used as a streaming format.
Old October 25th, 2004, 06:13 AM   #21
New Boot

Yes, I figured that out, after a few hours of internet search, but I still can't find solution for playing, or even better, converting ASF format. I can play the videos, but the sound is always missing. What softvare is awailable for converting ? I realised i need a special codec for sound, but I have trouble installing it, my XP refuse to do so. If you heve any suggestions...
Thx,
Marko
Old October 25th, 2004, 06:34 AM   #22
RED Code Chef

Well, ASF is another container format by Microsoft. It might be
MPEG4, but it doesn't have to be. But it appears yours is.

You can try the free www.virtualdub.org. That might
right the file and allow you to convert it to uncompressed.

Otherwise get a demo of the great editing application Vegas 5,
get it at: http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com.

It can read and edit ASF files on my system!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 25th, 2004, 08:17 AM   #23
New Boot

Thanks Rob.
Virtual dub can not handle asf files due to microsoft restriction, but i heared some older versions can.
I have vegas 4 and it too has problems playng audio stream in asf files. Still searching for a solution.
Old March 15th, 2005, 02:45 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Optura 30 vs Xi

Reading posts here, I'm envious of you Xi owners. Unfortunately, the $400 price difference was the determining factor. Seems to me that for $450, the Optura 30 is a lot of camera. I've only had it for a week, but the clips I've shot just playing around sure look good in my home theater.

The Optura 30 has no zebra pattern, no TV mode. I can set the shutter to 1/60. I can shoot in night mode and I can adjust the exposure a little. But that's about it.

Most of my filming will be outdoors, so perhaps some of the tweaking the Xi allows for won't matter too much?

My only complaint so far is a slight "over sharpness." You can't see it on a TV, but my screen is roughly 4 by 7 feet & obviously the least little flaw is going to be magnified. While this sharpness isn't as bad as the edge enhancement you see in some DVDs, it sure would be nice if it wasn't there. Any sugestions on how to minimize it?

As I said, for $450, the camera is a keeper. It is so cool to pull footage into Final Cut Express in 16:9. Now to build a water proof housing & put this baby to work!
Old March 15th, 2005, 04:57 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Congrats on your new camera, John. For a relatively low cost consumer camera, you’ve got something that is capable of taking fine video. To be realistic, you have to remember that you are trying to watch consumer SD resolution footage blown up to a huge size. I have a 38” HDTV at home, and believe me, even though the screen is much smaller than what you have, every edge and shortcoming of an SD video shows up with irritating detail. With a system like that, hopefully you are poised on the edge of your seat for future semi-affordable HD cams? :)

I would suggest a low to medium strength diffusion filter. The image will still look clean, but it will prevent those harsh video edges from kicking in. You may need to add some extra contrast in post after shooting in bright daylight with them. I would suggest a Cokin Diffuser 2, or a Tiffen Soft/FX3.

Also, if you are shooting outside in broad daylight, it is mandatory to use an ND filter, and watch your exposure levels carefully. Over-driven video will have all those nasty edge effects.
Old March 15th, 2005, 05:47 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Thanks Kevin. I do a lot of digital still photography & I've learned to keep the highlights from washing out. You can do a lot in Photoshop with a slightly under exposed imaged. But if you let the highlights get away from you, your options are limited. I imagine it's much the same with video.

I was watching a widescreen SD broadcast on PBS the other night and I didn't think it looked any better than what I captured with the Optura. HD material blows everything else away, of course, even including well mastered DVDs. But I'll have to leave HD to the pros for now.

I drive my projector with a HD cable box and a HTPC. As I expected, I get better resullts from the Optura by capturing the video into Final Cut & then using iDVD to build an image file. Then I use my Windows based HTPC to scale the video to the projector. This produces a much better picture than a direct S video connection from the Optura to the projector.

Question: Is it better to use a ND filter or can I get away with using the EV control? Or will I need to do both. Most of my work will be on the water in (hopefully) broad daylight -- although you can get some dramatic shots during a summer thunderstorm!
Old March 16th, 2005, 08:33 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Hi John, If you are shooting in open water on a sunny day, I would say it’s mandatory to use an ND filter. With that many photons roaring into the front of the lens, there is no way the cameras internal circuitry can knock it down far enough to prevent blowouts. Also, you don’t want the iris to be closed down so far that you’re not taking advantage of the lens. I’m no expert at this, but I would use a circular polarizer, and an ND 4. The polarizer will work great on the water, and give you nice deep blue skies as well.

I’ve done a lot of comparative test shots, and I’ve gotten very good results this way. The nice thing is that these filters are so cheap, but they can make it look like you used twice the camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog