Optura Xi various questions - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old June 5th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #136
Regular Crew

Okay Tim, I have e-mailed you.
Old December 9th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #137
New Boot

Canon HV10 vs. Optura Pi and Optura Xi?

I posted this to another site, but got no response, so I thought I would try here, as I *think* there are some former Optura Pi or Optura Xi users here (Dan Keaton?). :)

Does anyone who has the HV10 have any previous experience with the Optura Pi or Optura Xi? I've had both of the Opturas and found that the older Pi had better low light performance. I was wondering how the HV10's low light performance is versus the others.

Also, will the HV10's BP-310 and BP-315 batteries fit and charge okay in a charger for a BP-511 and BP-522 (I have a charger for these that I use for my Optura Xi and G6)?

I have quite a few Sony DVM60PR2 tapes left; if I do get the HV10, will I be able to use them in it, or should I get another tape to use? If the latter, which tapes (and online source) do you recommend?

Thanks!

Jim
Old April 5th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #138
Regular Crew

Canon Optura Xi 3CCD Issues

I recently tried to play back 3CCD video on my Optura Xi, but it didn't work. The audio and video was messed up but I don't know why. The video was shot using a Panasonic consumer camera. I was able to borrow the original camera, but I still want to know why it didn't work.
Old April 5th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #139
Obstreperous Rex

It is not at all uncommon to experience difficulties in tape playback between different makes of camcorders. Plus, it's possible that throughout its earlier usage, the Optura has been profiled for a particular tape brand. Inserting another tape of a brand that it's not used to, can frequently result in playback problems. It's usually best to play a tape back from the camera on which it was shot, or another cameera of the same make, or a camera used to the same brand of tape.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old April 8th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #140
Regular Crew

XLR Mics on an Optura Xi

I am considering buying the following for my Optura Xi:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=367747&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=423360&is=REG

My question is will this adapter provide phantom power or will I have to use batteries? The shotgun microphone supports both, but it would be nicer to have it phantom powered. I am going to buy an XH A1 around February 2008, so I will have XLRs with phantom power then.
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #141
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Royer View Post
My question is will this adapter provide phantom power or will I have to use batteries?
You will have to use batteries. There isn't 48v of power coming through the miniplug on your camera, it's more like 5v.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

The Beachtek DXA-6 is an XLR adapter that uses a 9 volt battery for phantom powering. That's the only adapter I know of that supplies phantom power. I agree phantom power is a lot better than a battery. I've forgotten to turn mics on or off, and end up with no audio because of dead batteries or because it isn't on. I have the NTG-1 and I love it, so I think you will be happy with the NTG-2.
Old April 9th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #142
Regular Crew

I think it's okay if I use batteries. I'll only be using this for about a year before I buy the A1, so it's okay if it doesn't work without batteries. I would rather save $250 so I can buy the new camera faster.
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #143
Regular Crew

I used the same kind of tapes as usual (sony) and it didn't work. I think that the problem is that the cameras are from different companies. If I use an Xl2 or Gl2, would I be able to play back?
Old January 1st, 2008, 03:29 PM   #144
New Boot

I'm bringing back the life of this thread, haha. I've recently been saving up for a purchase of the DVX100B. I'm still young, and it occurred to me that my dreams may be a bit unrealistic. I still am saving up for it, and I'd hope to have it maybe a little bit later or rather a lot later than what I have been expecting. I have barely been making movies, and already I want such a brilliant camera. I've finally realized that I could be doing so much more with my Optura XI.

What I am looking for is some accessories to enhance my XI. So I am on the look out for some Shotgun Mic's, hopefully something easy to conveniently attach onto the hotshoe. My budget is limited, and hopefully something cheap that'll work will do.

I've been looking at the Azden ECZ-990. Can anybody tell me their experience with it? Or can anybody recommend it for me? I hear it is pretty cheap and it does a pretty good job for being less than a 100 bucks.

Maybe possibly even the MKE-300? Same with above, any recommendations?

Also, I'm trying to achieve the more "movie" look. So hopefully, I want to get some kind of lens/adapter, to achieve a more depth.
Old March 8th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #145
Regular Crew

Brandon,
I used the Optura Xi for a few years (2004-2006) before upgrading to an XL2. For accessories, you will definitely want to get a good tripod and a shotgun mic.

I would recommend getting a Rode NTG-2 because it has battery power available so you can put in a AA and get a cheap adaptor instead of buying a $250 adaptor with built-in phantom power. Buy a Manfrotto fluid head tripod of some type.

A DOF adapter is not really an option for the Optura Xi without spending several thousand.

You may also want to consider upgrading to a GL2. B&H has a sale going on now ($150 off), so they are $1800 new and about $1400 used. That may be a better option that you could use instead of waiting a long time to get the DVX100.
Old March 9th, 2008, 01:32 AM   #146
Major Player

Hey Brandon,
not sure what your priorities are, but the 16:9 native Xi is a lot of fun. In full daylight, I used it along side the GL2. Neither were worth anything in low light.

Have you considered an HV20? It shoots native 16:9, both DV and HDV. For making movies, there's nothing comparable in its price range, or even adding $1500, to the images achieved in 24P Cine mode. In low light it's pretty darn good as well. Once you get your bank account filled, you'll probably be looking at an AH1 or similar, in which case you could use the HV20 as a deck.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog