Optura Xi various questions - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old March 11th, 2005, 11:57 AM   #46
MicroDolly Hollywood

We've got the lightest, most portable dolly kit on the market, but at a "VERY limited budget", I'm not sure. Your best bet might be to make your own.
Old March 14th, 2005, 11:46 PM   #47
New Boot

Ughhh..... Xi quit working while Vacationing :(

Wouldn't you know it.... 8 Day Mexican Riviera Cruise and half way into it, My Xi quit working.. I was on a beach in Zihuatanejo filmed a little bit of the kids playing in the sand... put the camcorder back in the bag and a short while later (15min) took it out, turned the power on and there was no red light.... My battery life was about at the half mark prior to my switching the power back on.... However I did try my other fully charged battery.... No luck.... I knew something was seriously wrong... Once I returned to the ship, I charged my 2 batteries again (with an external charger) and attached one to the camcorder... No luck.

I filmed about 70 minutes on the trip, prior to the camcorder breaking down.

I was wondering if anyone had had a similar problem with the Xi just not powering on?

BTW, I did plug the Xi into the AC adapter once I returned home... Still no workie... And for what's it's worth, I had the DM-50 connected to the shoe when it pooped out.

Off to the repair shop... Glad I bought the extended warranty, but I never feel the same way about things that have been repaired.
Old March 15th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #48
Wrangler

Sorry to hear about your Xi. At least you got to "vacation" instead of working behind the camera.

How old is the camcorder? Can it still be exchanged for a new one?
Old March 15th, 2005, 04:31 PM   #49
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Wisniewski : Sorry to hear about your Xi. At least you got to "vacation" instead of working behind the camera.

How old is the camcorder? Can it still be exchanged for a new one? -->>>
I've had it for little over a year now... You're right about enjoying the vacation, rather than watching it thru the LCD... Makes me wonder if my wife had something to do with it :)

Called the Service Center to get authorization to have it repaired. Not as easy as I thought... for some reason, they only showed me purchasing the camcorder for $.99... They won't authorize the repair until Ultimate Electronics confirms the correct purchased price.

I'm curious to find out what went wrong.
Old March 17th, 2005, 10:54 AM   #50
Regular Crew

Yet another Optura XI question:

I don't expect ever have need for the software bundled w/ the XI. I use a card reader to d/load images, Adobe Premiere to import the video, and my own image management system.

Am I correct in assuming that there's no need to eve crack the seal on the Canon software that's included in the package?

Running WinXP Pro on a relatively new Dell box.

Thanks.
Old March 17th, 2005, 12:52 PM   #51
Obstreperous Rex

That's right. Leave it sealed. When it comes time to sell your camera, you'll be able to offer the unopened software with the package, possibly increasing its value.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old March 17th, 2005, 09:05 PM   #52
Regular Crew

>> That's right. Leave it sealed. When it comes time to sell your camera... <<

Chris--

SELL my camera?! <g>

But seriously, I tend to pass things on to friends/family. In fact I just gave my old faithful Olympus 2500L digi with it's whopping 2.5 Mg pixel images to my niece. She was excited as she didn't have a digital camera at all, and I haven't used it in a long time. Hard to believe I paid over a grand for it-- way back when.

But I digress... thanks much for confirming my expectations re. the bundled software.

Tim
Old March 28th, 2005, 06:00 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Wide Angle Attatchment for XI

Hi,

I was wondering what the best wide angle lens would be for my Optura XI. I will be using my camera for school film club, and want my films to look as cinematic as possible. So, with that said, I would love to hear from knowledgable people from this forums.

thanks
Old March 28th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #54
Wrangler

Check out the Canon WD-H46 or the Raynox DCR-6600PRO. Both are good wide angle lenses.

The main difference is the Canon doesn't have an outside filter thread, so you'll have to sandwich the filters between the camcorder and lens. The Raynox has an external filter thread.

Another option for a wide angle with filters, is to use Cinetactics MatteBlox.
Old March 28th, 2005, 08:33 PM   #55
Regular Crew

It says the Raynox has a 52mm mounting thread, so does that mean i would need a step up ring of some sort? The XI's threads are 46.
Old March 28th, 2005, 10:31 PM   #56
Wrangler

Yes, you'll need a step up ring for the Raynox lens.
Old March 29th, 2005, 06:41 PM   #57
Regular Crew

Tripod for XI

What would be the cheapest and best tripod for XI?

3 way pan, quick release maybe fluid head.
Old March 30th, 2005, 07:12 PM   #58
Regular Crew

I love the Raynox on my Optura. Cheaper than the canon lens and the front threads are great for mounting the UV filter.

https://webspace.utexas.edu/rjs539/w...0Raynox%20Lens

A pic of the lens on my camera.
Old March 30th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #59
Obstreperous Rex

"Cheapest" and "best" are mutually exclusive terms. If it's cheapest, it won't be best. If it's best, it won't be cheapest. Establish what you're willing to spend, and then please refer to our "Support Your Local Camera" forum for all questions relating to tripods. Thanks.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old March 30th, 2005, 08:46 PM   #60
Regular Crew

I meant to say best among the cheapest.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog