Optura Xi various questions - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old May 16th, 2005, 07:31 AM   #76
Tourist

Original Optura equivalent / replacement

I've lost my Optura due to a fire and now I am looking for a equivalent camera to replace it. Need information for insurance company.

Any ideas?

some of the more salient features were:

optical stabilization
progressive scan 30p
lanc port

Thanks!
Old May 16th, 2005, 08:16 AM   #77
Skyonic New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Markin

optical stabilization
progressive scan 30p
lanc port
the only camera that has all three is the xl2, the dvx does not have a lanc port, and the optura line only has OIS...
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:44 AM   #78
Tourist

xl2

only problem with the xl2 is the cost associated with it. I'm pretty certain that my insurance company would not accept this claim (as much as I would like it).

I've been given some other models such as the GL2, Optura 50 and 60.

I'm not hogtied to just the Canon line either. I've looked at the Panasonic GS250 (sans progressive scan).

I guess the original Optura was pretty unique for it's time.
Old May 17th, 2005, 09:29 AM   #79
New Boot

xi?

I think Canon will come up with a model to replace the Optura xi. Maybe you can afford to wait for it?
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #80
New Boot

Well..... 2 months later, I now have my Xi back :)

The service center sent it to Canon for repair. Their resolution summary: Factory Replaced Main PCB, Cleaned, & Tested.

I'd imagine this was a costly repair. I purchased the extended warranty and was covered. I sometimes wonder if I had been better off not purchasing the warranty and sending the Xi off to Canon myself? I'm sure the price would've been more than what I paid for the warranty, but the 2 month downtime hurt.

I planned on purchasing the Optura 50/60, (as a loaner & returning it when the Xi was repaired) from the same company. A week after i submitted my Xi, I was notified that the company was closing down their stores here in Utah. So I didn't go that route.

Anyhow, I'm happy to have it back. Hopefully it works out. I'm going to disconnect the DM-50 whenever it's not in use. For some odd reason, I think it may have fried the board.

I will say that I was happy that Canon did the repair.

We'll see how it goes!
Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:24 PM   #81
Regular Crew

Wide Angle for Optura Xi

Hi,

I am trying to obtain a wide angle adapter for my Xi, and I am looking for an adapter that will allow the footage to look as close to film as possibly can (super wide). I am going to use the adapter with the 16:9 mode on the camera.

is there a good apapter which i can use?

thanks
Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:21 PM   #82
Wrangler

Century Optics makes 16:9 wide angle adapters. They'll give you the super wide 2.35:1 ratio you're looking for.

These are the screw-on adapters:
- 37mm (click here)
- 58mm (click here)
Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:55 PM   #83
Regular Crew

I like the century optics one, but the Xi has a 46mm thread, so how will I be able to use this?
Old May 23rd, 2005, 06:03 PM   #84
Wrangler

For the screw on adapters you'll need one of these:

- 46mm-37mm step down ring (click here)
- 46mm-58mm step up ring. (click here)
Old May 30th, 2005, 11:23 PM   #85
Regular Crew

XI compares with 3ccd?

I was just wondering if the XI compares closely to a 3ccd prosumer camera such as the pvdv953 trv950 etc. I know its got a 1/3.4 huge ccd with RGB color filter but will that cut the cheese? Because Im going to be using this camera for some green screening work etc. Thanks guys
Old May 31st, 2005, 12:38 AM   #86
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Petersen
I was just wondering if the XI compares closely to a 3ccd prosumer camera such as the pvdv953 trv950 etc. I know its got a 1/3.4 huge ccd with RGB color filter but will that cut the cheese? Because Im going to be using this camera for some green screening work etc. Thanks guys
Hi Nathan, take a look at my web site's Green Screen DV and chromakey tutorials for examples of what can be accomplished with an old original Elura, green poster paper, one light bulb and some star wars toys.

In short, yes, the Optura Xi should work well for green screen. Your software's capability to work with 4:1:1 compressed DV video will be the deciding factor.

Philip Williams
www.philipwilliams.com
Old May 31st, 2005, 12:46 AM   #87
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Philip, wow that's really impressive for using that camcorder. I am going to be using Adobe Premiere Pro to edit the video. Also, I am going to be filming outside and would really like to add a lens hood to the XI. Tell me if I am wrong with this (sorry if newb question): The Canon Optura XI has a 46mm filter diameter and I am going to get a 43mm thread DV lens hood. So I will need a 46mm to 43mm adapter ring right? I screw the adapter ring to 46mm diameter filter and then screw the lens hood onto the other end of the adapter ring that is 43mm. Sorry about a pretty stupid question, just wondering If I got it right.
Old May 31st, 2005, 10:53 AM   #88
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Petersen
Thanks for the reply Philip, wow that's really impressive for using that camcorder. I am going to be using Adobe Premiere Pro to edit the video. Also, I am going to be filming outside and would really like to add a lens hood to the XI. Tell me if I am wrong with this (sorry if newb question): The Canon Optura XI has a 46mm filter diameter and I am going to get a 43mm thread DV lens hood. So I will need a 46mm to 43mm adapter ring right? I screw the adapter ring to 46mm diameter filter and then screw the lens hood onto the other end of the adapter ring that is 43mm. Sorry about a pretty stupid question, just wondering If I got it right.
Generally I don't think using step-down rings is a good idea. If you shoot with your lens at the widest setting you'll almost certainly get the ring into your shot. Stick with 46mm or larger accessories.

As for Premiere, hopefully they've improved the keyer to work with DV footage. I recall the older versions really had a problem with the 4:1:1 color sampling and you'd get nice chunky squares at the edges of the mask. Again, hopefully this won't happen in the new version.

Good luck,
Philip Williams
www.philipwilliams.com
Old May 31st, 2005, 01:33 PM   #89
Regular Crew

do you know of any lens hoods that work with 46mm filter threads? Thanks
Old June 1st, 2005, 01:42 PM   #90
Regular Crew

lens hood on Optura XI (help)

I was just wondering if anyone has tried using the gl2 lens hood on the optura xi? I know I need a 46mm to 58mm step up ring, but thats no problem. I dont really want to use a step down ring because It might get in my shots. I know it would get the job done, but would it look good?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog