An HDV GL3 more possible now? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 11th, 2006, 08:36 AM   #16
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
Not just tempting: I already have two FX1s and am debating parting with all of my Canon gear. . . . .

I would have rather had a Canon GL3 shooting HDV with a nice 20X zoom lens, but Canon was giving no hint of their plans at the time I started moving to Sony, and I can't wait forever.
Kevin - exactly! You can't wait forever? Neither can I! More to the point neither will my Clients who presently may NOT have HD abilities but WILL want HD compliant future-proofing.

Andrew - I wouldn't bet the farm, or any blade of grass, on it pal! Maybe June 2007 in the US and then late '07 in Europe. Tell you what though, I'd dearly love to eat my hat over this.

But what do I know?

Grazie

. . Mr Canon? I wanna XM3HD with 20x and native 16:9 and XLRs.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #17
Major Player

I'm still thinking it's likely to happen (maybe I'm just optimistic). The Gl3 is 3 years old now? I would think Canon would be eager to replace it, especially with so much competition from other manufacturers.

The XL-H1 release shouldn't have anything to do with a GL series HD cam because the price would be much less, so I don't think that's a reason to not release once sooner.

But just like others, I can't wait forever - if June comes around and I need a camera, I'll probably be considering a different camera.

My vote is in - come on Canon, give us a GL3HD with 20x lens, 16:9 sensors, XLRs and while you're at it, throw in 24p.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #18
Major Player

Basically a Canon GL-H1 with 24F and XLR inputs would be everything people really wanted from the Sony HDR-FX1, with the exception of non-resolution compromized 24p.

Does anyone know how much it costs to put the HD-SDI on a camera?

-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #19
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven White
Basically a Canon GL-H1 with 24F and XLR inputs would be everything people really wanted from the Sony HDR-FX1, . .
-Steve
So we shouldn't be so naive? Yes? Is that right? As SONY have their Z .. is that it? OK . . well maybe Canon could just wave a couple of digits at them! Yah never knows! Pigs might fly? Genetic engineering and all that?

Quote:

-Steve
Do you? Do you know? Ah, go on now . . give us a clue? You knows you want to? I bet it is a humongous, filthy, disgusting, outrageous amount . . Tell you what though? . . I don't know. Mind you, I don't know how much it costs to make a camera SD.

Grazie
Old January 11th, 2006, 10:53 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Not that much, at least when compared to the other HD upgrade costs, particularly the glass. The price is a major concern, considering they practically doubled the price between an XL2 to an H1, there's a high probability that we'll see the same course of action with the GL series.
Price could be around 5 grand, even though in IMO, it shouldn't be priced above 4 grand.
Jacob Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 10:55 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Basically a Canon GL-H1 with 24F and XLR inputs would be everything people really wanted from the Sony HDR-FX1, with the exception of non-resolution compromized 24p.
As far as the FX1 is concerned, all it's missing for my purposes is a better zoom range and maybe slightly better low-light performance. What you described would be an alternative to the Z1U at (presumably) a comparable price, which costs enough more than an FX1 to be a problem. Give me an HDV version of the GL2 in a black housing for under $3000 and that'd be fine with me. I could use one more HDV camera to complement the FX1s...
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #22
Old Boot

. .and yet ANOTHER "budget-end" SONY HD camcorder . .

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...er-HDR-HC3.htm

Mr Canon! Please drop the other shoe. GL3/XM3 HD . . .

Tick tock . . Tick Tock . . .

Grazie
Old January 31st, 2006, 09:01 AM   #23
Major Player

It sure is taking Canon a long time!! I'm sure it's not that big of a deal to put a GL3 HDV together! It's not going to hurt the sales of the H1 because not everone can come up with $9,000.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #24
Inner Circle

I saw a picture of the prototype on the web last year. Unfortunately I didn't bookmark it, maybe I posted it in news, but don't remember.

Anyway big ugly silvery looking thing (like those Panasonic prototype pictures posted in the news forum last month). Don't know how big it really was, but sort of had that impression (sound like Fry off of Futurama now :( ). I think the silver thing is just to hide the colour scheme. Slightly similar concept to the present (which is cool). So I too, imagine it aren't to far away (like upto Christmas).
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #25
Major Player

My guess is a GL3 with HDV/DV 24F this spring. It would be a good move by canon if it was $3,000 or under. I think there is a big market for a camera that can do HDV and DV with native 16:9. HDV/HD is on the way but I think there is a big market for people with widescreen TVs who would like to watch anything wide. Not stretched, or letterboxed but the real thing.

The Sony A1U is ok, but kind of small in my hands. I would also like the 24P or whatever Canon is using just incase.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:18 PM   #26
Major Player

I don't know if anyone's noticed, but this is a line from the generic camcorder FAQ on canondv.com:
"What is required to download high definition video from my HDV Camcorder to my computer running Windows XP?"

That's right from the consumer FAQ along with MiniDV and DVD items. They're getting close...

www.philipwilliams.com
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 12:06 AM   #27
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Williams
That's right from the consumer FAQ along with MiniDV and DVD items. They're getting close...

Yeah well, Peter, Canon DO have the very non-consumer priced XL H1. I suppose they WOULD have to respond to somebody asking that question of a $10k machine? - "I bought this machine, how do I get what I shot onto my PC?" - I bet they get asked this question ALL the time by this profile of buyer.

Nah, Peter, it's those buyers, not the consumer end. They will need ALL the help they can get.

Grazie
Old February 24th, 2006, 08:04 AM   #28
Major Player

GL3 ? Not before this fall.

Someone from Canon in France told me yesterday that they have not plan for an immediate release for a GL3/XM3. Canon's strategy seem to wait in order to see what happens now there are so much low budget HDV cameras on the market. They have the hi-end one (XL-H1) and Sony has the cheapers (HC1 and HC3 soon) and the "middle ones" (FX1 & Z1). So no need for an intermediate camera for the moment if they are not able to offer some key features at a low price.
Of course I explained this guy that we need a GL camera with a 20x zoom, for wildlife fiming for instance, with a true progressive mode. He just told me "well, we'll see... maybe during the second semester"...
Old February 24th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #29
Major Player

I would think with so many other prosumer hd cameras out there, Canon would already have a good idea of what's working for people and what isn't and therefore, would want to add their own so they don't lose sales in that area - not everyone (myself included) can pay for an XL-H1 at the moment and therefore, we're going to others for our needs.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 10:20 AM   #30
Major Player

the key phrase in what canon france said, "no plan for an immediate release" I guess you could say then they have a plan for a release, just not immediatly. That could be in a few weeks. Months. But it's not a no plan at all. You never know what a canon person will tell you. I got a e-mail once telling me that Canon wasn't going to do the HDV. Then looked what they did!
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders