An HDV GL3 more possible now? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 7th, 2006, 04:23 AM   #1
Major Player

An HDV GL3 more possible now?

I'm posting this here because you are the guys that have used the H1, so I figured you could pass the best judgement.

Based on your experiences using the H1 does a GL3(GLH1?) seem more realistic now?

You know because you guys have worked with 24f, the hdv codec, the colors and whatever else.

I'm just curious if now that the XLH1 is out if the a GL3(GLH1) is really a realistic option. Before the H1 handn't been released but now that is has would a 20x Zoom, HDV, probably non xlr, 24f, GL-type model for what I figure would be around a Z1u's price seem likely at all?

Now that the XL H1 is out can that really be squeezed into a next generation GL(GLH) body or is that just mechanically impossible or unlikely?
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 04:36 AM   #2
Major Player

yes

Last month, a Canon representative in Europe told me that Canon will apply exactly the same strategy as they did with the issue of the XL1 and the GL1, when I asked him about a "GL3". He can't say me more, of course.

Does anyone remember how many months have slipt by between the issue of the XL1 and the GL1 ?
Old January 7th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #3
Major Player

If it has XLRs it will be a VERY interesting camera!
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Canon must work with Panasonic to squeeze the 24p circuitry into a GL3(GLH1), until that's done, There would be no 24p on the GL3(GLH1)
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #5
Major Player

why does canon need Panasonic?

Last edited by Bob Zimmerman; January 7th, 2006 at 06:20 PM.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #6
Inner Circle

^Panasonic provides the 24p and 30p chipsets for Canon. (at least I heard someone said that.)
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 04:56 AM   #7
Major Player

There is no such thing as 24p and 30p chipsets. You have the CCD chipset, the processor chipset, etc. No need to work with Panasonic or anyone on 24p. Sony put 24p into CineAlta's interlaced recording before Panasonic did it in their DVX.

What I would like to see is for Canon to make their own CMOS chips for the new cameras. They make their own CMOS. If Sony can make CMOS camcorder chips, Canon should be able to do the same.

Canon does not make CCD's though and buys them from Panasonic and Sony, I think.

Besides Sony, JVC and Canon, no one seems to be too excited about HDV. Blu-Ray introduction is around the corner and it has at least the same bit rate, no dropouts, etc. I think that Blu-Ray cameras will be introduced this year by Panasonic, Sony, and Canon and will eventualy replace HDV.
Petr Marusek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 01:51 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Canon shouldn't have a problem creating cmos chips using their existing cmos production facilities that they currently use to manufacture their dslr chips. granted it would also be a higher chip-per-wafer ratio, making it cheaper.

the problem would be in making the cmos chips fast enough to capture hd. currently, they're capturing 2336p at 8.5 fps. now if they could just capture 1080p at any fps up to 60...

with the introduction of the sanyo consumer hd camera (or still camera with hd, if you like), i'd like to see more consumers asking themselves "if i have an hdtv, why can't i make my own hd material?" ive had alot of wows from dad's when they ask about my sony hc1, so i'd expect the market would be pretty big.

i believe blu-ray is just taking the stage this year because of the impending (or present?) war between them and the hd dvd camp.
R.P. Cuenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 05:26 AM   #9
Outer Circle

Evan, everything is going HDV. So Canon will bring out a G2-sized HDV cam to compete with Sony's small HDV cams.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #10
Major Player

is there a chance Canon will be introducing an SD successor to the GL-2, or will they just go directly to an HD update - what are everyone's thoughts on that?
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #11
Trustee

Canon's representatives said, at the XL2 lauch, that it was the last SD cam they will produce.
Old January 10th, 2006, 11:38 PM   #12
Major Player

Well I hope it comes within the year even though that's probably extremely whishful thinking considering they just got the H1 out the door.

I also pray it keeps 24f when it drops.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 01:09 AM   #13
Old Boot

Jean-Philippe, oh yes indeed!

And that was how long ago? And even then they must have been, and again for sometime, been sticking on the HD logos on the latest version. Who's gonna tell us that at that time they weren't also wrapping up an XM3HD?

. .and yes the clock IS ticking, Mr Canon. Sony has their lower budget HD CMOS.

Surely Sony's F1 has to be tempting/tempted exsisting GL/XM-2 owners?

"Show us the Money! Show us the money!"

. . tick tock . . tick tock . . . tick tock . .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard
Surely Sony's F1 has to be tempting/tempted exsisting GL/XM-2 owners?
Not just tempting: I already have two FX1s and am debating parting with all of my Canon gear. The FX1 puts the Canon GL1/GL2 to shame in terms of image quality, plus it looks more professional and has a wider selection of control features. I'm surprised that no one has released anything to compete with the FX1, which is arguably the most amazing value in a prosumer camcorder ever. Not perfect, but an impressive camera for the price.

I would have rather had a Canon GL3 shooting HDV with a nice 20X zoom lens, but Canon was giving no hint of their plans at the time I started moving to Sony, and I can't wait forever.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #15
Major Player

I'm also hoping to have it this year - I'd like to actually own one by the end of June so I can use it for work in the summer. I'm thinking they would release it PMA or NAB this year, which means my dream of owning it by June could be a reality.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders