Canon XH series -- various sample clips - Page 16 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 6th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #226
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Weiss View Post
They aren't vibing too well with the ye olde barbarian swordsman..unless of course your project is entitled "Barbarian Timeshare"...which would be awesome. The possibilities are endless.
lmao!

i know one word replies aren't very useful, but i can't help myself... amidst all the techie talk here i got a good chuckle
Brian Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 12:25 AM   #227
New Boot

First Post to the Board (Finally)

So, here's the first in a long line to come. I've included a media fire link as well as a youtube link. feel free to comment here or on youtube. The mediafire link will be much better quality, and it is only 16 megs.

Let me know!

"The Traveler"
What is real? What isn't real? Where does the world behind the camera become the world in front of the camera?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNXhPl0EPeo

http://www.mediafire.com/?3251rgpbvm0
Ben Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 01:04 AM   #228
Old Boot

Ben! Great stuff!

Liked your use of the colour-ways: Beach>Darks>Leaves

Didn't like the mugging jump cut.

Liked the envelope hand-over.

Didn't like the low mic level "chat" on the beach. Do we hear or don't we hear?

Liked the music.

LIKED the dolly-work? Was that a dolly?

Didn't like the too sharp initial move.

Didn't like the non-continuity of the one-handed Mobile phone and the two hand-Laptop user.

LOVED the silhouette against the LEAVES! Great choice!!

Kinda needed a real snappy cut to man-in-street-scape mobile. Happened too late?

But yes, very funny punchline!
Great simple story of a suspension of belief in time/space - liked it!!

More please!!!

Grazie

Last edited by Graham Bernard; November 9th, 2007 at 01:06 AM. Reason: silly syntax!
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 01:17 AM   #229
New Boot

No Dolly

Actually, my brother has a scion, which has a hatchback, so I laid in the back of the car and held the camera sideways, as low to the ground, and as steady as possible. Half my body was in the car, and the other half was out. And I noticed the two-handed thing too, it's just been cloudy the last four days in LA and I gave up waiting for it!

Thanks for the advice too! It's so nice to be able to have a fresh eye on things. I can't thank this board enough for that.
Ben Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #230
Trustee

Hi Roger,

I've been getting into doing more of these types of projects, dance shows, plays, etc. with dark surroundings and bright, quickly changing lighting. I shoot using a slighly tweeked VividRGB (lower the red gain slightly) and try to go with full manual. On the white balance if you can get into the sight early during the tech call you can have the lighting tech turn down the house lights and turn stage lights to typical white spots. Then use the white manual white balance shooting at a white page. I've also use auto exposure when I know the action is going to be crazy and the lighting will have extreme changes at very high rates. In those cases I usually use a small negative AE shift which seems to help keep the brights from getting blown out. Then in post I really monitor the luma levels to make sure they stay within broadcast limits.

Another hint I found to be really usefull is if you are using manual iris don't go below the max f stop at your most extreme zoom. In other words, at full zoom the lense will only go to F 3.5 but when in wide it will go to f 1.6. I you set at f 1.6 when widen then start to zoom you'll notice you loose a few stops.

As far as gain the lower the better but I have had to shoot with as much as +6. I find going up to +3 doesn't yield totally objectionable results and it's always better to get good brightness and contrast and sacrafice alittle noise and grain. And, I find that if you're going to downconvert to SD it almost becomes unnoticeable.

Another really usefull thing is to go to a dress rehearsal and shoot tons of test footage making slight variatons in your settings. Make sure you record the timecode and what changes you made so you can go back and view which setting yields the best results. I'm a believer that my camera work should be tansparent. The lighting director had a vision in mind when they set up the show and I want to try to capture as much of that as possible. That means that I try to make as little adjustments to picture settings as possible once the performance starts.
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #231
New Boot

Powder

http://ia360613.us.archive.org/1/ite...05/powder2.wmv

right click, save as...file is large

Well I just bought my A1 recently and finally found sometime to go and shoot in the backyard. Take a look, any criticisms are welcome. Keep in mind that this is the first time I have ever had a camera to myself to shoot my own personal stuff.
Danny Hensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #232
Regular Crew

Look good, and congrats on get the XH A1.

The only thing is some of the shoots look slightly out of focus. You must be using the Auto Focus on some shots too because as your hand shakes it focuses on different points. The shot of the shed looked good, and the shot of the tree and dog look good also. There was one shot in the beginning where the dog is walking down the stairs and the wood look a little weird / noises / washed out.

Overall its looks good, but slightly bland color wise and noisy. Keep messing with and im sure you will get it right.

What were you export settings? The file was really big.
Alessandro Garabaghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #233
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Garabaghi View Post
Look good, and congrats on get the XH A1.

The only thing is some of the shoots look slightly out of focus. You must be using the Auto Focus on some shots too because as your hand shakes it focuses on different points. The shot of the shed looked good, and the shot of the tree and dog look good also. There was one shot in the beginning where the dog is walking down the stairs and the wood look a little weird / noises / washed out.

Overall its looks good, but slightly bland color wise and noisy. Keep messing with and im sure you will get it right.

What were you export settings? The file was really big.
I just exported as a wmv 6.7mbps 1080i

do you have any suggestions in that area?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it
Old November 30th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #234
Regular Crew

well, im still learning the exporting game my self, but here is one i found thats is good for the web.

Video:
H.264, 3mbit max, 3mbit target, 2pass VBR, 480 x 270, 29.97fps (or w/e ur timeline is in),

Audio:
AAC, 160kbps, 48hz, stereo

Got about 1min 12secs of HDV footage to about 28megs.
Alessandro Garabaghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #235
New Boot

well I tried that setting, but it made a few things look a little off...I'll keep working at it though

Thanks again Alessandro
Old December 3rd, 2007, 12:19 PM   #236
Regular Crew

On location A1 w/ Lowel lights

My newest sketch:

www.eldersofthedarktower.com

warning: not safe for work
Steve Yager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #237
Regular Crew

Short PSA with XH-A1

Here's my first video I'm posting that I shot with my A1. Just looking for some feedback... I did this drug PSA for a class.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?cqzddxjbltg
Bryce Olejniczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #238
Regular Crew

wow.............
Brent Goodale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 04:01 AM   #239
Regular Crew

lmao! That was funny as hell. I love how the animated dude sounds like Towliee from South Park. lol.
Jerrod Cordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 05:43 AM   #240
Regular Crew

Very funny stuff bro. Clever. Easily could be an SNL skit; one of the better ones. This is just a personal thing here: didn't need so much swearing; but apart from that, very humorous. Good idea, great timing, great acting.
Todd Smaretsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders