CineForm and Premiere Pro CS3 / After Effects - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 7th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #76
Trustee

I'll give that a try.
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #77
Trustee

Still title, time remapped and some opacity, over cineform clip with two dissolves. The processors spike 100% and things stutter. What are you getting?
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #78
Major Player

Same plus mem errors
Salah Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #79
Trustee

So, I downloaded the vegas 7.0 trial... what? C'mon, work with me will ya?

I then loaded two identical 2500px size images into both Vegas and PPro3, add a simple transition and render the 10 second timeline to CFHD high quality, with 444 nicety. Both apps rendered their respective timelines in one minute. (So, render speed is not an issue. If I want something faster, I'd have to get a faster PC. However, stability is the issue). But something is different between the two. Vegas is using only 35% of the processors until it hits the dissolve, uses 100%, then back to 35%. Vegas also uses 1.02GB of RAM. PPro3 is using 75%, hits the trans, 100%, things stutter on the PC, goes back to 75% after the transition. It's using 1.75GB RAM. Then it gives me a low memory warning error. What's the problem? PPro3 is dipping into virtual memory? While Vegas is staying well below the 2.0GB ram. (I have 3GB ram, but not switched).

Hmmm.
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #80
Regular Crew

Talking about Vegas (sorry guys!) - but I just HAD to try this...

Exported an AAF file for my 85 min movie from PPRO CS3 project (40hrs, 1TB of CFHD avi footage - thousands of cuts, plenty of effects applied).

Imported into Vegas... and it kinda worked!! Very surprised - I haven't done any testing - it looks like a mess... but Vegas projects look messy at the best of times to a Premiere user ;)

I 'might' be tempted to finish the video edit on Premiere and then AAF it over to Vegas for the 5.1 audio edit - as an old Sony Acid user, I much prefer their handling of audio to Adobe's.
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:36 AM   #81
Trustee

That's the cool feature about cineform, you're not locked into just one NLE application.

Now I have two options: 1) Cut and edit photo montages and stills in Vegas, and/or 2) use some form of proxies in PPro3 for edits, and like you're finding out, AFF or EDL the project to Vegas and render from there.

I also looked into SpeedEdit, however, it refused to run on my machine.

I really don't want to break camp and drop Premiere altogether. Adobe may eventually release a point update to fix this mess, but how long until that happens? I emagine they are hustling to get the entire suite out the door very soon, and most likely this is just one issue of many.

There are other problems/crashes being reported with Premeire that I haven't experienced. I believe that most folks need to ensure they configure their PCs to run more efficiently; including the use of large scratch disks, limit the amount of background applications. Shutdown or disable un-needed services. Use dedicated video drives, and not run them on a shared buss with the system drive. Perform file maintence and defrage their drives, and often.

When it comes time to render. Then do just that and not try to surf the web, or get a dedicated second pc for that. Premiere is a fussy kid and wants a large playpen and all the toys to itself.

So, in my opinion/experience, the only real serious issue is the handling of large stills. Everything else is just minor nuisance or wish list fodder.

Enough yakking. I've got some workarounds to look into and I'll post my findings tonight.
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #82
Trustee

Proxies are working.

I'm a photographer, and I need to render out a simple slide-show of some 100 high-rez photographs. 4secs each with CF transition. Simple enough? Well, PPro3 can't handle that because of memory issue. What to do? We use proxies. "But on a 100 images? C'mon. No way!"

Fortunately Photoshop CS2 has some cool tools for creating batch proxies of stills. Lets assume that I've already sorted, edited and fixed my stills in PS, saving them as high-res jpegs. I'm now ready to import them into PPro3, (BTW PS CS2 raw image importer has batch processing).

Importing the 4064x2704 images into PPro would be murderously slow, and prone to crashing. PS CS2 a has neat tool called "image processor" (look under file-scripts-image processor). This tool will allow you select an entire folder of images and do repetitive chores such as resize, change compression ratio and save to a seperate folder. Just what we need for proxies.

PPro3 does have some automatic linking capability, but it complains if you change the name, location, or size of the image -but not the compression. Linking 100 files can be very tedius. However, what if we are linking/unlinking entire folders? Would that work? Sure it does!

So I place my hi-rez images into a folder named "hi-rez", and using PS' image processor, I select my hi-rez folder, set it to save the converted images to a new folder, "low-rez", reduce the jpeg quality to lowest or "1", and keep the original image, and click "start". Sit back and drink my coffee.

At this point I now have two folders of identical images, however, thanks to compression, the images in the low-rez folder are 10% of the memory footprint of the hi-rez, and PPro likes that.

Creating a CFHD 1080i project, I import (drag and drop) the low-rez folder into the bin. I then click on the folder and select automate to sequence, accepting the default for my slide show.

However, PPro is still a little laggy. No problem, in the track settings I select view clips as "frames only", and it's smooth like butter.

I then do any additional edits as needed. Once done. I then go back to the bin, right click the "low-rez" folder, and set it to "offline", (media files remain on disk option). I again right click on the "low-rez" folder, select "link media", and in the file browser I select my "hi-rez" folder, hitting the "select" button, the folder expands in the browser revealing the contents. I merely select the first image in the folder and press the "select" button again. Because I have not changed the image name or size, PPro3 will automatically relink all images in folder to whats in the bin.

At this point, if I were to attempt a render to CFHD, the application would crash with a memory error, or crash altogether. So I choose to save the project out as an AFF. Then close PPro3.

I then open up vegas 7, set the project template to 1920x1080i HD, and import the AFF file. Walla! The images import, and I proceed to render the timeline as a CFHD. Twenty-three minutes later I have my completed movie.

Some of you might ask why not just do this in Vegas to begin with? That's not the point. I wanted to do my edits in PPro as I'm used it. I also have many older PPro projects that simply need a small fix and re-render. Many projects only have a few images. All I need to do is create proxies for them, edit as usual, relink and hand off the rendering chore for vegas to do.

Finally, we don't need vegas, any application that recognizes AFF or EDL should be able do the job. "But Adobe needs to fix this!" you say. Fine. We all agree (including Adobe :). However, I need to get work done. This method will do it.
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #83
Regular Crew

I'm getting some freaky stuff happening with Magic Bullet Colorista and PPRO CS3/Aspect HD v4 when white-balancing footage.

- previews are going a bit haywire (noisy video and sometimes rolling picture!), but not all the time - seems quite random.

Contacted Redgiant Software who helpfully said "CS3 isn't supported until it's released"... hmmm - I won't bother helping them in the future then!

Maybe a workaround is needed.

Anyone out there been using any colour-correcting tools in CS3?

I'm more concerned with white balancing footage that's slightly off (we shot 2 camera with a Sony Z1 and an FX1, and obv the whitebalancing we did on location wasn't that good).

...and yes, Peter, I am considering exporting an AAF and doing colour-correcting in Vegas ;)
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #84
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Turner View Post
...and yes, Peter, I am considering exporting an AAF and doing colour-correcting in Vegas ;)
That settles it! Capture with HDLink, CC and Render with Vegas! Somebody tell Adobe we've fixed their problems! (I'm sure they would be glad to get the head up! :)
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #85
Major Player

CineForm and Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 / After Effects

Okay, no idea where the issue might be, but this group is great with ideas.
I am working on encoding my HD project into H.264.
I has not rebooted all by itself w/o being complete. One of the encodings
had been running for 24 hours. Any ideas?

This is a 50 minute video. It so far did it once after 24 hours when encoding the 50 minutes. I then started a 10 minute encoding, and it rebooted.

Thanks

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #86
Trustee

24 hour render? Does it get stuck somewhere, sit and spin, overheat and shutdown? Need more info on this. What's your PC specs, project type and media?
Old November 20th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #87
Major Player

Use care with Adobe color correction with Prospect!

Maybe this is obvious to everyone else, but we really didn't know until we accidently output some corrections a bit ago. We discovered if you have 1920x1080p CF'ed material imported into PP3, you better NOT accidently use an Adobe color corrector (HLS in particular!) and then render and output back to CF 1920 again.

If you do, will suddenly discover that your beautiful CFed material is now all full of stairsteps and looks terrible, even though you used EXACTLY the same settings for the output.

Maybe most everyone already knew this, but we didn't until now...

LESSON FOR THE DAY: Use Prospect HD color correction unless you want to ruin your output.

QUESTION OF THE DAY: of how many other filters and corrections in CS3 is this true?

(Additional note: this "imported-into-PP3 material" was done in AE and rendered out with the newest CF HD codec at the 1920 HD) res.

Last edited by Stephen Armour; November 20th, 2007 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Additional info added
Stephen Armour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #88
CTO, CineForm Inc.

This doesn't seem correct. All the Adobe filters under Color Correction should be full 32-bit float, and therefore don't introduce band like this.
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #89
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
This doesn't seem correct. All the Adobe filters under Color Correction should be full 32-bit float, and therefore don't introduce band like this.
I agree! It is the only one we have ever found that did that. It would be good to check it out further. I was able to reproduce it again.

It would be good if someone else also duplicated this behavior. The color filter is exactly the Adobe HLS one. We are running all the latest updates, including CF's. The CF filter for Prospect did not show that behavior and worked fine. All we were doing was taking the saturation down a little bit (15%) and used that filter. It was brought into PP3 as CFHD progressive, we applied the filter, then exported out again as a progressive 1920 CFHD.

If it's a bug, we need to know. Maybe a single color filter excaped Adobe's attention, or maybe somehow this one got installed over the top of the correct one?

That is highly unlikely, as this is a "clean install" CS3 and CF Prospect HD machine.
Old November 30th, 2007, 06:20 AM   #90
Major Player

Mac PPro CS3 doesn't import Cineform?

Hi,

I was trying to import Cineform AVI files into PPro CS3 (I have only Cineform player installed yet) and got the following error: Unsupported compression in file.

The file in question plays well in QuickTime and imports into FCP 6.0 without any problems.

Did anyone experience similar problems?
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase