CineForm and Adobe Premiere Pro -- various questions - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 4th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #61
Regular Crew

Hi Geoff;
I know the question was not directed to me, but that news has made my day. Also can you post the link for the news? Thanks Mike Q.
Mike Quinones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #62
Regular Crew

Hi Mike,

Here are two links.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/01...iere/index.php

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/01...ysis/index.php

-Geoff
Geoff Murillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #63
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes this is good news for CineForm, although we will be on the Mac well before the availability of Premiere Pro. We see a lot of opportunity.
Old January 5th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #64
MPS Digital Studios

David,

Do you have more news on CineForm for Mac, or a link to info? I'm really curious about this.

Thanks,

Heath
Old January 5th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #65
Major Player

We haven't formally published any news about our MacOS port, although we often use this forum as an unofficial update platform. We realize many are interested in this, so I'll take this opportunity to give you an update.

First of all we acknowledge that our port to MacOS has taken longer than we originally anticipated. Vagaries of OS's, wrappers, and magic potions for FCP/QT (without any documentation) have played havoc with our schedule.

The good news is that we really are making progress, albeit slower than originally hoped. We are actually playing 10-bit CineForm MOV files in FCP - this is the first time we've acknowledged this. There are still issues that remain that we are working on, so "no" we're not yet ready for a release. But please realize that our port to MacOS is a very high priority of ours.

For those of you following our product releases, we are already shipping CineForm QT compatibility in Windows. That means you can render a CineForm AVI to a CineForm QT on Windows (in Prospect HD) and use the extended (10-bit) precision of CineForm MOV files in other apps like Combustion. QT Windows was Step 1 in moving to QT MacOS. On a longer term basis we will allow you to capture directly into a CineForm MOV files (rather than AVI). The CineForm MOV files will be directly compatible with both Windows and MacOS. So you'll be able to move files back and forth between platforms with no conversions requires. For those interested in experimenting with CineForm QT on Windows, download our Trial version of Prospect HD - you'll see CineForm MOV as an export option. BTW, you can use the CineForm AVI and CineForm QT files side-by-side on the PremPro timeline interchangably - both have the same RT performance. We haven't yet included MOV support in Aspect HD or Connect HD.

We're excited about finally releasing CineForm MacOS QT because it'll make CineForm Intermediate (and CineForm RAW) truly OS, platform, and application-independent.

Last edited by David Taylor; January 5th, 2007 at 03:52 PM.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #66
MPS Digital Studios

David T.,

Thanks so much for the update! This is exciting news to hear.

Heath
Old January 24th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #67
New Boot

Premiere and Parhelia wont preview

Hi,

I've just installed my Parhelia (what a nightmare) in my current set up. When I preview with Aspect HD, it outputs to my TV just fine, although it will not scrub. (yes, I have checked the overlay box in the Aspect playback options).

However when I play a DV project (no Aspect) it will not play on my TV? I've tried various Playback settings in the Project setting but nothing works. I've also installed the Matrox Premiere Plug-In.

I'm currently running a Radeon card powering my primary DVI display, and I have a VGA monitor and my TV connected to the Parhelia.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Alex
Alex Hatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #68
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The Parhelia may not like sharing with the Radeon card. The Parhelia setups most customers use is the Parhelia alone.
Old January 24th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #69
New Boot

I don't think that's the problem. If I play a file with Windows media player outside Premiere, it works fine. Also, I've seen a couple of posts describing people using two cards.
Old January 24th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #70
Trustee

I don't have a Parhelia, so I'm just guessing, but I agree with David that with 2 video cards (and thus effectively 4 or 5 video outputs, depending on if the Radeon is dual-head) either the WYSIWYG plugin, or Premiere itself, is getting confused about what the primary monitor is and/or else what the firewire output source is.

Maybe the plugin assumes/requires that the Parhelia be the primary monitor?

And, Premiere may be looking for a hardware firewire port to output DV to (since that's what it would do if you just had the Radeon installed).

Edit: Oh and, while using 2 generic cards is common, I dont think using an extra card with the 3-output Parhelia/plugin combo will have been tried by many people.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 11:26 AM   #71
New Boot

I'm trying to use just the parhelia now, but it will only see my DVI monitor and not my VGA monitor. I've tried removing all the drivers, hidden drivers, moved the card to a different PCIe slot, all to no avail.

Oh the frustration.

THanks to all for your input.
Old January 24th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #72
Trustee

Go to the Matrox PowerDesk control panel. Click Video Playback Settings, then make sure to check the Use video overlay *and* Use PureVideo/DVDMax box.
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #73
New Boot

So I finally got something to work again with just the Parhelia, but it still will not preview DV footage in Premiere, but Aspect is fine. It will preview DV footage out the Firewire cable however.

The only way I can get it to work is to stretch the display, but since the monitors are different (DVI and VGA) the resolution that I have to use is not ideal.

I think I have to go back to the Radeon for my DVI monitor, and Parhelia for the VGA and TV. But I still wont be able to Preview DV footage on Premiere with the Parhelia.

What a pain. I guess I have to go buy another DVI monitor. Sheesh!!!!
Alex Hatz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase