CineForm and Adobe Premiere Pro -- various questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 14th, 2004, 10:42 AM   #1
Major Player

CineForm and Adobe Premiere Pro -- various questions

I just got a report from a friend that Adobe representatives at IBC claims the new HDV plugin that will be released within a month is made by CineForm.

If it's true it's great news because I quite frankly think the collaboration with MainConcept is no good. MainConcepts Mpeg2 products are all substandard (and CineForm is top notch).
Old May 1st, 2005, 11:45 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Premiere and the m2t file ...

Hello :)

I am using Premiere Pro with that update including a simple Version of cineform codec. Everything works fine and I am really happy with that solution.

The only thing I wonder:

Everytime I export back to tape Premiere want to save the "m2t" file, which I guess is the "real" MPEG that goes through firewire. But what is it saved for ?
Nice to have it, but I even cannot import or view it.

What is the deeper meaning behind that saving to disk ?

Thanks !

Peter
Peter Rixner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 12:07 PM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

It comes in handy if you purchase either Connect HD or Aspect HD, because you can simply save these "tape images" on your disk for later exporting to tape. The HDLink tool that comes with Connect HD or Aspect HD allow you to export one or more of these M2T files to external HDV devices. Aspect HD has a mode for creating M2T files without requiring the camera or deck be connected.
Old May 1st, 2005, 06:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

there are many ways to look at these files.
use VLC (free player), or install mainconcept HD codec (sorry cineform), play them to your D-VHS recorder are ones of the few.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2005, 12:18 AM   #5
Major Player

Premiere, Vegas 6 and PC requirements

The new Vegas 6 suposedly faster after you convert files to Cineform, which is included with product. Is it then as fast as Premiere?

When playing Cineform, viewed resolution decreeses. How much it get reduced?

If resolution decreeses, how you examine footage, especially if you go for film out? I need to examine footage at 1920x1080 to discard unsharp images first. Only then can I edit.

I don't really want buy Premiere but Vegas because I get excellent student discount.

How much faster computer need for Vegas, compared to Premiere? Is it like 3 GHz versus 2 GHz?

Are there as good student discounts for Premiere? Vegas 5 was just over
200 USD for students and Vegas 6 may be same.

How about examining footage on large monitor and footage would play at slow motion at full resolution, so computer could handle it? Then after mark unsharp sequences, you could basically edit offline. Would laptop be OK for this, laptop with 2 GHz processor, 512 MB ram, 60 GB 7,200 RPM hard drive and external hard drive? How much GB would that hard drive need? You can take laptop everywhere. You hook large monitor only to check sharpness and maybe color?

Does make sense?

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2005, 09:52 AM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Both Premiere and Vegas allow you to see the full resolution, you just need to open your window big enough (in Vegas you set the preview scale.) Vegas 6.0 actually requires less CPU to start working with HDV using CineForm than Premiere, yet under Premiere we can accelerate the editing more. There are completely different technologies at play. For Aspect HD and Premiere Pro 3+Ghz recommended, for Vegas 6.0 using CineForm a 2+Ghz PC will get you going. If you are looking for the lowest cost, go with Vegas, if you are look of the highest editing performance going with Aspect HD and Premiere Pro, both application are very good NLEs.
Old May 8th, 2005, 10:20 PM   #7
Major Player

another simple way to be able to pay it in your computer is to change the extension from m2t to mpg. That way your media player (Real or Windows) will rcognize it as a mpeg file and will play it in its native form (1280 X 720)! Sure, you need to have the Cineform codec installed in your computer, but you will be playing it in HD!!!

Luis
Luis Otero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2005, 11:49 PM   #8
Trustee

No need to change the extension.
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:43 AM   #9
Major Player

David,

Thank you. Think that I'll get laptop. I'll hook monitor to as needed.

The biggest hard drive I can get is 60 GB at 7,200 rpm. Let's asume I get laptop with 60 GB, 4,200 rpm. Should I replace with 7,200 rpm drive or should I instead add external drive. Let's asume laptop has USB and Firewire ports, one each, what kind external drive should I get?

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 08:51 AM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Get an internal 7200rpm drive (it will come in handy) and have an external USB2 drive for larger projects.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 05:16 AM   #11
New Boot

Premiere Pro 1.5.1 Muxing v.v.v.v.slow

Guys

I left my Premiere Pro cineform project exporting to over the weekend and it seemed to have stalled when I came back in today. I rebooted the PCandset it going again and I think it is stalling at thesame place. It transcodes the timeline fine, but then when it muxes it says 10:21:14 remaing and nothing else seems to happen,itsnotcrashed as I cancancel out of it, but this is how it was when I came in this morning and how it is now, which means over the weekend it hung likethis for 48 hrs. Any ideas?

Cheers

Ben
Old October 3rd, 2005, 09:24 AM   #12
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Are you using the export movie option and selecting "CineForm M2T"? This is the preferred mode. Or are you using direct "Export to Tape"? I need to know to make any suggestions. Do try a CineForm M2T export and set the work bar so that only a few minutes is export to confirm (quickly) that is working fine on your PC.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 03:07 PM   #13
Major Player

PPro Program Manager resizes clips

David, any thoughts? My post on the adobe forum and a response.

Man, its one issue after another. So, I finally got my video done. This project is a 720x480, 16:9, 1.2 pixel size project. In this video were two type of clips. One set were standard DV clips. The second type were files that started as HDV clips, and then were exported out to 720x480, 16:9, 1.2 pixel size. All of these clips in this project have these features when I look at them with properties.

But, after I have used Project manager on the project, all the clips that started as HDV, are now messed up. They have been changed to .9 pixel size, so they are no longer 16:9, but 4:3. The other DV clips were left as 1.2 pixel size.

So, any ideas? There are no options in PM. So, is this a bug in PPro?

Dave

Pierre Hervieux - 12:21pm Dec 23, 05 PST (#1 of 1)

Premiere uses the pixel aspect ratio in the clip file to interpret the clip. During your conversion process the required data may have been omitted. Premiere then uses the default 0.9 for any 720x480 clip as contained in the file Interpretation Rules.txt in the Plug-ins/en_US folder You can use the Interpret Footage command to conform to 1.2 pixel aspect ratio. You can select all the clips in one go and change them all at the same time.
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 03:39 PM   #14
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Sounds like Adobe bug. We do very little work in SD, so using the PM feature in SD is completely outsize of our test environment. We know the PM control works in HD.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 03:41 PM   #15
Major Player

Ok.
I may try PM on my HD project, just to see.

dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase