for sale ads - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:26 AM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Leclair
maybe the forsalers can provide private contact information that can otherwise be viewed, just not posted i.e. locked to post?
Interesting concept, it would require a sub-registration or possibly an entirely separate registration. I suppose it could be an opt-in at initial registration, but in that case I'm not sure how a person could go back and fill it in later.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:27 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Chris,

I appreciate the effort that must go in to running a board like this and i'm sure you're trying to do everything possible to be fair.

I guess having to pay for access would keep out the "passers-by" but won't keep out the "real" scammers. Not if paying something like $2 per month might still make them a quick 2K.

I just don't know a foolproof way to make it 100% clean.

Anyway, I do appreciate the effort and we'll just make do with whatever you come up with. (as long as I have access!) ;-)

Thanks,
Rick
Rick Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:32 AM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

Yup, as a member since August 2003, you definitely have access Rick! It's not about having a high post count, folks... it's all about familiarity.

Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:32 AM   #19
New Boot

im pretty bummed on this
ive been lurking these forums for a while now
never really posted much, because well, i havnt really needed anything
and everything ive seen was already answered, so on
i have something for sale in this forum
and well, its kinda something i need to sell soon because im low on cash
and now im screwed because i cant tell if anyone is even wanting to buy it
basicly, the way i see it, is this action was very unfair to the few that arent scammers and happen to use the for sale forum
Tyler Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:38 AM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

Tyler your listing is still in there and I have left a notice in your listing that you should be contacted by email. Also, there are a wide variety of other DV for sale forums out there on the web. If you need to sell quickly, the entire internet is at your disposal, and of course there is always Ebay, which is a seller's market anyway.

Old February 23rd, 2006, 10:24 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Yup, as a member since August 2003, you definitely have access Rick! It's not about having a high post count, folks... it's all about familiarity.
Thank god it's not about high post counts. I can imagine the crazy posts that'd pop up in order to get the requisite # of posts.

I wandered over here from cinematography.com because that whole tape brand issue (did a Google search) and found it to be a nice complement to the knowledgebase on the other site. The classifieds (where there was an air of familiarity) was a bonus.

As a newbie (to this board), I understand why this change was made and though it sucks for me because I'm trying to sell my Beachtek -- maybe I'll take it down to B&H and see what they offer me. I'm sure I'll be off probation when I'm ready to plunk down some cash for a used camcorder.
Chien Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 10:49 AM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Chien, I have left a notice in your listing also, that you should be contacted by email.

Old February 23rd, 2006, 11:12 AM   #23
New Boot

Chris,
Can there be some kind of escrow/holding area option for selling products through DVi for very, Very low $ (% of Sale) so DVi can check them out.

If the seller doesn't opt for the escrow/holding area, then publically let it be know by making thier ad in red or something. This will let potential buyers know there is something fishy going on.

Thanks, Joe Brockert

PS: I agree with Rick:
"Not quite fair to those of us who have been members for quite a while and come here to get information. I'm sure a lot of us don't post because either we don't have that much to say or just don't like being flamed.

I've purchased approximately $9,000 worth of cameras and equipment directly from people from this forum. However, my post count is fairly low. Why comment on things just to comment like a lot of people do. Silly."
Joe Brockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:07 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I started this string with the question I asked.
I am brand new to the forum and I don't even own a pro video camera (yet).
The posts I read here led me to want a vx2000/2100 or a PD150/170.
Now, because I'm new, I may end up on ebay.
One of the earliest post suggested that only long time members could sell on the forum.
That is genius!
As a buyer, if I am not willing for my payment to be verified by the seller then I can just go to ebay and take my chances!
I would much rather buy here from a long-time member than to mess with ebay.
Mike Coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:10 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Hey Chris and fellow members,

I agree that something has to be done to avoid scam artists from ripping off long standing members. However, starting to charge for membership will open a legal can of worms. I imagine it will be more headache than it's worth.

The idea of only established members (however you decide to define that) being able to post ads sounds like a good one, that way us newbies can purchase equipment with less chance of being scammed and scammers won't be able to post ads.

In my case I found your site via a google search for equipment, but discovered that it was much more of a resource than a trading post. In fact I have purchased equipment and switched to a g5 mac from a PC based on info I found on this site.

You mentioned that people who join ONLY to buy and sell equipment are not the type of people you want on here. I can certainly understand that; however, there is a percentage of people who are attracted to the site for the equipment for sale, that will learn about the site and explore all it has to offer, especially after they purchase said equipment.

I'm fairly new at this stuff, but I've really enjoyed being a member of this site and look forward to one day being an established member.

Cheers

Dino
Dino Santoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:19 PM   #26
Inner Circle

How about just putting restrictions on sellers? I can't think of a reason why someone with a low post count shouldn't be able to buy from someone in this forum. It's the buyer who takes the risk in these transactions.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:33 PM   #27
New Boot

Just to put in my 2 cents.

I'm new to the forum. I discovered it because . . . I was searching for equipment. I read forums all the time for information about video, sports, or anything else. However, I don't post much. I could be a long time 5 year + member and still not have 100 posts. That's just my personality. If I had some incredible piece of knowledge that would definitely help someone, I would be glad to offer it up. But it's usually just opinions and I typically keep mine to myself. Not mean or anti-social, just quiet. I completely understand the problem and it is unfortunate. But, I have learned a lot in the last couple weeks just seeing what people were selling and looking it up to see how it might benefit me. I think the biggest loser is the sellers. I would think a lot of buyers are "newbies" just breaking into the business. I could be wrong but wouldn't established, long-time professionals be more likely to have the funds to buy NEW? Anyway, like I said, just my 2 cents. I'll now slip back into the shadows to read and absorb information quietly. Hope this situation is resolved in a way that is beneficial to everyone but the scammers.

Mike
Mike Settle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:40 PM   #28
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Jones
I'm sure a lot of us don't post because either we don't have that much to say or just don't like being flamed. (this forum is not as bad as most)
While it's already been established that this *isn't* about having a low post count, it does worry me quite a bit when someone says they seldom post for fear of getting flamed. Now that is a big deal, because I originally intended this board to be a completely flame-free zone. Thanks to some exponential growth in the past couple of years, this has been harder to achieve, but if flaming ever happens here then I really want to know about it. The proper course of action is to first, don't reply to it, and second, use the "report bad post" button to the left of every post. That sends an alert to a moderator and we'll take it from there. The one thing I want to accomplish more than anything else, is to encourage lurkers to open up and post. These folks become some of our best members, and several of them are trusted moderators now. We all work hard to make this a flame-free zone, but we need your help, so if you see it then please report it. Thanks,

Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:43 PM   #29
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Settle
I could be a long time 5 year + member and still not have 100 posts.
Thanks for your input, Mike. Just to clarify, access to the Classifieds is *not* governed solely by post count. Length of time as a registered member is also considered. Those folks who have low post counts but have been with us for more than just a little while, have full access to the Classifieds forum right now (and you will too, soon enough).

Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:48 PM   #30
Wrangler

Believe me folks. This action has been discussed amongst us moderators a couple times in the past. We ultimately never did anything about it, hoping that these were just isolated incidents. Lately, as Chris stated, it has been happening more. I have bought and sold from other members and I have passed on some good deals because they were folks who were brand new to the forum.

I want to buy and sell with confidence as I would hope everyone does. When you buy from someone who has been here and been active for a while, it gives you a pretty good feeling that the transaction is going to go ok. Those who want to be here, and be a part of this community aren't going to risk all that by scamming someone with a bogus classified ad or a counterfeit payment.

The classifieds should be thought of as an additional service to the community as opposed to the community being an additional service of the classifieds.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements