for sale ads - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old February 27th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #61
Inner Circle

I think the thing to keep in mind, is that this site is not an 'auction site'. It's a discussion forum. The fact that Chris has included a sales area, is a nice perk, that can easily be removed.

Sales sites and auction sites often charge a fee or commision for either membership or sale.

Chris' 'charge' for utilising the sales forum, is a bit of time on the board.

Seems pretty cheap.

But then again, he could just take it away, and have one less headache.

I would miss it, but I wouldn't blame him.

(Yes, I've purchased from members of the forum.)

(And welcome aboard Michael, it's good to have you around.)
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 01:41 PM   #62
Tourist

Newbie Perspective.

Speaking as a newbie, I would like to be able to buy gear. Eventually (after I've had an opportunity to use my gear for a while) I might want to sell, but for now it would be nice just to see what's out there.

I would feel comfortable sending cash before shipment from long-time members if that's what it would take. It would be benefitial to those who want to sell because there would be more people looking at your ad.

Being new, I have a laundry list of gear that I'm looking for, and would love to pay less for it.

I am a big proponent of the "if you have nothing to say keep quite" rule. Trust me, if you want to avoid alot of useless chit chat and anoying questions you might reconsider the 100 post rule.

(I think my post count is up to 3 now)
Tony Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #63
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Leclair
Just out of curiousity what does it take to qualify? For what I'm gathering it has to do probably with the lenght of time you've been a member? How long is that, a year, 2 years more, less?
Yes as I've stated before, it's length of time as a member. But not two years... more like two months.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #64
Regular Crew

Thanks, sounds reasonable. Sorry for all the trouble you are getting over this! It's the bad apples.....
Christopher Leclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 12:46 AM   #65
Major Player

Thanks

Hi Chris;

You sure are taking a lot of heat on this issue. Time for us all to focus: It is a great forum. What makes it special for me is the ability to exchange information, and to get help, quick. Classifieds are fine, but like Mastercard, exchanging ideas is priceless. You guys have done a great job; my hat is off to you.

Jack
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 03:33 AM   #66
Regular Crew

Whatever you guys choose I have had nothing but positive transactions here not including the wealth of information.
Thanks DVinfo!
Old February 28th, 2006, 07:21 AM   #67
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D. Hubbard
Hi Chris;

You sure are taking a lot of heat on this issue. Time for us all to focus: It is a great forum. What makes it special for me is the ability to exchange information, and to get help, quick. Classifieds are fine, but like Mastercard, exchanging ideas is priceless. You guys have done a great job; my hat is off to you.

Jack
I agree completely!
Dino Santoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #68
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
The "official notice" is located here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=61346

In short, there were two problems. First, a growing number of scam attempts. Second, a large influx of new members coming in for the sole purpose of listing or replying to the Classifieds (no offense intended, but those folks are not the people that I want to attract to this site -- I prefer instead to have members who are into the spirit of friendly, productive community discussions about digital video).
Well I doubt seriously that this will effect the results you're looking for.
If all you're basing access to the Classifieds section on is the number of posts, well it's not too difficult to place a simple response post to dozens of topics in order to meet that requirement.
Then what? Will you have a "quality of post" factor to determine that a person is posting "quality" material instead of just trying to up their post count?

Personally I have been able, by the wonderful capabilities of your site, to obtain several pieces of DV-related equipment from terrific people at prices that didn't put me into the poorhouse, and for that I am truly appreciative!!

I totally agree with prior posts on this topic that it's mainly the "newbies" that are in the greatest need of good equipment at reasonable prices. Not the commercially-established corporate "regulars" that are funded by large companies.
Ken Grohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 05:31 PM   #69
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Grohs
If all you're basing access to the Classifieds section on is the number of posts...
But that's not all I'm basing it on. I've lost count now of how many times I've said that it also depends on length of time as a registered member. Someone might have only five posts, and still have access to the Classifieds because they've been with us for more than a couple of months.

Old February 28th, 2006, 06:29 PM   #70
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
But that's not all I'm basing it on. I've lost count now of how many times I've said that it also depends on length of time as a registered member. Someone might have only five posts, and still have access to the Classifieds because they've been with us for more than a couple of months.
Well, I've been a member since January 2005, or 14 months, and I don't have access, so I'm not really sure how long you were referring to.
Seems one needs far "more than a couple of months".

I'm not trying to be a pain. I appreciate your site to the fullest.
Just trying to figure out what the rules are. Realistic clarification would indeed be appreciated, based on the above.

Thanks!
Ken Grohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 06:33 PM   #71
Obstreperous Rex

According to the forum member database, it says you *do* have access to the Classifieds. Contact me by email and we'll try to sort out what's wrong.

Old March 1st, 2006, 08:41 PM   #72
Major Player

I commend the thought of keeping the classifieds as fraud free as possible. With that in mind, if the latest post I can see is Feb 27th, does that mean I am locked out? If so, I'm deeply disappointed.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 01:49 AM   #73
Obstreperous Rex

No, it just means that the most recent posts haven't yet passed through the moderation que. I'm running them now, so you should be seeing the most recent activity at this time.

Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:19 PM   #74
Regular Crew

Can't Sell or Buy

I've really enjoyed the DV Forum here and have learned quite a bit. I'm disheartened to find out now that there is a dark cloud of my new membership since I haven't posted enough posts.

So now I'm possibly a scammer and dishonest person since I haven't reached the 100 post mark. Well I guess I don't get to participate in the DV classifieds for awhile. Where else to go except EBay?

Happy shooting everyone,

John Astad
Santa Fe, Texas
Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:32 PM   #75
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
So now I'm possibly a scammer and dishonest person since I haven't reached the 100 post mark
I don't understand why everybody thinks they need 100 posts to see the Classifieds forum. That's not the way it works. If you've been a member for more than a month or two, that will get you in even if you have only four or five posts. I've lost track of how many times I've had to clarify this.

We don't consider anybody to be a possible scammer or a dishonest person. All newcomers are automatically assumed to be first-rate, honest, trustworthy folks. Access to the Classifieds is simply a privilege that is extended to those new folks who have chosen to stick around awhile and settle in, as opposed to some people who are just "passing through."

Sure hope that's clear enough,

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements