for sale ads - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old March 4th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #76
Regular Crew

im locked out of the classifieds

ive been a member for a few months now , what gives
Charles Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 10:07 PM   #77
Inner Circle

Since Feb 2006 is a few months? Might want to flip back to the correct page on the calander there.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #78
Regular Crew

robert

yeah i checked the date after i posted. let me restate that

Ive been an avid follower for a few months now'

you joined in jan and you have 20 times more post then me. Do you mind if i borrow some
Charles Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #79
Inner Circle

I can understand a level of frustration in trying to find a good, safe marketplace to buy and sell used gear on the internet, and I can certainly relate to a certain disdain for eBay as a marketplace. This site's primary purpose is not even akin to serving as a marketplace. This site is a great place to learn, and exchange information (it's purpose). I'm glad Chris is taking steps to see that this site does not degenerate into yet another site on the internet, clogged with advertising and teaming with crooks. I did purchase a camera from a classified ad on this site, which was an excellent transaction for both parties, and I do plan to offer some gear for sale in the classifieds in the future, but that is not even close to why I'm here at all.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #80
Regular Crew

Hmmmm...

How about opening up the viewing part. I can understand the fake listing thing - I am new and do not want to list anything - but it would be nice to possibly purchase something from a trusted member.

thanks
Don Boosinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #81
Regular Crew

Chris, I feel your pain. I check this thread here and there just to see where the debate is going. In the past couple days you posted twice that post count isn't the arbiter of classifieds access. Yet people still persist in saying they need to boost post count!

COME ON PEOPLE! It's not post count. In fact, Chris has virtually stated what the criteria is - so much so that whatever scammer deterrent effect is probably nullified. Sorry for the rant but it's frustrating when people don't read.
Chien Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #82
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boosinger
How about opening up the viewing part... it would be nice to possibly purchase something from a trusted member.
Stick around for a couple of months and you can. Consider it part of the reward for hanging out here regularly!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #83
Regular Crew

Just want to say "THANK YOU" to Chris and all of the moderators for trying to keep all of US safe from scammers.

For those who are complaining that you have so many posts and have been a member for awhile.....my advise is to make sure you sign in. I was also a liitle worried because I could not see the classifieds...until I signed in....Duh!! :-)

Again...thansk all!!
Old March 10th, 2006, 09:07 PM   #84
Regular Crew

$0.02

Well, as much as I love reading around on this place, I've got to say that this whole hullabaloo borders on the inane.

When I joined up here, it was for one purpose: to gain information leading to the purchase of used equipment. I did that, read around, read reviews, complaints, then found somone selling a used GL-2 in the forums. I used escrow for the transaction, and it went by beyond smoothly. I payed a few extra $ to make sure I didn't get burned, and in turn I didn't.

The internet is a jungle. Part of being a smart buyer is learning to protect yourself and your money in that jungle. Alienating fresh fry is, in my mind, not the answer. I wish there was some way we could track and disembowl scammers, but we can't, so we have to hope that theres some intelligent being up there who reserves a special place in hell for them, complete with torture instruments from the middle ages of earth and large speakers playing britney on a loop. Until then, the best policy is caution, defensiveness and research.

I love this board, and love the people on here, but I don't need you to protect me. If I get burned, I learn my lessons and move on. Thats the way life should be.

My $0.02.

Yay. One more post. Maybe I'll be able to look at the classifieds now.

-raza
Raza Ahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #85
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza Ahmad
I don't need you to protect me.
I agree with you all the way -- you don't need me to protect you. Unfortunately though, not everybody feels that way and we live in a litigious society. A scammer puts me at risk to a certain degree of liability. I don't want to find out what that's like. But in the long run, it really isn't about scammers; it's about earning a privilege.

Quote:
Yay. One more post. Maybe I'll be able to look at the classifieds now.
I don't understand what you mean by that. You've been a member since 2004. Of course you can look at the classifieds (I checked your account and yes you have access). You've always been able to. I don't know how many times I have to say this -- your post count doesn't matter. Being a member for more than a couple of months, is all that matters. And you are that.

Old March 10th, 2006, 10:05 PM   #86
Regular Crew

its how the incredibles got burned

Ah litigation.

Now that you bring that up I see your point of view much more clearly.

And I am indeed able to view the classified... didn't see them but then realized its because I don't log in until after I make a post...

Sorry bout that.

Raza
Old March 11th, 2006, 04:17 AM   #87
Major Player

I have viewed this thread with some interest, and reckoned that the stance taken by the moderaors was entirely justified.

Until today I had never used Classified, but have always been able to view it. today I have tried three times to place a post in Classified, but my post has not appeared.

I have been a member for two or three years, made over 100 posts, and alwyas log in when I visit. So I am left wondering just what are the criteria for qualifiaction to use the Classified section of the board. Could it be because I am not based in the USA and therefore have little chance of selling?
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 04:44 AM   #88
Regular Crew

The root

I think part of whats causing all all the mixups and thus Chris' frustration is a lack of information. I stumbled upon this thread but had been wondering for a few days now what had been going on with regards to the classified forum...

Couldnt there somehow be a method to make a clear announcement with information regarding this change, for example: A forum called "Private Classifieds" that everyone can view, with a single sticky post announcement, and then the real thing, hidden away somewhere for the priveliged....

Anyway... just a thought...

Raza
Old March 11th, 2006, 08:20 AM   #89
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Craven
today I have tried three times to place a post in Classified, but my post has not appeared.
That's a forum software glitch. See the mention at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=62324 -- I'm trying to get it fixed. Your post is there now. Sorry about that,

Old April 4th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #90
Major Player

And just when I was beginning to question what "a couple months" meant, BANG!, I can now see the classifieds. Thanks, Chris!!
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements