for sale ads - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old February 24th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #46
Regular Crew

found

I found the z1u guy emailed him and it turned out to be a scam. Somehow i feel responsible since i posted that the listing was a scam. It doesnt take a genuis to figure out which listings are real and which are fake.

For people to pay money and never get a camera is wrong but easily avoidable. If you pay with a credit card (convience checks,paypal ,etc ) and dont recieve your merchandiseyou can always file a dispute and get credit immediately.

" We can police ourselves" , I like most users come here to read info and learn about the camera world. Since I dont have any equipment, other than a jvc $400 camera,I am also looking for equipment as well. This is a great outlet for info and equipment and it's a shame to let it get ruined by a few morally challenged.

Please reinsert the classified section, and if needed just add a disclaimer.
Charles Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #47
Regular Crew

You only see them when you login.

-gl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Coco
What happened to the classified section?
Has it been moved or am I missing something?

mike
Old February 25th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #48
Inner Circle

From what Chris said, I am glad that he is proactive and taking steps to protect the integrity of this board (even though I would like to still be able to read the listings and perhaps offer some items myself right now). Sounds like things were starting to get out of hand. If this board starts attracting swarms of people registering simply to buy and sell, the scammer scum of the earth, who really need to get a life (preferably in a Siberian jail cell), will eventually arrive in force.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Real stinking cute. Yeah I am new here, but I grew up in the production business. My dad learned the movie business and started his own production business in 1947. I was born in 1944 and the only work I have ever done is film, video and still photography. I did it well enough to win about 3 dozen major awards for production excellence including 3 "Emmy" awards for directing television documentaries.

I joined a few weeks ago to be able to get answers to some questions relating to DV video production and editing which I am getting back into.

I had a DV camera fail and Sony made me a deal for a new camera. I posted several accessories from the DV camera that I no longer needed and now I can't even monitor the classified section. I have a 100% rating on E-Bay (mostly Yamaha motorcycle parts).

I am a member of the Acoustic Guitar Forum and there are thousands of dollars worth of guitars that change hands through that forum and I my impression is that there is little or no scamming going on. I have purchased two Taylor guitars from AGF members (a Taylor Custom shop 810 and a 420) and the deals went perfect.

Just my $.02 worth.
Michael Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #50
Obstreperous Rex

Like I've said before, that board is a privilege for those who have earned it for the time they've put in here over the long run. Its use is reserved for those who call this place home. New members need to earn the right by putting in the time and effort.

It's not about how trustworthy or honest you are, because that's expected up front from everybody here in the first place. It's not about how many awards you've won, I could care less; awards are great for building egos but they don't make any difference here. There are about a squillion other places online where you can buy and sell gear; plenty of other sites you can go to for that purpose. Nobody is adversely affected by this; nobody is inconvenienced; nobody's rights are being infringed. Simply point your browser to www.someothersite.com and move on.

I have no clue aout the personal histories of any newly registered members coming into this community and have no way whatsoever of knowing who is who. And no I am not about to verify anybody's transaction records or dig up Ebay feedback or do background checks or any of that stuff, that's way, way too extreme and invasive for my blood. And trust me, I'm not losing any sleep if somebody feels like they don't want to put in the time to earn a simple membership privilege.

My apologies for the rant, y'all -- I can't help but feel like our classifieds board was being taken for granted, for far too long. Once again... that forum is reserved as a membership perk for those who have put in the time and effort here at DV Info Net. There are no other criteria, besides the honesty and trustworthiness that you're already assumed to have when you first came here. For new folks, if you posted something in the Classifieds, then you'll get an email from any prospective buyers.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #51
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dunn
Real stinking cute.
Yes, indeed.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #52
Inner Circle

I'm sure Mr. Dunn is an honest, standup guy. Just out of curiousity, I plugged "Michael Dunn" into the search at the www.emmys.tv website. Well, I guess I just wasn't really all that surprised by the results, but I'm sure there's no scam attempt going on here.
Old February 25th, 2006, 10:07 PM   #53
Obstreperous Rex

I'm sure of that as well, and it's still completely irrelevant.

Old February 26th, 2006, 06:52 AM   #54
Regular Crew

Classified useage - suggestions

Group,
I too was looking for the classified's. While this site host SO much valuable information, and is an endless site for chat sessions, (everyone whom I've chatted with being great!), I find it "Incomplete" without the classifieds. (I'm always looking for a great deal, and enjoy selling my equipment to members - passing on the great deal)

Maybe a way to verified a legit sale from a member??? Most of us also sell on ebay, so why can't we use our user ID as verification? (Check mine - "siucoharley", I'm one of the honest ones!) Those "scammers" don't usually last here or on ebay. Also, anyone buying internet goods (especially if it's of higher $$$) should always talk to the person via telephone (remember those?? haha) And finally use paypal as a semi-secure method of payment. Use a little common sense, "if it sounds too good to be true, somethings wrong" and when a sale is all said and done between two DV info members, post feedback to let others know, "Hey BOTH these members are solid and trustworthy. (Of course being a long-time'er goes a long way)

Just like to try and come up with a solution as "I miss the Classifieds Chris"......... :(
Gary Siu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 07:18 AM   #55
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siu
Group,
I too was looking for the classified's. While this site host SO much valuable information, and is an endless site for chat sessions, (everyone whom I've chatted with being great!), I find it "Incomplete" without the classifieds. (I'm always looking for a great deal, and enjoy selling my equipment to members - passing on the great deal)

Maybe a way to verified a legit sale from a member??? Most of us also sell on ebay, so why can't we use our user ID as verification? (Check mine - "siucoharley", I'm one of the honest ones!) Those "scammers" don't usually last here or on ebay. Also, anyone buying internet goods (especially if it's of higher $$$) should always talk to the person via telephone (remember those?? haha) And finally use paypal as a semi-secure method of payment. Use a little common sense, "if it sounds too good to be true, somethings wrong" and when a sale is all said and done between two DV info members, post feedback to let others know, "Hey BOTH these members are solid and trustworthy. (Of course being a long-time'er goes a long way)

Just like to try and come up with a solution as "I miss the Classifieds Chris"......... :(

theres no way to verify your ebay id.. and even if there was there are thousands and thousands of hacked accounts.. so it would be pointless. Those scammeras do last on there.. the only people getting banned are people with stolen accounts.. like my old one.. still not allowed to use it yet because it was stolen. ebay doesnt push for prosecution of anyone... chris shouldnt have to worry about it... but i do think it would be cool to let everyone VIEW that forum and be able to reply through email if they're interested in buying an item. ive only been here since october... take a real interest in the site and you shouldnt have any problem getting your posts up.
Old February 26th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #56
Inner Circle

It's kinda cool here in Minnesnowta too. You can tell just by the sheer number of posts I've written, that I haven't walked out the door much recently. Actually, I haven't been further than the local grocery (a few blocks away), since the frigid, arctic blast blew in a little over a week ago.
Old February 27th, 2006, 02:10 AM   #57
Major Player

Going back a few pages, i have some of the same sentiment as Mike and Tyler. I've been lurking around and occasionaly posting. most of the discussions i dont reply to because I either dont feel i have the knowlege to really discuss the topic or my comment has already been posted by someone else. So the new classified rules do seem unfair, but i understand why they are here, so i guess ya'll should expect a lot of posts from me.
Jay Kavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 08:42 AM   #58
Obstreperous Rex

Once again... you don't need a high post count for access to the classifieds. I just checked your account, Jay, and it shows that you can get to that forum. If you're not seeing it for some reason, shoot me an email.

Old February 27th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #59
Regular Crew

Just out of curiousity what does it take to qualify? For what I'm gathering it has to do probably with the lenght of time you've been a member? How long is that, a year, 2 years more, less?
Christopher Leclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #60
Regular Crew

To Mr. Robert Wright,
Here is a little background. My father Cal Dunn was originally an artist and an art director working in the advertising business. He learned the motion picture business during WW II. My dad worked as a civilain for the Signal Corps. He produced and directed movies and slide films for the Navy and Army Air Corps. Many of the programs he worked on were top secret, such as Radar and new weapons systems. In 1947 he started his own production company in Chicago, Cal Dunn Studios. I was born in 1944 and this is the business I grew up in. From the summer of 8th grade (1958) I worked for my father. I learned all facets of the business from grip work to running an Oxberry animation stand. I earned a Marketing degree from the University of Arizona (1968); got married in 1969 and returned to Chicago where I worked for my fathers company. I produced and directed all kinds of slide films, motion pictures, and multi-image presentations. In the multi-image area I was particularly proud of the program I produced for Opryland USA. It was a 25 minute program on the History of the Grand Old Opry. It ran year round in a special theatre adjacent to the new Opry House at Opryland. I photographed and shot motion pictures of the very last Opry performance at the Ryman Auditorium on Friday night and the first performance at the new Opry House. This show was attended by a VIP guest list that included (then President) Richard Nixon.

My Emmys as director were won in the Chicago chapter of the organization.

My programs were

"Chicago Passport to the World" The premise of the program was.... that because Chicago has such a diverse population it is possible to visit cultures from around the world. We did just that by filming cultural events, museums, food festivals, and special events in the various ethnic neighborhoods throughout Chicago. The program won three Emmy awards. Emmy for Director (myself); also Emmys for Cinematography (Charles Peich), and Editing (Fred Steim). The program was paid for by Talman Home Federal Savings and aired on NBC Chicago. The program was subsequentially put into distrbution in the US and copies were traveled by the US State Department throughout the world.

"Made in Chicago". We covered 7 Chicago companies that each produced products that required high degree of skill in manufacturing and that in many cases preserved "old world" skill. Stained glass, Deerdorf camers, a custom book binging company that was 135 years and 4 generations in Chicago, CD Peacock Jewerly for custom made jewelry. CD Peacock was the oldest business in the city of Chicago. There were two Emmys won buy the program. I won an Emmy as Director, and an Emmy for Cinematography (Charles Peich). The program was paid for by Talman Home Federal Savings and it aired on NBC Chicago.

"Make a Splash, Volunteer". The program highlighted unique volunteers in the city of Chicago. A free medical clinic operating in a church on the south side. Divers feeding the fish in the big tank at the Shedd Aquarium, a retired gentlman who took on the persona of Frank Lloyd Wright (wardrobe and all) and took people on tour of the FLW houses in Oak Park, IL I won an Emmy as director, also an Emmy for Sophia Maass as Producer. The program was paid for by the Junior League of Chicago and Evanston, Illinois The program aired on WTTW (PBS) Chicago.

All three programs were shot on film, (remember that). Make a Splash was shot on film and was posted in video

I have two of the programs on VHS and if you would like to view them I would be more than happy to loan you a copy. I also have copies of my demo reel.

I worked with my father until his retirement in 1986. We split the company (he kept one client) and I took the balance. From 1986 to 1998 I specialized in medical and pharmaceutical video programs. My clients included Baxter Healthcare, Abbott, MSD, Boots Pharmaceuticals and others. I also spent most of those years photographing Indy Car Racing. For 11 years my client was Pennzoil. I photographed Rick Mears with Penske Racing and then the Pennzoil money went to Jim Hall Racing. Those year were spent photographing John Andretti, Teo Fabi and Gil de Ferran. I traveled to every race track that the series raced on in the US. I did that until the CART, IRL split in 1995.

By 1998 I became dissenchanted with video production and turned my full time attention to still photography. I specialize in shooting beautiful models. I shoot all over the US and several tropical locations. I travel regularly to Costa Rica, the Mexican Riveria and the Caribbean. I am published by a half dozen magazine companies in the United States and I am represented intenationally by the Photorama agency in The Netherlands. I publish under the pseudonym of James Hamilton. You can see samples of my work on my web site www.jamesgirls.com

I am beginning to shoot video again at the request of some of my magazine clients who wish to market video. The DV format and computer based editing is the norm for inexpensive production and there are things I need to acquaint myself with to accomplish this task. Hence my recent joining of this form.

My trusty Sony VX 1000 died from massive corosion damage. (All those trips to salt water did it in). Sony made me a deal to get into a new camera and I took them up on it. I have all the accessories for the VX 1000 here with me and I posted them in the classified section at a nominal price figuring that someone could use them. 3 days later I can't even see the section. I understand why the owners or moderators have decided to lock out new members but it is still my right to object to it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum was the Taylor Guitar Forum until Bob Taylor got tired of mis-information on his guitars being presented as fact and..... Guitar Center (a high volume retailer of Taylor Guitars....that takes a beating from the forum members for their almost total lack of care for high end acoustic guitars) complained to Bob Taylor. Bob and Kurt Lustig own the company and they wanted their name off the forum. So the Taylor Guitar Forum became the AGF!

When I am not working I enjoy Guitar playing. I own 4 Taylor's and 2 Yairi's. You can find me on the acoustic guitar forum as mdunn. I also like 60's muscle cars. I have two, a 1965 GT 350 Shelby Mustang that I purchased from a friend in 1967. I believe I am longest continuous owner of a 1965 GT 350. I also have a 1969 Boss 302 Mustang that I have owned twice. New and then re-purchased in 1987 as rolling junk. It is now restored. And, motorcycles. Between my wife and myself we own 8. My current lust is 1985 and 86 Yamaha FZ 750's. I own 4. One purchased new and the rest acquired along the way. The most recent one is an 86 with 203 miles on it. Mild crash damage got it parked. I found it on E-Bay. It will be running next summer.

I will turn 62 years old in a month. The only thing I have done to earn a living since I got out of the Army and got married in 1969; is motion picture production, video production or professional still photography. While I may be a New Boot on this forum I am an old pro in this industry.

I hope this brief description satisfies your curiosity as to who I am and what my credentials are in the production business and life in general.

Last edited by Michael Dunn; February 27th, 2006 at 04:34 PM.
Michael Dunn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements