Various questions FCP3 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 11th, 2002, 11:31 PM   #91
Warden

Quicktime 5 and 6 do (you need the Pro Key) and QT 4 I think did. Can't remember for sure on QT 4. Many other programs will do simple audio coversions. QT is the least expensive, $29.95 for the Pro Key. Version Tracker http://www.versiontracker.com/ may have some shareware or freeware programs that convert audio also.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2002, 07:08 AM   #92
Regular Crew

FCP-Audio Filter-Vocal DeEsser Settings?

I'm trying to apply the DeEsser filter to some voice over with too much "sssss".

There are 3 settings: Frequency, Ratio, and Emphasis. I assume the frequency is set at the approximate range of the human voice. Can someone explain the functions of the other two settings, the approximate values to reduce "ssss", and perhaps a reference to learn more about the FCP audio filters in general.

The FCP manual and "FCP 3 and the art of film making" don't seem to provide any details.

Thanks!
Old December 31st, 2002, 04:12 PM   #93
Major Player

i do most of my audio fx work with outboard equipment and have never used FCP3 de-esser but i would assume the frequency would be set to where the sibilance takes place ratio would be set for the amount you want the sibilance lessened and emphasis would be used to dial it in???? you may want to add the compression filter as well to even out your sound as to not allow the "ssssss" to overpower the spoken words.

try a pop filter placed in front of the mic while recording the VO next time this may help in reducing the sibilance.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2003, 12:39 PM   #94
Warden

BIAS http://www.bias-inc.com/downloads/do...tion/peak.htmlhas free documentation and tutorials for Peak DV, the version that comes with FCP 3. If nothing else, download the PDF on removing noise, that may give a few insights.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2003, 09:00 PM   #95
Regular Crew

De-ess

The only way I have sucessfully de-essed is using hardware or software designed for just that. DBX makes a 900 series de-esser that is the best hardware de-esser I have ever heard (other than using a side-chain setup on an SSL console). Waves makes a software plugin de-esser that is absolutely awesome. I have used it on the last three records I have mastered just to clean up the zing in the highs. I'm sure that doesn't answer your question but it's the only way I've been able do it that works (almost) 100%.
my 2 cents
Mark
Old January 17th, 2003, 12:29 AM   #96
Regular Crew

Green screen with FCP3

Hi all

I'm about to shoot with a green screen next week. talking head. I will be editing with FCP3. I have been using FCP for 3 years now, but have never shot or edited with the green screen before. Does it do a decent job? Any tips and tricks to making it look right? I have already read alot about how to light, but just wondering if their is an tricks in post.

thanks
Scott
Scott Burbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2003, 11:50 AM   #97
Major Player

Is anyone using a JVC SR-VS30U with FCP3?

I was thinking about picking one up, but it's not listed in Apples 'official' compatibility list.

If there are issues with it, what other miniDV/SVHS combo deck are you using?
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2003, 12:18 PM   #98
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Mark,
Here's a current thread on this general topic that you'll want to review.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2003, 12:31 PM   #99
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : Hello Mark,
Here's a current thread on this general topic that you'll want to review. -->>>

Ken - I found that thread on a search, but noone has actually said they use the deck with FCP and that compatability is what I'm trying to find out. But that thread is a help with OTHER deck suggestions.
Old January 19th, 2003, 12:45 PM   #100
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Mark,
Dan Berube, fellow "Wrangler" here and president of the Boston Final Cut Pro Users Group, seems to suggest that the deck is compatible with FCP3 in this thread.

Hopefully he'll chime-in here to comment.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2003, 12:57 PM   #101
Major Player

Dan are you out there?

I've been searching over on the 2-pop boards and quite a few folks have issues with artifacting, dropped frames and even gettin the deck recognized (when hooked with firewire). It seems to be the perfect solution for me (function/price) and maybe the deck is just a little sensitive and only works if it's treated a certain way....
Old January 24th, 2003, 01:09 AM   #102
Regular Crew

I think there are some tips and maybe even a tutorial on lafcpug.com about Chroma keying.
BTW I have heard After Effects (if you have that too) gets better results easier then FCP.
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2003, 01:35 AM   #103
Regular Crew

Oops, exact url http://www.lafcpug.org/
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2003, 07:40 PM   #104
New Boot

which is better blue/green?

Anybody know the answer to this? I am using FCP
Tony Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2003, 10:58 PM   #105
Regular Crew

I think it depends on what is in your scene that you want to keep and what you want to knock out. With FCP you can use the eye droper tool to select the exact colour you wish to take away. Bluse and green are suggested normal colour to key as they are not in skin tones much. (my understanding only)
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite