DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 16th, 2002, 12:07 AM   #61
Regular Crew

FCP3 and Premiere6

Can these two apps peacefully coexist on the same system? I want to have the ability to use Premiere on my Mac while I learn FCP. I know that XDV3 has problems with Premiere being on the same system.
Old November 16th, 2002, 12:07 AM   #62
New Boot

FCP 3 on G3?

While taping with the PD 150,I have a Mac G3(blue and white monitor) that I am looking to put Final Cut Pro 3 on,and to edit my programs.The G3 is maxed out on RAM,and has 40gigs
internal hard drive.Now,I will be getting external hard drives from Lacie to daisy chain from the Mac in order to store footage-
yes,I'm planning to have several hard drives altogether.Folks,I'm
too poor to afford a G4(great system,but too costly),and I have concerns whether the G3 can handle the load.Any comforting and
calm reassurances would be welcome.Thanks.
Perry Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2002, 09:13 AM   #63
Major Player

Here are the specs from Apple:

Link: http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/specs.html

Requirements

Macintosh computer with a 300-MHz or faster PowerPC G3 or G4 processor and built-in FireWire
— 500-MHz or faster single or 450-MHz dual processor Power Mac G4 or PowerBook G4 required for G4 realtime effects

— 667-MHz PowerBook G4 required for mobile G4 realtime effects in DV format

Mac OS 9.2.2 or Mac OS X v10.1.1

QuickTime (included)

256MB of RAM (384MB recommended for G4 realtime effects)

40MB of available disk space required for installation
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2002, 10:24 AM   #64
Warden

I have Premiere 6.5 and FCP 3.0.2 on OS 10.2.2 with no problems what so ever. All I can really say is try it and if Premiere doesn't work rethink your strategy.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2002, 10:54 AM   #65
Major Player

I used a 300Meg B&W with FCP3 with good success. I had around 384M ram, and used OS-9.2. If possible, an internal IDE hard drive would be a better and less-expensive addition. It was easier to do this on some models than others, though. I believe that the IDE required the 1-piece drive sled. I had a real early G3, so I went the internal SCSI card/drive route from Macgurus, but that a few years ago, and more expensive.

Some have used external FW drives, but daisy-chaining them is asking for drop-outs.

Bottom line, though, is that the G3 will perform quite well.
Old November 16th, 2002, 01:26 PM   #66
Regular Crew

Thanks, Jeff. I just wanted to see if anyone was doing it successfullybefore I gave it a try!
Old November 19th, 2002, 01:48 PM   #67
Regular Crew

Flipping Flopping!!! FCP3 ...

Hi

Please help!

I am using a G4 with FCP3 and whilst filming this year took some images of still photographs to use in a doc i'm making. Unfortunately I recorded the images upside down, but didn't think that was a problem as i could use the 'flop' filter in FCP to rectify the problem.

Flopped image looks great in FCP but on my Television monitor any images that have had this filter applied wobble up and down and render the sequence unwatchable.

I've tried another monitor, same thing. I even tried flopping, recording the correctly oriented image back to DV and then re-importing into FCP. The problem didn't resolve.

Has any of you guys ever had this or got any suggestions?

BTW I can't easily refilm the images, they were taken in the U.S. and I live in the UK!

Cheers!

Simon
Simon Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2002, 05:29 PM   #68
Warden

I can't post the whole procedure,(sorry I have my Cub Scout meeting to go to) but the fields are reversed. I'll post details later this evening.

Jeff
Old November 19th, 2002, 06:22 PM   #69
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff

I can't get back on the 'net until 6:30 gmt tomorrow, but very much look forward to your reply

Cheers

Simon
Old November 19th, 2002, 07:25 PM   #70
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

er..um...Jeff. Just HOW OLD are you?
Old November 19th, 2002, 07:35 PM   #71
Regular Crew

Jeff is 14 1/2 so he is allowed to go to cub scout meetings..... but by now he should be a weablo (sic) or an eagle.

Just kidding,

I couldn't resist
Old November 19th, 2002, 10:34 PM   #72
Warden

I'll be 14 my next birthday.

Actually, it's my son's Cub Scout meeting (he got his Bobcat pin). He's 9, I'm 45. I think by rotating the scene you got the field dominance out of order. Normally mini DV is lower dominate. But by rotating the image 180¼ the dominance is out of order, causing the image to hop. The quickest way is to use the de-interlace filer on the clip. But it may soften the image too much after being rendered.

The correct way to do it is to nest the sequence, rotate the clip and under sequence settings, change the field dominance. Render the nested sequence and edit it into your sequence. FCP help will explain nesting and how to, just search nest.

Jeff
Old November 20th, 2002, 04:25 PM   #73
Regular Crew

Jeff

Brilliant, thanks it worked!!

Simon
Old November 22nd, 2002, 06:06 PM   #74
Machinist Mate

Of course, once you start using FCP, you won't want to use Premiere, and you'll be wondering why you even keep it on your system at all!
:-)
Old November 24th, 2002, 12:11 PM   #75
Matt H123

total newbie question! help!

Hey all,

I recorded a scene on a beach, and got a lot of wind pop in the mic I was using (I used a windscreen, but apparently it wasn't enough!), but I'm using FCP3, and it came with a copy of Peak-DV from bias. How do you open the dialogue of the clip in Peak, so that I can try to eliminate the wind pop, because it's distorting the actor's lines?? Do you have to unlink audio/video, and then export the clip to a file, or is it just a plug-in for FCP?

Also, and suggestions as to what filters to try?

Thanks a million!! :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite