Various questions FCP3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 12th, 2002, 02:34 PM   #16
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I'm confident that the 500MHz iBook will run FCP3. The two caveats that come to mind are:

- being a G3 processor you will not get "real-time" effects processing (which requires a G4), and

- the smaller screen may make life a bit awkward since the canvas, the browser, the timeline, the tool palettes, etc. will all have to cram into a narrower screen.

If you proceed with the iBook, or even a PowerBook, you should definitely budget to also get a good external FireWire hard disk to use as your capture drive (as you noted).

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2002, 03:11 PM   #17
New Boot

That was another question I had. Since the iBook only has one FireWire port, is it even possible to capture from my camera to an external drive? I know that they make FireWire hubs, but do these hubs allow for the camera(deck) and an external drive to operate simultaniously and capture footage to the external drive?

Also, I know that memory is important in Windows based systems (which I currently use), and I assume that it is important in Mac based too, but is it to the same extent, or is it more processor intensive than anything else? What kind of render times would i be getting on a G3-500?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Trent Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2002, 03:45 PM   #18

Yes, memory is quite important to FCP and you'll want to load up the iBook. OS 10 (which, I assume, you'll be using) is basically Unix and will efficiently use as much memory as you give it.

Re: Firewire ports, good point. Firewire operates as a chain-bus which means that devices can be daisy-chained (somewhat like a SCSI bus but without the device id conflict hassles). When shopping for a Firewire hard disk be sure you get one that has TWO Firewire ports. These will typically be 6-pin ports (one edge is rounded, the other is squared). One will be attached to your iBook and the other will be cabled to your camera during capture. Note that you'll need a 6-pin to 4-pin cable for the camera connection since cameras feature a 4-pin port (small, squared with a dimple on one long edge). You can also use a Firewire hub but you may not really need one to just use a camera and hard disk.

There are several good Firewire hard disks available today. You'll often see 7200rpm drives being cited as a requirement for capture and editing but a good 5400rpm drive will also be able to keep pace with DV's requirements. The Maxtor 80Gb 7200rpm drive may be one of the better values today. Also take a look at www.firewiredirect.com and www.wiebetech.com.

Have fun!

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old June 12th, 2002, 07:55 PM   #19
Trustee

you could also just capture to the internal HD then move off footage onto an external FW HD.....but if you're gonna do offline RT- you wont need too much space.......

have fun.
Old June 20th, 2002, 03:42 AM   #20
jeffyr163

Don't forget

Trent,

Don't forget to add in the $300 Applecare protection plan. At my job we have over 40 books ranging from Wall Streets through Tibooks and every one of them at one time or another has had some kind of service (mostly from impact damage/squished screen/broken ports/ many many many shorting out 45 watt power adapters (($95 ea)) /etc.) . Of course when I got my mac at home I passed on the protection plan. 14 months later I needed a new logic board.....the price for that was more than the 3 year protection plan.

Live and learn. If you are transporting this in any way be wise and get the plan.

jeffyr
Old June 20th, 2002, 05:58 AM   #21
Warden

The render times are slow because it uses the G3 processor rather than the more expensive G4 that is used in the towers. Like Ken suggests, it would be good for off lining and then finsh on a faster machine.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2002, 01:50 PM   #22
Trustee

Print to Video problem

hello FCP users....

..having a small problem and was hoping someone here might be able to list a solution....

during print to video, I can no longer see the video on the camcorder - i can hear the audio but no video is present...I thought it was the FW cable but if i select the "show current" option in the "View" menu- the viewer on the camcorder will show whatever frame is currently onscreen in FCP... I've tried just about every combination of options and presets in FCP3 but nothing seems to work- anyone know what is happening during the print to video- where's the video???

I can no longer save my edits to tape...very frustrating!
Old August 14th, 2002, 02:49 PM   #23
Warden

I'm doing this from memory. In Audio/Video preferences check the external video settings. It may have to do with mirror on desktop being checked or unchecked. But I usually do edit to tape instead of print to tape. It's basically just press record on VTR (camcorder) and play FCP. Everything goes to tape, no problem.

Jeff
Old August 16th, 2002, 07:17 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Re: Print to Video problem

<<<-- Originally posted by stevenyc1@aol.com : hello FCP users....
during print to video, I can no longer see the video on the camcorder - i can hear the audio but no video is present...I thought it was the FW cable but if i select the "show current" option in the "View" menu- the viewer on the camcorder will show whatever frame is currently onscreen in FCP... I've tried just about every combination of options and presets in FCP3 but nothing seems to work- anyone know what is happening during the print to video- where's the video???

I can no longer save my edits to tape...very frustrating! -->>>

Go to Audio/Video Settings, and select External Video. Then do this:
1. For "View during Playback using," select "Apple FIrwire NTSC (720x480)." Then, check "Mirror on desktop during Playback."

2. For "View during Recording using," select "Same as Playback." Then, check "Mirror on desktop during Recording."

This should do it for you to resolve your issue. If your inability to save your edits to tape persists, let me know.
Old August 19th, 2002, 09:19 PM   #25
Trustee

Help- FCP 3 Dead!!!!!

Hey everyone,

I'm not feeling the best tonight- my XL1S quit on me during an outting to Maryland for taping of a big pocketbike race (I was there to shoot the event with 8 mini-dv camcorders)- of course my XL1S decided to stop working due to dirty heads and weird colors (another new XL1S was on hand and my unit was inferior in every regard to the newly purchased unit)- my buddy had just spent slightly over $8,000 just to cover this event ( we bought jibs, Skycranes, video tripods, Varizoom controllers- the works....)
........and now FCP3 has decided it no longer wants to start up- I was using the program this AM and had no real problems to speak of (although i've noticed a series of hiccups when using external FW HD's).....anyway when I try to start FCP3 (3.0.2) it attempts to start and i can just barley see the viewer and canvas windows but it then abruptly quits and i get a box saying "FCP has suddenly quit- no other applications have been affected"- that's it- no reason- no codes- nothing!!! I thought OS X was supposed to be the "stable OS of the future".....FCP never did this while using OS 9......

....i've been thinking of throwing in the towel and giving up on the whole 'desktop editing" bandwagon......too many issues with devices and non-compatible things.....cameras that quit with less than 15 tapes through it.....new 933 G4 Mac that's suddenly decided it wont run FCP3 anymore....I dread calling Apple- I can only imagine what they're gonna tell me.....

over $15,000 invested in this hobby and I can't get things to work.......

...I gotta admit- the sleek advertising and catchy claims got me to believe I too could create movies on my home computer......

sorry for the sad banter- but if any of you have experienced what i've experienced today- you know where i'm coming from.......update this- update that- get this HD and this camera and this monitor and CL2 class SDRAM and you'll have the baddest editing machine around- yeah i bought into this excellent hobby.

Even if I resolve this issue- i'm not convinced desktop editing is prime time yet- regardless of anything i've read-----search the internet and you'll see tons of "problem" posts....

..just thoroughly dissapointed!
Old August 20th, 2002, 05:12 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Steve:

Sounds like you need to delete your FCP preferences file (The file contains user preferences for scratch disk settings, capture settings, window layouts, and so forth.).

In OS 9, the Preferences file is located in the Final Cut Pro Data folder within the Preferences folder, within the System folder. In OS X, it is located in the users Preferences folder (~/Library/Preferences/Final Cut Pro User Data). The file contains user preferences for scratch disk settings, capture settings, window layouts, and so forth.

This should allow FCP to start.

I can understand your frustration, but keep in mind that many of us use both the XL1-S and FCP to make a living and I wouldn't risk my business on equipment that didn't work. The dirty head problem you experienced on your XL1S probably could have been solved by regular cleaning and avoiding use of different brand tapes. Like any computer program, FCP requires regular housecleaning to keep it running at optimum. Software does crash. Equipment does malfunction (I can give you horror stories from Avid suites as well). The key is maintenance and attention to detail.

Doug
Old August 20th, 2002, 07:36 AM   #27
Warden

Hi Steve,

I know the frustration and empty feelings your having about now. It's no fun. I know this doesn't make it any easier, but we've all been there (so to speak). What OS are you using 9 or X ? Doug's suggestion to trash the preferences is a very good starting point. If that doesn't work the next step would be to back up any media and reinstall FCP 3 and do the upgrade to 3.0.2 If your on 9.x.x I would suggest that now might be a good time to switch to OS X. I've been doing all my editing in X since March or April and I find it better than 9.x.x

I used to own an Avid Media Composer suite and it had it's share of problems, especially in the early days, '94 and earlier. It's sort of the nature of this business. There is still alot of smoke, mirrors and magic going on and sometimes the stuff just refuses to work. I think Dan might be out in Vegas for the WEVA show, so I try to fill in the best i can until he checks the forums.

Jeff
Old August 20th, 2002, 11:25 PM   #28

Steve,
We feel your pain. But, as bleak as things may seem right now, don't let discouragement overwhelm you. Remember, I've seen some of your footage and can tell you flat-out that you have just too much skill to just hang it up. Walk away from it for a day or two.

I've not experienced your particular problem with FCP3 under X but I did recently have an oddball start-up glitch which may possibly shed light toward your solution. During start-up FCP seemed to choke when loading my most recent project, specificaly during the "preparing video for display" stage of start-up. While it didn't crash it seemed to just freeze. In my case the problem seemed to be several GIFs that I had imported for panning during a segment. In my case I restored an earlier version of the project file (which did not yet include the motion pans), used Photoshop to reduce the size of the GIFs and then re-imported the GIFs into the project. Problem gone! Go figure.

Scanning a place like 2-pop will inevitably place you in a blizzard of "problem" reports. In the "early" days of FCP 1.x many such reports seemed grounded in product flaws. These days the blizzard seems to come primarily from new users unfamiliar with the product. In any case, such forums will always attract "problems" looking for help.

Any way, dumping your preferences file should have the efffect of at least eliminating FCP's memory of the last project you were using (among other settings) and get you back to a tableau rasa footing. If it still doesn't start-up, I'd re-install...after having a delicious dinner and a few glasses of a favorite adult beverage.

Good luck to you, Steve.

Old August 21st, 2002, 07:08 AM   #29
Trustee

Thanks

Jeff & Ken,

Jeff- many thanks for personally offering to help me with these problems- you're a first rate guy.
Ken, thanks for the words. I've gotten FCP3 up and running again- but it involved deleting it completely from the Mac and doing a complete re-install...not a great experience.
I've been a Mac supporter from the day I adopted the Mac. I've gotten many pc users to switch and one complaint seems to surface- Mac Freeze....in OS 9 you'd occasionally get an error message and a code (which would help decipher the reason for the application error) but with OS X- all we get is a message stating the obvious (that the application has quit- duh)..let's hope Jaguar will do better on the promises of OS X.

Anyway- big thumbs up to you guys. I'm still alive and learning.
Old August 21st, 2002, 07:23 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Steve:

Got you got it worked out (even though a complete reinstall is a major PITA. Sorry I assumed (incorrectly apparently) that you were a novice. After reading Ken's comments, I checked out your work. Very impressive. Do hang in there. Your still work is very nice too.

Doug

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite