DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 25th, 2002, 01:13 AM   #406
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Jo,
I have the RTMac and, honestly, I can't currently recommend it to anyone using FCP3 under OS X. The RTMac provided some value when I was using FCP2 under OS 9. It's real-time effects were nice to have and the break-out box was very nice to have.

But after nearly a year of missed promises Matrox has still not provided OS X support for the RTMac and seems to have no idea when it will do so. The most they've provided so far is a driver that keeps the board from crashing Macs with nVidia displays. Also, since FCP3 provides real-time rendering of some of the most common effects and transitions the potential added-value of the RTMac has further dimished.

In summary, the RTMac has been the most disappointing purchase I've made in quite some time. It was a good product in theory and added value in its early days. But Matrox seems to have abandoned the product. Mine has been de-installed for quite some time and looks like it will stay that way indefinitely.

If this hasn't discouraged you I can make you a really great deal on an RTMac delivered right to your door for a great price!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2002, 06:12 AM   #407
Warden

I'm reading between the lines here, but I think this speaks to Apples plans for FCP in the future. i see a day in the not too distant future when many effects will be RT with no rendering to output. Avid is really going to push Apple in this entry level, pro NLE market.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2002, 08:42 AM   #408
Major Player

That depends on who you are and what you need to do. I'm currently shooting two music videos that will use MB. My option is to get into a Flame suite and do the same thing at a $450 rate/hour. The job would take 8 hrs in the Flame. MB saves me money since I know alot on how to work in AE.

If your work is merely "for fun" and your not filthy rich then I can't see the point of getting MB. If you make home movies don't buy MB.
Old July 26th, 2002, 09:26 AM   #409
New Boot

I'm doing a couple of DV short films and, along with the Mini35, I'm looking for otherways to get them to look more film-like. Do you find that MB does this?

e
bitnaut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2002, 07:13 AM   #410
Major Player

Absolutely. The philosophy of not adding scratches and grain is the way to go. MB does a very clean 24p/25p/30p conversion of interlaced material. Not perfect but the best conversion I've seen. Make sure you shoot for the MB specs to get the best results.

With good lighting, the right exposure, mini35 and skills in MB look suite you can't go wrong...
Old July 28th, 2002, 09:04 AM   #411
Air China Pilot

<<<-- Originally posted by Martin_M : Absolutely.
With good lighting, the right exposure, mini35 and skills in MB look suite you can't go wrong... -->>>

Haha .. that easy, eh? :)
Old July 28th, 2002, 12:08 PM   #412
Major Player

thanks rob for the info. but i dont now if fcp3 can output to mpeg1, it is not mentioned in the settings. Do you know?
thanks anyway,
David Slingerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2002, 12:36 PM   #413
Major Player

Yeah. They still haven't invented that "Automatic Award Look" preset in DV cameras. Hey Canon, wake up!

;)
Old July 28th, 2002, 01:53 PM   #414
Warden

In FCP you can choose export to FCP movie. Then import in Quicktime and export as AVI. I'm not sure if that will help. QuickTime 6 will encode to MPEG 4 or can create a VCD file that toast can burn. Quicktime 6 is not compatable with FCP, so you may want to look into the capabilities of Quicktime 5. FCP doesn't do well making MPEG 2 files. MPEG 1 will require DVD Studio Pro or a program like Cleaner. Confusing, I know.

Jeff
Old July 28th, 2002, 02:00 PM   #415
Major Player

okay so for cleaner i need to make a full contained movie and then import it in cleaner?? i must have a mpeg1 file because they want it that way! what is avi for codex?? it uses cinepac but i cant get any info on what it is..
confusing i dare say,
Old July 28th, 2002, 02:33 PM   #416
Warden

Cleaner is probably the best software for doing MPEG 1 on the Mac. The rendering is slow but the quality is much better than QuickTime and also more flexible. Do your files have audio? If so, they may need to be handled sperately, depending on the size of your project. What are you going to burn the CD's with, Toast?

Jeff
Old July 29th, 2002, 11:25 AM   #417
Regular Crew

Jeff

How do you cut the compensation on? I mix footage from time to time and usually have audio problems.

Thanks
Marcus
www.katanapro.com
Marcus Farrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2002, 11:42 AM   #418
Major Player

actually i was thinking of using my mac burner, so far it worked okay, why should i use toast?
Old July 29th, 2002, 06:54 PM   #419
Warden

Are you using FCP? If so, under preferences, check the box that says >Sync Adjust Movies Over__. Fill in the blank with 5 minutes. This forces FCP to count the audio samples rather than assume the audio is a perfect 48 KHz.

Jeff
Old July 29th, 2002, 06:58 PM   #420
Warden

If you've got Toast, use it. It is much simpler. You pick VCD as the type of CD you want to burn and Toast does the rest. I've never tried the built in Mac burner. I don't know if it will burn the CD correctly or not.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite