Helping Hands from 2004 - Page 29 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old August 23rd, 2004, 03:41 PM   #421
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

You have some very nice work in there, Josh!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old August 23rd, 2004, 03:52 PM   #422
Slash Rules!

Thank you.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 04:25 PM   #423
Regular Crew

GL-2 Folks...

Hello, all.

I have a project I'm just getting lined up that will be shot on a weekend day in the winter (probably early December). If everything goes smoothly, I will be looking for two GL-2s to be at the shooting along with mine.

I am located in Fonda, NY, which is about 35 miles west of Albany, right on the Thruway. If anyone might be interested, I will pay $100 for each camera for one long day of shooting. (Cash, of course, for your convenience.) Starting about 7AM until 9PM.

As this is a very long day, you are more than welcome to leave your camera. I would, of course, provide you with all my ID, address and info so you know this isn't some sort of scam. If you'd prefer to stay with us on the shoot, that would be great as well.

I'm filming material that will complete a feature, which is being expanded from a short I have already completed and gotten some really great feedback on.

I am asking if there might be any interest, just so I can make alternate rental plans if no one here is in the vicinity or there is simply no interest. If you respond that this might be a "go" for you, that is certainly, in no way, obligating you, as I still don't have a solid date or anything. I just want to find out if I can use this avenue or if I need to look around for other rentals.

Thanks a lot.

-Rusty-
Old August 23rd, 2004, 06:13 PM   #424
Regular Crew

Hi Bob,
I appreciate your reply and I have not even considered a gov grant. I have been really busy shooting these last few months, but now that school is back in session I will be getting calls about the club.

I have a waiting list of over 150 Girl Scouts for a video training day that we hope to do in October.

I have never applied for a grant from the gov before, but I will start a search this week. I have been tinkering with the idea of creating a non-profit organization called "Rick's Video Maniacs". Perhaps this will help as I start to apply for grants.
Starting a non-profit organization will also be a new thing for me.
I need to make sure that I can own my present company, and run a non-profit business and not violate any laws in the process.

I have not had much luck soliciting donations, perhaps there are a few folks that might be willing to sell me unused video gear such as SVHS cameras, lighting, monitors...

Any gear you might want to sell for very cheap.

For those who need proof that I really do work with the kids, please feel free to send me an e-mail, and I will be more than happy to put you in contact with some of the folks that mentioned a willingness to be references for my program.

I appreciate any and all advice offered.
Old August 25th, 2004, 06:04 AM   #425
Trustee

Rick, the gov has lots of grant programs. Even the EPA has grants for Environmental Education programs. There is an Federal Agency out in Pueblo, CO that handles a lot of those. Try a search on Google. Bob
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:00 AM   #426
New Boot

looking for a dolly

Hello everyone,

I'm making a film in baltimore and we want to get a shot where we have the camera hanging off the side of a passenger door of a moving car. This is the perspective we want...

http://cache.gettyimages.com/thumb/E009436.jpg?x=x&a=E009436&b=PDIB&t=1

We're looking for a dolly or some kind of equipment that will be able to hold the camera in this position and keep it sturdy. I'm in the Washington, D.C area. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Anthony
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:14 AM   #427
Major Player

Sent you an e-mail
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:28 AM   #428
Wrangler

A dolly is not what you are looking for. You need a car mount. Lots of those available and they are all fairly expensive. Consider making your own.

Do use a protective lens filter as the chances that a front wheel will kick up dust, dirt, and gravel is fairly high.
Old August 25th, 2004, 11:35 AM   #429
Regular Crew

Howd it go Charles?
Old August 25th, 2004, 03:15 PM   #430
Wrangler

It went well!

DVinfo.net member Nick Hiltgen joined me as assistant editor and did a great job of downloading clips from the Firestore onto a firewire drive, and relabeling them with scene numbers. At crunch time I realized that I needed an establishing shot and sent him out to steal a shot of a house exterior (he had to run away with the camera when the resident of the house came out to investigate!)

I ended up with a full crew of 10, with all of the bases covered. It was a long shoot (we went until 3:30 am) but a good one. The Mini35 is just too sweet, it really is. I love the pictures I get with it.

I gave myself 2 hours of sleep and started cutting. Didn't make the 6 p.m. deadline, but we don't hold the filmmakers to that in Instant Films, it actually makes a bit more drama at the screening when the films are arriving at the last second!

I was happy with the results. There were some extremely good films this time around. I'll post when they go up on our site.
Old August 25th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #431
Inner Circle

Charles,

I just relocated to San Mateo, (about 15 miles south of San Francisco). Are there any plans for a 48 hour shootout up here in the near future?

Richard
Old August 25th, 2004, 04:54 PM   #432
Regular Crew

When's the next one?
Old August 25th, 2004, 08:08 PM   #433
Regular Crew

Thanks again Bob. You are indeed a great source for new ideas for me. Please feel free to write me directly if you want to

Rcasuso@aol.com

Thanks again,
Rick
Old August 25th, 2004, 08:31 PM   #434
Wrangler

Richard:

We don't have any concrete plans to take our particular show on the road at the moment, although there are other variations on the 48-hour theme that do travel.

Gerald:

Details on our website at www.instantfilms.com. Next show is October 10th, and we have a "best-of" screening scheduled for Sept. 22nd--that should be a great evening.
Old August 26th, 2004, 03:28 AM   #435
Tourist

You could try out the video gogh AFX plug-in from revision fx (www.revisionfx.com) that should give you the effect you're after.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands