Various posts concerning GR-HD1U and JY-HD10U - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old August 29th, 2003, 03:59 PM   #121
Regular Crew

What ohters on the forum told me:

Barry Green said:
Theoretically you should be able to get exquisite slow motion, with motion rendering comparable to the VariCam, by shooting in 60fps. But, you're sacrificing the HD image resolution in exchange for higher temporal resolution, so I don't know if the two would intercut well. If you want to shoot your entire project in SD 16:9 MPEG2 mode, you should be able to get the best slow motion possible on any SD-format camera (making allowances for the camera's other limitations, such as narrow latitude, etc).

And David Newman said:
Currently Aspect HD doesn't support the 480p mode, but supporting 60p as a slow motion source is an excellent idea that I hope we can implement in the future.

And I want to say to JVC and Aspect HD and Barry Green + David Newman, Thank you! Very nice!
Old August 29th, 2003, 06:49 PM   #122
MPS Digital Studios

Go here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=13858

This is kind of off-topic, so go to TOTEM!

heath
Old August 29th, 2003, 09:23 PM   #123
Regular Crew

I partially agree this is off-topic
(since this is a JVC forum)

but since the essence of the JVC is HD/progressive/filmesque imagery,

I thought it relevant to talk about the HIGH END of this technology
(the MTV Awards cameras- whatever they were)
as we currently discuss the LOW END (the JY-HD10u)...

The reason? We see how good it can get,
and the road to get there.

Anyone agree?

T. Patrick Murray

"The HOOP DREAMS of football..."

USA TODAY (Mike Clark) FOUR STARS
Old September 1st, 2003, 03:12 PM   #124
Major Player

Steve Mullens 4HDV Package - Anyone try it yet?

I'm very interested in this package and I know today is suppose to be the ship date to the folks who bought it early.

Since I have yet to buy the camera or of course Steve's package, I thought I'd post a question to see if anyone has tried it and can confirm it works as great as it sounds it will.

So, what can you tell me.

Thanks in Advance

DBK
Old September 2nd, 2003, 12:04 AM   #125
HDV Cinema

I just sent 4HDV to those who had pre-ordered it.

Thank you for waiting for it to be finished!

Hopefully, some of these folks will post comments.

Remember it covers both the HD1 and the HD10.

And the Shooting Guide includes a Chapter on both Mac and PC editing solutions.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 01:07 PM   #126
Major Player

Am I wrong here?

I’ve come to notice that there is one little overlooked advantage that the JVC HD10 has over all other SD cams: Bigger internet video windows for the same, or even less bandwidth then standard SD clips. Am I wrong?
Old September 2nd, 2003, 03:32 PM   #127
Trustee

Only if Media Player and the like start supporting the MPEG_TS. But Windows Media 9 can always be configured to use less bandwidth, even for SD, so I really don't see what the advantage would be, except with this camera your source material is overcompressed already
Old September 3rd, 2003, 12:39 AM   #128
Trustee

Internet delivery never uses the same codec as the cam.
Popular Internet codecs are WM9, DiVX, and Quicktime. You compress your usually huge files with these codecs to make them net friendly. The size of the files will depend on the resolution and the amount of compression you set.
Old September 7th, 2003, 12:23 PM   #129
Major Player

So did anyone have a chance to test this yet?

I'm really interested in it, but would really like to read a review?

Cheers

DBK
Old September 8th, 2003, 07:18 AM   #130
Tourist

HD10 not available in UK so use a US cam?

I’m looking to get the HD10, but its not available in the UK and the PAL version which is due soon will not have the HD enabled. Can anyone see problems in using a US purchased camera here in the UK?
My plans are to use it only for capture of high quality/high resolution HD and SD for editing within FCP on my G4 Mac, and then output to DVD for the education market. I presume I can configure my DVD’s for use on PAL or NTSC televisions? I don’t do film work.
I presume that I will need Steve Mullen’s software, but other than that and the relevant transformer for the different electrical output, can anyone see other problems with this set up?

Many thanks
Old September 8th, 2003, 11:18 AM   #131
HDV Cinema

You don't need a transformer.

Your DVDs will be NTSC not PAL. Which isn't a problem in many cases.

You should purchase an LCD projector for viewing. It will present 720p60.
Old September 8th, 2003, 12:12 PM   #132
Tourist

Selling JY-HD10U

We just purchased the JY-HD10u last week and have found that it doesn't meet our needs for Visual FX production because it does not have manual control over the iris like our work requires, and post is a major issue with our existing post pipeline.

We rolled about 10 minutes of tape, and after 2 days of extensively looking at its features, we decided it doesn't meet our requirements. We are selling the camera instead of returning it because the vendor we purchased from wants to charge us a 15% restocking fee but it isn't worth taking the steep loss. (Beware of Broadway Photo!)

The camera is listed on ebay right now and comes with 2 extra long life 300MaH batteries, 3 filter kit, and n AC/DC rapid charger, all unopened and brand new. Bid rpice is $3099, Buy Now for $3199. We just paid $3700 with the accessories, last Monday.

Best Regards,

Jim Clark
Old September 8th, 2003, 01:28 PM   #133
MPS Digital Studios

Jim,

I feel your pain, but the losses would be too great for me to sell my HD10. Lesson learned for us! (But the image quality is great and it's only a matter of time before we can edit without any problems.)

JVC, make everything MANUAL in addition to auto!

heath
Old September 13th, 2003, 04:06 PM   #134
Regular Crew

the single chip debate

wow, I just got back from B&H with my new HD10 and have been doing A/B tests with my 3 chip GL-1. The resolution is drastically better, but what I didn't expect is it's superb color reproduction. The GL1 was never especially good, it tended to blow out the reds. the A/B tests showed a DRASTIC improvment in color reproduction over the GL1 and in my opinion it can rival any 2/3" 3xCCD broadcast camera I've seen. This is in moderate to to good lighting (interior). Saturation suffered in lower lighting - but ANY camera would to some degree. There has been much written about the light sensitivity of this camera, I've found that it's much better then I expected. In low light it's contrasty. In the same light, my GL1 would be brighter, but far more grainy. I would opt for the HD10's look.

The prob. with MY HD10 is it's missing a pixel (or small group of them, so it's going back for an exchange. Is this a common prob.?? Just hope it doesnt happen on the road--

Thanks!!

Steven Galvano
Old September 13th, 2003, 06:17 PM   #135
Outer Circle

The single chip depate? There's nothing wrong with 1 CCD cams, it's just that some are better than others. I've got 2 older JVC 1 chip cams, and I use them to put bread and butter on my table. Concerning the GL1, perhaps compare the GL2's footage of that with the HD10 in DV mode, this way you will be comparing only 1 apple with 1 orange, instead of 2 with each. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U