Are many people here still using their HD-1/10s? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old March 21st, 2007, 11:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Are many people here still using their HD-1/10s?

Im sure we all want or have the Canon XH-A1 or maybe a Sony product, but are any old-timers (with the HD-1/10 that is) still using their HDxs?

I still have and use mine quite a bit, but I think it's time for me to start capturing all the old tapes on a hard drive for the future when I no longer have it.

These HDx threads are certainly slowing down and will even more as XH-A1 prices come down (and there is a $250 rebate!).
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:54 PM   #2
Trustee

Sold mine tonight (sniff, sniff).
Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yep

I still use my HD10 all the time. It took me almost a year to master it so why stop now. However I do love my XL2.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:25 PM   #4
Major Player

I always wondered this myself, there seemed to be quite a lot of HD1/10U users back when it came out but all went quiet on the HD1/10U boards by comparison to back then.

Cool to hear people are still using them, if I may ask, what kind of projects are you guys using them for?
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:32 PM   #5
Major Player

Im with you Darrin, it took me a really long time to master mine and learn its' limitations.

Now that I have it under control & have also learned how to give it a little PP in Vegas when necessary, I like the look of the video it puts out. I think I prefer the look of it over 1080i in many cases.

If they had made a smaller HD100/110 like Canon turned the H1 into the XH-A1, that would have been me. There are still very few TVs to this day that display 1080i or P.

Im using mine mostly for B camera at weddings and taking places I don't yet want to take the new camera like boating or the beach.

I shot some back yard video a couple days ago- 16MB file:

http://thegilliamfamily.com/GRHD1vid...Ptestclip1.wmv
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:55 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks for the feedback -- maybe I won't archive this board after all. For a little while longer anyway.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:20 AM   #7
Regular Crew

HD10u

I use my HD10 as second camera with my Xl2..It works a lot better then you think it would. I have shot Weddings, Corporate Interview Panels, Music Video's with it..Personally I would take 720 over 1080i anyday, but hey that's just me. I'll tell you what is really cool.. I can render to 1280X720 and then stream it from my PC onto my Xbox 360 onto my 52" HDTV and it looks really good. Anyway Thank you Chris H for keeping it going..
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:10 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I would keep it but the size limits where I am willing to take it so it has to go; unfortunately because I like 720p on my LCD...

Yes, Chris, I still have it after DVi and ebay (both buyers on ebay went to "no longer registered" for fraud just days after they won it) roller coaster. Actually I am glad I sill have it...
Old March 27th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #9
Major Player

Maybe this Forum could be merged with the HD7 since the group is called 'Consumer / Single Chip HD Camcorders'. That sounds legitimate. It would be a nice spot to speak about the new Everio HD cam.
Old March 27th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Sold mine about three months ago, but I do miss it.

Mike
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Still have mine and I use it all the time...as a paper weight.
The firewire output broke again but this time no warranty to cover the repair.
I did manage to squeeze one more thing out of it before hanging it up though.

My Grindhouse Trailer
Shot with the hd-10 and a letus 35a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O02mNMbGOtc
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #12
Inner Circle

i still got mine, but deseperately seeking to sale (european based, US standard camera, so you see the problem).
Old April 6th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam View Post
Im with you Darrin, it took me a really long time to master mine and learn its' limitations.

Now that I have it under control & have also learned how to give it a little PP in Vegas when necessary, I like the look of the video it puts out. I think I prefer the look of it over 1080i in many cases.

If they had made a smaller HD100/110 like Canon turned the H1 into the XH-A1, that would have been me. There are still very few TVs to this day that display 1080i or P.

Im using mine mostly for B camera at weddings and taking places I don't yet want to take the new camera like boating or the beach.

I shot some back yard video a couple days ago- 16MB file:

http://thegilliamfamily.com/GRHD1vid...Ptestclip1.wmv
Is that kid eating chalk? Thats a hilarious clip. Always enjoy how the cams make the simplest of shots look so filmic.

Good stuff Erik. Got more then I expected from a Youtube clip. Is this just a mock trailer or are you planning a full movie?
Before you hang your HD10 up permanently consider that it does offer 480p60 uncompressed component out which is 960'ishx480 which could be used for various action shots or high risk situations where if the cam "bit-it" you wouldn't be so sad. Tether it to a laptop or small portable PC and you still have a very useful tool, especially with that 35mm adapter.
Old April 6th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hodson View Post
Good stuff Erik. Got more then I expected from a Youtube clip.
Haha Thanks Ken.
It was shot for the SXSW Grindhouse Trailer contest, but seeing as I don't know how to just write a trailer I wrote and shot a five minute short. So I still have to finish that. But if I were to shoot this as a full length movie...I'd use a different cam.
I think my HD10 could possibly still manage another short though. It's a tough little cam.
The abuse it's suffered and it still records is amazing to me.
I should just get it repaired.
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #15
Major Player

I am actually thinking of getting this cam for my purposes and as an intermediate cam, I think it would be great. I understand it needs light(35 lux or footcandles), but that really isn't anything from the light meter I have. I am sure it will look better than my TRV19... Especially for the price and manual functions.. Even though its an older model, you really can't seem to beat it..

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U